dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    'tis amazing!

Daniel-Teklehaimanot-4-TdF-Stage-8-Gruber-Images.jpg
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    It is really nice for him and I have been a fan of his before people even had heard of his name but I am finding the reaction slightly odd (not the one in Africa but the one from the English speaking press, fans etc). That is because he just went out on a nothing day in the Tour and beat two other people up a set of cat 4s, which the majority of the peloton could do. Now, if he does that over some proper climbs or better still wins a mountain stage then let the raucous celebration win.

His polka dot jersey win in Dauphine was far more impressive. But then most people only watch the Tour...

Next time you see him in a breakaway, watch how good he is at conserving his energy. Not one to be smashing it on the front.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash
    Agree FF, but the Tour is the biggest profile thing around!

You should listen to the cycling podcast kilometre zero on Eritreans
  • frenchfighter
    le-tour-france-2015-stage-20150711-105859-835.jpg

le-tour-france-2015-stage-20150711-105859-664.jpg

Photos: B Lennon
    Contador is the Greatest
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    I've become a bit lukewarm about the team since the change. Was a big fan with them being a fully African team before. But really like some of their riders, van Rensburgs, Meintjes, Arran Brown, Niyonshuti, Berhane and Teklehaimanot....

This was Douglas Ryder in 2012
    In accordance with UCI rules, the team is mainly composed of South African riders. Ryder has, however, a more demanding internal policy: "between 50 and 60% of the athletes must be black African riders." For this reason, he is investing money in the development of some of the raw talents from Sub-Saharan countries.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mtn-qhubeka-targets-2015-tour-de-france

Regarding the hullabaloo about Tekkers, it is understandable, even if it is a bit meaningless at this juncture of the race.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    I've become a bit lukewarm about the team since the change. Was a big fan with them being a fully African team before. But really like some of their riders, van Rensburgs, Meintjes, Arran Brown, Niyonshuti, Berhane and Teklehaimanot....

This was Douglas Ryder in 2012
    In accordance with UCI rules, the team is mainly composed of South African riders. Ryder has, however, a more demanding internal policy: "between 50 and 60% of the athletes must be black African riders." For this reason, he is investing money in the development of some of the raw talents from Sub-Saharan countries.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mtn-qhubeka-targets-2015-tour-de-france

Regarding the hullabaloo about Tekkers, it is understandable, even if it is a bit meaningless at this juncture of the race.

I think there's a balance to be struck. Right now, 50-60% black African is probably a bit optimistic. There's talent there, but it's pretty raw for the most.
    They've got a good core of SA riders (mostly white), some East Africans, and a sprinkling of experienced European riders. It's the last of these that I'd like to see reduced with time, but they're needed now.
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Yeah, at this point, I'd say their 50-60% black African quota mission is a thing of the past. This was before the noise about them going professional continental gathered steam.

But they did sign two too many over the hill second rate sprinters. Let's see if that changes, as results wise, the mediocre galacticos haven't added too much, apart from Boasson Hagen and Ciolek. Hopefully van Rensburg finds the form that saw him Stannarding the Rabobanks in Zeeland. Signing European neo professionals was weird though. Continue that and they just become another Europcar.
  • frenchfighter
    jeredgruber#bicycleschangelives - three perfect words. They are true for me, they're true for @ashleygruber, and I can't imagine just how huge the effect @teammtnqhubeka and @danielteklehaimanot are going to have years down the line from this in Eritrea, Africa, around the world. In Eritrea, they're having giant viewings of the Tour, so they can follow along with Daniel and Merhawi, as they break an amazing new path through France. Right in front of us every day, I see people going crazy for Daniel - he's mobbed everywhere he goes. I saw a kid this morning that might have had the cycling seed planted, I saw his dad and his friends all blown away by a national hero in polka dots. I'm humbled to be around this - I feel so small - like I'm watching a giant explosion of 100% good. I've never been around something like this before - something so, so special. Can't wait to see what comes next. #teklepolkadot #tdf2015

11248213_426527804197370_217732314_n.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    I have been disappointed to note that Daniel has gone backwards on every proper climb.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Yeah, at this point, I'd say their 50-60% black African quota mission is a thing of the past. This was before the noise about them going professional continental gathered steam.

But they did sign two too many over the hill second rate sprinters. Let's see if that changes, as results wise, the mediocre galacticos haven't added too much, apart from Boasson Hagen and Ciolek. Hopefully van Rensburg finds the form that saw him Stannarding the Rabobanks in Zeeland. Signing European neo professionals was weird though. Continue that and they just become another Europcar.

I think you have to look at guys like Farrar and Cummings et al as wise heads who've been around a bit and can pass their knowledge onto the young talent that MTN bring across from Africa. Give them the best possible grounding at the top end of the sport to ensure that the transition is managed well and that their Afro-centric approach can be sustained. That and they're cheap.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Oh yes! Stevo!
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    This is a great day for cycling fans globally. :D

And on another note, Daniel Teklehaimanot is a very beautiful man.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter

Here is a great photo for you:
    ZUPER-13972_zps9ea9b136.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    This is a great day for cycling fans globally. :D

Steve Cummings... is not.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Terrific tour for MTN Qhubeka.

Tekkers in the polkadots, Cummings stage win, Pauwels gets 13th in GC, active in almost every break, plenty of top ten finishes, and to top it all the team finish 5th, behind only the big 4 of Movi, Sky, Tinkoff and Astana.

Chapeau.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

Tekkers in the polkadots, Cummings stage win, Pauwels gets 13th in GC, active in almost every break, plenty of top ten finishes, and to top it all the team finish 5th, behind only the big 4 of Movi, Sky, Tinkoff and Astana.

Chapeau.
    The best wildcard debutant since Barloworld in 2007 I would think.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364

Chapeau.
    The best wildcard debutant since Barloworld in 2007 I would think.

Whatever happened to those barloworld riders?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Top team.

They made Jnr's day yesterday.

The bus pulled up before the stage and I saw Brian Smith jump out of a team car. Jnr was autograph hunting so I shouted across to Brian for his autograph. He double checked that we really wanted his autograph and then joked about forgetting how to do it. He then said "have you got the team's yet?" The bus had literally just pulled up and no one had got out, so he took Jnr's notepad went on to the bus and came back a few mins later with the whole team having signed it.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,648
    Top team.

The bus pulled up before the stage and I saw Brian Smith jump out of a team car. Jnr was autograph hunting so I shouted across to Brian for his autograph. He double checked that we really wanted his autograph and then joked about forgetting how to do it. He then said "have you got the team's yet?" The bus had literally just pulled up and no one had got out, so he took Jnr's notepad went on to the bus and came back a few mins later with the whole team having signed it.

What a great story, why cycling is such a great sport.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Top team.

Superb!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Disaster for cycling fans globally: MTN will withdraw their funding as of this season.
  • dish_dash
    Disaster for cycling fans globally: MTN will withdraw their funding as of this season.

Feck. Though I'm hoping that they've done enough to get in a new sponsor. DiData were talking about it... great job at the tour, well worth their wildcard.
  • Disaster for cycling fans globally: MTN will withdraw their funding as of this season.

Thankfully I think Dimension Data will compensate for this
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Smith on Twitter said the future of the team is secured.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The most worrying thing about this is that cycling, which is chump change for MTN, isn't considered a justifiable spend for them
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dish_dash
    The most worrying thing about this is that cycling, which is chump change for MTN, isn't considered a justifiable spend for them

Hardly got a following in their main market though...
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    According to the Graun mtn spent $9.5 million since 2007, and I suspect a lot of that was in the last 12 months. Does look like good vfm, although I had to google to find out what mtn sold. Cummings should have done the phone mime when he crossed the line.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    For a business like MTN a stage in the Tour and a few novelty days in polka dot isn't great return is it?

I mean the business turnover is comparable to bskyb.
  • dish_dash
    For a business like MTN a stage in the Tour and a few novelty days in polka dot isn't great return is it?

I mean the business turnover is comparable to bskyb.

Not when you're selling to Nigerians...