Majorca, I love it.

Comments

• john5339
    john5339 Posts: 10
    Hi - Ive been to Majorca many times in the off season - but my wife has booked a quick break in Puerto Pollenca in early July. I know it will be hot but presumably still worth bringing a bike for early am/later afternoon rides. Presumably the traffic will still be ok as its not school holiday time yet. Advice appreciated,

ta - John
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    john5339 wrote:
    Hi - Ive been to Majorca many times in the off season - but my wife has booked a quick break in Puerto Pollenca in early July. I know it will be hot but presumably still worth bringing a bike for early am/later afternoon rides. Presumably the traffic will still be ok as its not school holiday time yet. Advice appreciated,

ta - John

Traffic is never *that* bad in Mallorca, except around Palma. Personally I would be aiming for crack of dawn type rides at that time of year, but then I don't deal with heat very well (or cold!)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    July is school holiday time in some areas but if you are out early/late to avoid the heat then it won't be a problem. Roads are busier between 10:00 & 17:00 in my experience.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    SUPER EXCITED - I'll be there at my parent's place in September and in February too.

Any recommendations for hire from Santa Ponsa? Been looking at Canyon Ultimates and Emondas. As much as I'd love an Aeroad or Dogma I don't see the point with all that climbing to be done.

Will I have to stick to rides at the crack of dawn in September, temp wise?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Poptart242 wrote:
    SUPER EXCITED - I'll be there at my parent's place in September and in February too.

Any recommendations for hire from Santa Ponsa? Been looking at Canyon Ultimates and Emondas. As much as I'd love an Aeroad or Dogma I don't see the point with all that climbing to be done.

When I was there at the start of October it was already far too hot for me even though the sun had not yet poked above the horizon! But others were in arm and leg warmers, so it depends!
  • tourdriving
    tourdriving Posts: 228
    Poptart242 wrote:

Bikehire http://www.rad-international.com/en/bikeinfo/ 07180 Santa Ponsa (ROAD-MTB-TREKKING-E-BIKE)
    https://tourdriving.wordpress.com bike hire and travel links, in 47 countries http://ukbikerentals.com UK Bike & Motorcycle hire in Counties after ABC
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Mallorca, so overrated. I think the main reason people cycle there is because many others do. A lot of better roads and climbs in mainland Spain IMO. And cheaper. Winter weather is a bit crap too compared to other areas in the mainland, or even the Canary Islands.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • poptart242
    poptart242 Posts: 531
    Poptart242 wrote:

Bikehire http://www.rad-international.com/en/bikeinfo/ 07180 Santa Ponsa (ROAD-MTB-TREKKING-E-BIKE)

Perfect, much appreciated :D
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Mallorca, so overrated. I think the main reason people cycle there is because many others do. A lot of better roads and climbs in mainland Spain IMO. And cheaper. Winter weather is a bit crap too compared to other areas in the mainland, or even the Canary Islands.
    Im not sure many would describe it as overrated, but its certainly overpopulated with cyclists in the spring. Makes the school run a f**cking nightmare!
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Poptart242 wrote:
    Poptart242 wrote:

Perfect, much appreciated :D

We've used Rad-International for years, very good bikes and very good prices.
    SW Majorca is brilliant, just ask Bernithebiker !
    A stop in Esporles for a drink and pastry mid ride is just heaven 8)
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • CStar
    CStar Posts: 63
    Just back from 10 days in Puerto Pollensa. Thanks for all the advice on here. Had an excellent time despite a broken chain at the top of La Victoria outside Alcudia and a close encounter with a goat on the fastest bit of the descent of Sa Calobra!

Max Huerzeler in PP were very friendly and helpful for the rental and I got a decent Centurion bike with Ultegra. Would definitely recommend.
    MTB: Self-built Santa Cruz Highball Alloy 10 Spd Deore.
    Winter: Emmelle 1980's Reynolds Steel retro
    Summer: Specialized Secteur Elite w. upgrades.
    Commuter: Fausto Coppi San Remo
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    CStar wrote:
    Just back from 10 days in Puerto Pollensa. Thanks for all the advice on here. Had an excellent time despite a broken chain at the top of La Victoria outside Alcudia and a close encounter with a goat on the fastest bit of the descent of Sa Calobra!

Max Huerzeler in PP were very friendly and helpful for the rental and I got a decent Centurion bike with Ultegra. Would definitely recommend.

Did you get to Sa Calobra early? I'd heard it was crazy busy during the day so got a lift to near the top and rode down. I got to the bottom at the crack of dawn and was only saw 5-6 coming down on my way up. Glad I did it and the views of the road are cool but probably wouldn't bother again.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Anyone with experience of Tramuntana Tours in Port Soller?

We're heading over in 3 weeks time and just about to book a bike but wanted a bit of feedback if possible.
  • craigus89
    Dinyull wrote:
    Anyone with experience of Tramuntana Tours in Port Soller?

We're heading over in 3 weeks time and just about to book a bike but wanted a bit of feedback if possible.

Yep they were pretty good. I walked into their shop last summer with no booking and took a bike for 4 days. It was a Trek with Di2 (ever so slightly ropey bike, but all functioned properly and had no issues whatsoever, condition as expected for a hire bike) and I had it for 4 days, they let me collect it the evening before my booking so that I could get out early the following morning for no extra charge too which was good of them.
  • dinyull
    Awesome, cheers.

Also, are there any days anyone would recommend avoiding Puig Major and Sa Calobra? Ie, days when tourist busses arrive. I am planning on heading out early to avoid them and the heat but if some days are better than others I'll aim for them.
  • craigus89
    Are you planning on doing Puig then riding on to Sa Calobra? I'm not sure what time it gets busy on Sa Calobra, but I definitely wouldn't want to be meeting many vehicles on it, especially the quality of some of the driving I saw over there. The morning I did Sa Calobra I got a lift up to the tunnel at the top of Puig to give me an hour head start plus I was actually pretty knackered and didn't fancy doing both climbs that particular morning.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    gabriel959 wrote:

Do you have any more specific suggestions? I'm toying with a trip towards the end of the year and being cheaper is definitely a factor.
  • dinyull
    Yeah, plan on doing both and as I'm on honeymoon only have the 1 day for cycling.

What time were you at the bottom of Sa Calobra?
  • craigus89
    Ah right, does you Mrs know you're planning this! :D

I was at the bottom at 8am. Obviously depends on your fitness but as a guide it took me exactly an hour to get up Puig @ about 8.5mph, then from the tunnel at the top its about 35 mins down to the bottom of Sa Calobra. From the tunnel at the top of the Puig it's downhill to the viaduct where you turn off (10 mins), then a short climb to the top of Sa Calobra itself (10 mins) then the decent down.

It was proper dead at that time, a bit chilly on the way down even in mid June so take a Gillet. I'm afraid I don't know what time it gets busy though.
  • dinyull
    She does yep haha.

That's spot on cheers. Had planned on a 6am start so probably looking like being bottom of Sa Calobra 8 ish which sounds perfect.

Just need to check with the hotel about storing a bike now.
  • craigus89
    Port de Soller is beautiful too if you haven't been before, nice spot for a Honeymoon. Congrats.
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    CStar wrote:

Broke a chain in exactly the same place in May on our first night cycling. Thankfully I had a quick link with me
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Thinking of doing this next year - but have no idea where to start. I will be going with my non cycling wife - so would like some organised rides. Any suggestions ?
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    kingrollo wrote:
    Thinking of doing this next year - but have no idea where to start. I will be going with my non cycling wife - so would like some organised rides. Any suggestions ?

I've said it before, but if you have a non-cycling partner and want to keep them happy, be in or near Palma. In the Spring, it's usually too chilly to swim in the sea or outdoor pools, so not much point being in a beach resort.

My family (wife, 2 teenage daughters) love Palma, it's shops, restaurants, markets, architecture, etc. The only slight problem is that the credit card tends to get a beating in all those fancy boutiques!
  • It depends what time of year, before April, then yes. April can be hitty missy, sometimes it's been shorts only, have to go swimming to cool off weather, other times a light jacket has been needed. Much into May and it's just hot as usual.
  • pblakeney
    kingrollo wrote:

I've said it before, but if you have a non-cycling partner and want to keep them happy, be in or near Palma. In the Spring, it's usually too chilly to swim in the sea or outdoor pools, so not much point being in a beach resort.

My family (wife, 2 teenage daughters) love Palma, it's shops, restaurants, markets, architecture, etc. The only slight problem is that the credit card tends to get a beating in all those fancy boutiques!
    Any specific location tips for the first week in May?
    I usually do one week with the boys in Port Pollensa and the wife joins me for a second week when they leave.
    She fancies going to Palma instead next year so I may be doing a 2 location stay.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • dinyull
    I'm away there a week on Monday :mrgreen: can't wait.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    PBlakeney wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Any specific location tips for the first week in May?
    I usually do one week with the boys in Port Pollensa and the wife joins me for a second week when they leave.
    She fancies going to Palma instead next year so I may be doing a 2 location stay.

Early May weather should be quite good, but this year it didn't really get going until late May, April was chilly (ish) and a bit showery.

Anyway, won't be too hot for Palma. A lot depends on budget of course - there are some superb hotels in old town Palma like the San Francesc, Can Sera, Can Alomar, etc. They're currently renovating a lovely old building opposite our flat into a boutique 5 star hotel which should be quite nice and ready for next Spring (top of Calle San Jaume, above the Born).

Or if you want to be closer to beaches, go West of Palma (not East, not so nice, apart from Portixol, walking distance from Palma). Portals Nous, Bendinat, Illetes and Andratx all nice, Magaluf not so, but it's cleaning up fast and they have the best beach!

The cycling in this area is excellent with some of the best climbs on the island, plus of course the infamous coast road from Andratx to Soller.

Another bonus is the transfer from airport; 10 minutes.
  • pblakeney
    ..Or if you want to be closer to beaches, go West of Palma (not East, not so nice, apart from Portixol, walking distance from Palma). Portals Nous, Bendinat, Illetes and Andratx all nice, Magaluf not so, but it's cleaning up fast and they have the best beach!...
    Probably West as I want to head out for morning rides and back for lunch. :wink:
    I'll look at those. Cheers!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Id really like to take my own bike - but it seems like an enormous amount of hassle.......

Id rather ride with an organised group - than pootle around on my own - seen or two places advertise such things...any experience ?