Any training better than no training?

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
Hi all.

I'm trying to squeeze in some zone 2 training sessions on the turbo and struggling to get the time. I want to do 1-2hrs twice a week (I do other training aswell) I want a good base for road and MTB. My question is about when I don't have time to do an hour or more, is doing 30/40 mins in zone 2 any good or is it a waste of time and I'd be better not training that day?

Chris

Comments

• If that combination of intensity and duration leaves you in need of recovery, then it will be of benefit. If it doesn't, then it won't be of much benefit. Given the limited amount of time you have you would be far better off increasing the intensity. For most purposes anything below threshold (approximately 25 mile time trial pace) is effectively an aerobic 'base' building session.

That said anything usually is better than nothing!
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    30-40 minutes is a perfect duration for some high intensity interval training (including warm up and cool down).
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • DiscoBoy wrote:
    30-40 minutes is a perfect duration for some high intensity interval training (including warm up and cool down).

Give the OP's aims, 20 - 30 minutes at / just below threshold, plus a warm up and cool down, would probably be more advised.
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • DiscoBoy wrote:

Didn't think of that disco - great idea, thanks.
  • DiscoBoy wrote:

No longer looking to build a 'good base for road and MTB' then? :?
  • DiscoBoy wrote:

No longer looking to build a 'good base for road and MTB' then? :?

Yes, mostly definitely.

But when I have reduced available time it's another alternative to not doing anything.

When you said 'threshold' earlier do you mean lactate threshold? Not sure what mine is, not done the step test yet ;)
  • BenderRodriguez
    BenderRodriguez Posts: 907
    edited February 2014
    When you said 'threshold' earlier do you mean lactate threshold? Not sure what mine is, not done the step test yet
    If you are simply looking for the 'biggest bang for your buck', just ride at the pace that you can only just sustain for the duration of your session!
  • When you said 'threshold' earlier do you mean lactate threshold? Not sure what mine is, not done the step test yet
    Just ride at the pace that you can only just sustain for the duration of your session!

So max out for 20/30 mins - good job I love pain!! Haha
  • When you said 'threshold' earlier do you mean lactate threshold? Not sure what mine is, not done the step test yet
    Just ride at the pace that you can only just sustain for the duration of your session!

So max out for 20/30 mins - good job I love pain!! Haha
    Maybe, maybe not. Maxing out may be fine if it doesn't lead to any issues with training sustainability, in particular motivation. One doesn't need to max out to obtain good benefit from short duration sessions. It's about making it hard enough, and that's really only something that can be answered in the context of the rest of your training, amongst other things.
  • So max out for 20/30 mins - good job I love pain!! Haha

I wouldn't see an effort of 20 - 30 minutes as being 'maxing out', being no harder than '10' pace at best. Sitting just on/ below your threshold shouldn't be that stressful, even if going just that bit harder certainly will get pretty stressful, and usually sooner rather than later!