Chia Seeds

aiwa_yamaha
aiwa_yamaha Posts: 137
I went rounds a friends tonight for food and he started telling me about Chia seeds and how they are good for running. Do people use them before cycling, after, or just in general?

Comments

• I put a table spoon of them in my porridge. Not sure if they've made any improvement or not though.
    Rose X-Lite CRS 3100
    Focus Cayo AL
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I heard you can still buy snake oil...
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Works for this little guy:

Chia-Pet-Bunny.jpg
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Did anyone see Horizon on Monday?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Did anyone see Horizon on Monday?

Yes, very interesting.
  • snowley
    snowley Posts: 149
    Horizon was extremely interesting. The difference quite clear!
  • They were giving away loads of chai seeds mixed with coconut milk and pureed mango/banana at the bike show in London, they came in these little pots, tasted nice. They were called 'Chia pod'.
  • Nothing overly special about chia, most of its properties can be found in other food. Main benefit is convenience. It has a decent ratio of good omega 3 fats / protein and carbs. It is a good source of soluble fibre & mucilage, which is very useful in the large intestines IIRC it helps relieve irritation by covering mucous membranes and protecting the nerve endings. Bloody expensive. But very easy to add to food. Holds a tremendous amount of water (can't remember how many time but it is something like 10 or 20 times its weight) which might be useful for endurance but would think you would feel uncomfortably full if you had more than a couple of table spoonfuls at a go. I tend to add to shakes and let them sit and thicken. The extra fibre definitely improves no. 2 output!
  • Is this the same as quinoa ?
  • michaelede wrote:
    Nothing overly special about chia, most of its properties can be found in other food. Main benefit is convenience. It has a decent ratio of good omega 3 fats / protein and carbs. It is a good source of soluble fibre & mucilage, which is very useful in the large intestines IIRC it helps relieve irritation by covering mucous membranes and protecting the nerve endings. Bloody expensive. But very easy to add to food. Holds a tremendous amount of water (can't remember how many time but it is something like 10 or 20 times its weight) which might be useful for endurance but would think you would feel uncomfortably full if you had more than a couple of table spoonfuls at a go. I tend to add to shakes and let them sit and thicken. The extra fibre definitely improves no. 2 output!

Thanks for that. Certainly good to knows it healthy but not perfect for cycling fitness. I thought the fact they hold a lot of water would be ideal to drink them before going out on a bike ride to store water. But i am new to them and advice on forums are a good help. :)