Dunwich Dynamo 2014

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
A little early, but I was wondering if anyone is Dynamoing this year? Its good to know that the return trip home is already sorted rather than having to get on the coach.
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Yep. Am wondering if there is any better way of organising a minibus or van for myself and my chum rather than using the coach!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • EKE_38BPM
    menthel wrote:
    Yep. Am wondering if there is any better way of organising a minibus or van for myself and my chum rather than using the coach!
    It all depends on how much you are willing to pay. Hire an estate car/minibus/van and get a mate to drive it there and back or go with a man in a van type company.

You could do what I have done: Get married, buy an estate car, tell wife she is doing the driving duties.
    Cheaper in the short term (the day of the ride), but waaaaay more expensive in the long run.

• I have done the latter, worked quite well.

Why not LDL?
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • menthel
    I have done the latter, worked quite well.

Why not LDL?

Because I did the first step of EKE's plan and got married. I can imagine what I would be told if I suggested I did that. It wouldn't be polite. I also don't think she would drive to Dunwich to pick us up. I will have a word with my group and see if they want to splash a little cash on a man with a half minibus half van.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Actually, I just realised, this was before we got married, so wasting all that money on an engagement ring and wedding is not needed for this option.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    You could do what I have done: Get married, buy an estate car, tell wife she is doing the driving duties.
    Cheaper in the short term (the day of the ride), but waaaaay more expensive in the long run.
    Watch your timing - I did that but in between times sprogs arrived and the plan to "arrive early enough to pick me up before I get too cold" (usually hit the beach by 6:30 tbh) fell flat when they ended up setting off at about the time I was hoping to be picked up due to all the unnecessary faffing about for eccentricities like showering, being dressed, breakfast, pit-stops on the A14 etc. It's a three hour journey; I was getting a bit grumpy by 11.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Very interested, when is it?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    website wrote:
    The DD is always held on the Saturday night/Sunday morning nearest to full moon in July.
    July 12th this year apparently.
  • I plan to do it this year. Fortunately, I live about 25 miles from Dunwich, so the logistics of getting home are fairly straightforward.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    menthel wrote:

Why not LDL?

Because I did the first step of EKE's plan and got married. I can imagine what I would be told if I suggested I did that. It wouldn't be polite. I also don't think she would drive to Dunwich to pick us up. I will have a word with my group and see if they want to splash a little cash on a man with a half minibus half van.

Bear in mind that the space in the back of a splitter truck isn't necessarily great. Depending on frame size you might struggle to get more than 2/3 bikes in.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Hot Orange wrote:
    I plan to do it this year. Fortunately, I live about 25 miles from Dunwich, so the logistics of getting home are fairly straightforward.

Commuter forum fry-ups at your house?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • menthel
    menthel wrote:

Why not LDL?

Bear in mind that the space in the back of a splitter truck isn't necessarily great. Depending on frame size you might struggle to get more than 2/3 bikes in.

There is only ever likely to be 3-4 of us max and I guess popping front wheels off will leave a little extra room. The other option is to organise a few more people together and get something with a trailer.
    RIP commute...
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Hot Orange wrote:
    I plan to do it this year. Fortunately, I live about 25 miles from Dunwich, so the logistics of getting home are fairly straightforward.

Yeah, sure, all welcome. I'm sure Mrs HO will be fine with it...
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • I did it for the first time last year and really enjoyed it - apart from the journey back! While I was grateful for the coach arrangements, it just took an age - queuing for the coach, waiting for the bike to be offloaded at the other end etc. If the weather had been more pleasant then a few hours of lazing on the beach would have made it more bearable. If I do the ride again this year (and I would like to) I'm thinking of booking a local guest-house/hotel for the Sunday, then taking a day off work and riding back on the Monday - anyone ever done this?
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Hot Orange wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Hot Orange wrote:

Yeah, sure, all welcome. I'm sure Mrs HO will be fine with it...

Excellent, just post your full address on this public forum and it will all be fine.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Right, that's a rudimentary LDL plan sorted, three of us, passing through London Fields circa 4pm ish and navigating ourselves, plan is to hit D pre dawn and then head for home. we reckon a stead 32 is possible while keeping fresh but we could do with two more to make five of us to keep a nice through and off on the dull sections, any takers?

About 410k in total from my manor.
  • goonz
    32 mph???
  • goonz wrote:
    32 mph???

I'm really hoping 32kph, but even that is a little :shock: for 410Km.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • menthel
    Right, that's a rudimentary LDL plan sorted, three of us, passing through London Fields circa 4pm ish and navigating ourselves, plan is to hit D pre dawn and then head for home. we reckon a stead 32 is possible while keeping fresh but we could do with two more to make five of us to keep a nice through and off on the dull sections, any takers?

About 410k in total from my manor.

Kind of defeats the object really. Its all about the experience and the fun of the ride rather than a mad dash.
    RIP commute...
  • I've done it for the experience and it is good fun, much of our debate while doing itwas could you do the return leg as well, just a pain when someone takes a wrong turn and you've followed someone elses rear light by mistake or are busy faffing with busses to get home.

The best routes were that of the chaps I chatted from Norwich who'd rode down to that London and then were effectively heading home over night.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited February 2014
    Really enjoyed last year. Didn't sleep from Sat morning to Sunday night with 160 miles all in.

If I do it this year there will be more pub stops & under no circumstance am I doing the coach again. Stuck in London traffic in that heat, with some stranger trying to snuggle against my shoulder, never again :lol:

Oh and doing it fixed ftw.
  • Yip, I'll be doing it again this year. Probably on the fixed again. There's no way I'm travelling back on the coach this year - once was enough. We'll either hire a minibus and a van or rope in our spouses to pick us up.
    Condor Pista
    50x16
  • EKE_38BPM
    I've done the DD. I've ridden fixed for two years. I think I speak from a knowledgable position when I say anyone doing the DD fixed is a nutter. Its not that there are any huge hills, but after 150km even the slightest incline had me reaching for a lower gear or loving my freewheel.

I fully intend to have many pub stops this time round. When I last did it I carried a can of beer to enjoy as soon as I hit the beach. This time I may either a) carry more beer, or, b) carry a hip flask of some ping pong tiddly.
    No waiting for the pub to open for me!

• menthel
    Whilst it's not got any big hills, it's certainly not flat! It rolls along nicely with plenty of up and down, especially in "flat" Suffolk. The route is rather nice though.
    RIP commute...
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Got access to a transit van this year so planning on driving it up there the day before, training back into london and then setting off with the masses the next day. The horror stories of getting the coach back last year were enough to convince me that it's either collection at the other end or biking back. :?

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Tempted. But not doing it fixed. And not doing the coach. Might do it on the matt black stealth number. Happy to contribute if anyone has a spare space for the trip back?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I've done the DD. I've ridden fixed for two years. I think I speak from a knowledgable position when I say anyone doing the DD fixed is a nutter. Its not that there are any huge hills, but after 150km even the slightest incline had me reaching for a lower gear or loving my freewheel.
    !

I don't think I'm a nutter - but then I would say that! It didn't present any problems on a 49x16, the only problem was going slowly enough for friends and, when that failed, trying to identify them in a sea of bike lights.
    Condor Pista
    50x16
  • goonz
    What other options are there about arranging return travel other than the coach? Is there a train at all?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    goonz wrote:
    What other options are there about arranging return travel other than the coach? Is there a train at all?

There are mainland trains but its a 30 mile ride to Ipswich and they can fill up with too many bikes.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    iPete wrote:
    goonz wrote:

There are mainland trains but its a 30 mile ride to Ipswich and they can fill up with too many bikes.

the nearest train station is actually Darsham, prob about 6miles, but its only a small couple of carriage type train with very limited cycle space, that would take you to Ipswich to get the mainline into London or whereever.