Weird left crank creak

tomsimmonds
tomsimmonds Posts: 66
edited February 2014 in Workshop
hi,
For some reason my left shimano crank arm starts to make a creaking/ticking noise when pressure is applied. When i take the two bolts out greece them and put back in it has gone. However after a ride or after being left for a day or two the creak seems to come back until i take the bolts out and re-apply. Does anyone have an idea as to what this could be ?

thanks

Tom

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Is this a Hollowtech 2 setup? I'd suggest it's more likely to be the BB cup moving in the frame. Try greasing (or anti-seizing) and re-tightening both cups.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Also, check your pedals.
  • Also, check your pedals.

+1 to that
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you're taking out the pinch bolts you should take the opportunity to check the bearing preload by loosening and re-tightening the plastic end cap. Finger tight only, using the correct little plastic tool.

Or better still, remove the preload cap and crank completely, clean and regrease the mating surfaces / splines on both axle and crank arm, and reinstall it. Preload the bearings by tightening the end cap, then insert the pinch bolts together with the plastic retaining tab which fits in the gap. Progressively tighten the pinch bolts alternately until tight.