Recovery spin

Smithster
Smithster Posts: 117
Just a quick question if anyone can help?

Went for a longer ride yesterday, which I found harder than normal with the wind being in my face for the most of it. This has left my legs a bit sore today and with the extra resistance, I feel like I do after a 100 mile ride, rather than the 70 I did.

Question I have is, would you, or are there any major benefits to having a light spin today to aid recovery? Or would you be better off just plain resting till fighting fit again. The light spin would be on the turbo, and as I use trainer road, is there any good workouts on there applicable, or would you just use a free ride spinning at a certain percentage of your FTP.

Cheers.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    A 'workout' is not really a 'recovery spin' - for obvious reasons. Either rest fully, or spin your legs lightly on the turbo with minimal effort. Don't worry about %FTP or anything else like that.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I had that a couple of weeks ago cycling into a driving wind for half the ride. For the second part of the ride I was dragging myself round even going with the wind as it was gusting all over the place. The next day I just took the dog for a walk and ate / drank well to recover. No pain just tired. For that type of ride recovery can be under estimated.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    A recovery spin or a foam roller and stretching session would help you feel fresher tomorrow.

Something like 30 minutes easy pace on the turbo should do it.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • You may want to learn some techniques for cycling into a headwind also.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Any of the shorter Free Ride 'workouts' (30 / 45 / 60 min) at <60% FTP is what I do. If you get remotely uncomfortable, just throttle back, or stop and stretch, or stop when you've had enough.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Cheers All.

Think I'll try a light spin for a short while and see how I fair, just to get the blood flowing and the muscles moving.

Reference the techniques for riding in the wind, aside from I guess getting low on the drops, what other techniques are there?

I think where I struggle in the wind, is maintaining that constant pace. Where one minute your zipping along then bang you hit a gust and it stops you in your tracks.
  • I try to swallow as much air as I can and then chuff it out with as much force as I can muster. A few of these potent gusts can really help out when riding into a headwind.
  • wardieboy wrote:
    I try to swallow as much air as I can and then chuff it out with as much force as I can muster. A few of these potent gusts can really help out when riding into a headwind.
    I bet your friends love drafting behind you.