If I wanted to go 1 x 10

Am I right in thinking I could remove the front mech and shifter
Remove inner and outer rings ( front) replacing bolts with single ring bolts
And shorten the chain ?

Is that it ?

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    That will produce a working1x10 system, yes, but you'll almost certainly want to add some sort of chain retention, as without the front derailleur you'll likely have lots of problems with that. Your choices are:

Narrow-wide chainring (if your rear derailleur has a clutch mechanism)
    or
    A single ring chain device (top guide minimum, or top and bottom guides)
  • Hmm ok thanks I almost certain I don't have a clutched rear mech ...

What sort of money are these ?

Top and bottom tensioner ... I'll look for a link online now ... Unless you know a good one

Which is the better option

Thanks for the above I was not aware you could not just whip the other rings off :)
  • just get a narrow wide chainring. I've got the works components one with a bottom roller on the Canyon and no clutch mech and I've never dropper the chain - thats riding downhill too.
  • just get a narrow wide chainring. I've got the works components one with a bottom roller on the Canyon and no clutch mech and I've never dropper the chain - thats riding downhill too.

Hmm ok can I ask do you or anyone run a 32 front ? I've read lots of places that's enough for the UK and should too out at about 21/22 MPH

Also assuming I'll need a new chain

Being new to biking unsure what a "good" make is ?
  • I have been looking to do the same, and these (which without the bash guard got a decent reviewing in the latest mbuk mag) always seem to be mentioned

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=818
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • KevChallis wrote:
    I have been looking to do the same, and these (which without the bash guard got a decent reviewing in the latest mbuk mag) always seem to be mentioned

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=818

Thanks for the link ... They don't like the bash gaurd then ?

So something like he above

A new chain (narrow wide)

And a new chain ring (narrow wide)

Shorten chain to suit

..?

Hmm ok can I ask do you or anyone run a 32 front ? I've read lots of places that's enough for the UK and should too out at about 21/22 MPH

Also assuming I'll need a new chain

Being new to biking unsure what a "good" make is ?

I run 34, 32 may be a bit under geared. Best way for you to find out is to see what you have on your bike now, keep it in the middle ring and see how you get on on your normal trails!

Shouldn't need a new chain, if anything you'll need to make it smaller!
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    You won't need a new chain and will possibly get away without the chain guide if you got 1x10 with the NW ring as most people are fine, not all though. Clutch mechs can be just as cheap as a chain guide too. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-zee-m64 ... 5360535778
  • Great advise thanks ....

Yeh I'm just planning ahead really mixed with being impatient :)

Already rode local trails and thetford and not moved out of middle (32) off to Cannock chase next weekend so guess that's where I'll see what's really needed

Just wish I knew so I could have the new set up for then :)

Best to wait I suppose don't want to spend £ on a chain ring and mech / guide if I need a bigger size ...

On the subject of clutched mech vs guide any thoughts guess the mech option is the lightest and offers less resistance ?

Guides look good though and the bash plate would be handy !
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just leave the mech and adjust the limit screws. Bit pointless chucking it and then getting a new chain guide etc. The mech is a chain guide.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Here's what I would do.

- Figure out what chainring you want...
    - Get a narrow-wide chainring in that size and fit it without any chainguide or front mech (resize the chain of course).
    - see how you get on. If you keep dropping the chain, refit the front mech as a makeshift chainguide while you wait for the chainguide you want to turn up.
  • It's funny, I have a 24/38 set up, and have never used the 24, okay, I have only had my bike a week, but been out 4 times in various places and never felt the need for the 24, no mate, they only had the one without the bash ring there for review, they said it was worth paying the extra £5 for the one with the bash ring.

Those Zee mechs looks tiny, many people using them?
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    KevChallis wrote:
    Yep, you see a lot on the trails
  • Cqc wrote:
    KevChallis wrote:

Just been reading some reviews, definitely my next purchase to get rid of the noisy Sram x7, and drop the 24 from the front too!!
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • KevChallis wrote:
    Cqc wrote:
    KevChallis wrote:

Just been reading some reviews, definitely my next purchase to get rid of the noisy Sram x7, and drop the 24 from the front too!!
    Share the links :)

I want a read ... What do you know.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    You won't need a guide or a clutch mech for Thetford if your using a Narrow Wide, I've never dropped a chain around there yet.
    I use a 34t for Thetford but a 32t for races elsewhere.
  • We don't just ride Thetford hoping to ride Cannock twice a month and there is supposed to be a mild DH/Singletrack course in Sherringham which is about 1hr away :)
  • KevChallis wrote:

Thanks that does seem to get amazing reviews .... Looks like I may get one one of them ... It seems it will be better than the SLX anyway !
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As a minimum you can just lock off the front mech with the stop screws, you can the remove shifter and cable, also the small and large rings (using single ring bolts) that will work, then you can look at a single specific ring, either conventional or narrow/wide, then you can look at a shorter cage rear mech as with or without clutch, also a chainguide of some sort if you want it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    As a minimum you can just lock off the front mech with the stop screws, you can the remove shifter and cable, also the small and large rings (using single ring bolts) that will work, then you can look at a single specific ring, either conventional or narrow/wide, then you can look at a shorter cage rear mech as with or without clutch, also a chainguide of some sort if you want it.

Found these bolts that match the bike :) ££

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/e-th ... -prod66378

Not keen on the front mech idea if I'm doing it I want to do it properly

With a clutched mech and a NW chainring I will then see if a guide is needed I guess by that time I will have decided what ring is best 32/34 upfront
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I'm doing the same - 1X10 on a charge duster frame. I was lucky to get the SRAM X9 derailleur and a raceface 34 t single (not NW) and bash second hand and have been persuaded to buy

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope ... -prod90477

- which is the hope low clamp thing. I've no idea about chain guides but I have bowed to the wisdom that I need one.

BTW I'm doing this on the cheap - got a 2011 set of DT Swiss on hope hubs and second hand everything else and am going to have an Avid 5 brake on the front and no brake on the back. Fork looks a bit ropey but I'll get the wife to try out the bike for me.

Actully this is a load of blx. Yes I have got some dodgy second hand kit - but I've also got the bling too - why not - it is only a credit card. However the wife test - second hand single brake and ropey fork will elicit sympathy and I'll just tell her that I'll upgrade to more safety with cheap stuff - and put on the bling stuff - being careful to hide the packaging at the office!!

I even told her that I put a bell on the bike for extra safety as I had only one brake - and she believed it!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    ..forgot to mention - she went nuts when I fitted the bar - made of wood which I had made!!!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Right it's ordering time

So just checking I will need

- single ring chain ring bolts
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/e-th ... -prod66378

- 32 narrow wide chain ring - is it 104 I need ?
    http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do? ... tAodkAcAig

Zee clutched rear mech - assume this will work with current shifter - wide cage 32/36?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-zee-m64 ... 5360535778

Job done
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Search Onza single chainring bolts on eBay and save some cash.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Do you really need zee? If you get a deore shadow+ mid cage you gave the option if reverting back to 2x10 if you wish.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Think so yeh :) when I get stronger i am hoping to upgrade to a 34 front but other than that don't think I will go back ....

Is it the 104 chainring I need
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Yes 104 BCD for fitting to middle ring
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Order all my bits today will be here tomorrow will post a how to inn my thread

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12959391&p=18756989#p18756989
  • A note to anyone considering this ... If you're using a 3 piece chain set and taking the rings off and replacing with one single narrow wide then...

Single chainring bolts are to short due to width of NW chainring

You can use your standard bolts but will need a spacer.

In America they sell specific ones but I can't find them in the UK so you can use something as a spacer ! Washer etc

Unless there is a blindingly obvious solution I've missed