Cross-style frame

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited February 2014 in Commuting chat
Am pondering many things, one of which is what to do about a commuter bike should my current contract be extended.

My ride to work is 15 miles over variable but hilly roads, so a drop bar bike with decent brakes would be ideal.

I have in my stable an old Spesh Sirrus, which is great but too big for me - it's a 56 (L) and I ride a 54 road bike - was wondering about using the bits off this and making a new drop bar bike - but would need a frame.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Don't want to spend a fortune.

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    SecretSam wrote:
    Am pondering many things, one of which is what to do about a commuter bike should my current contract be extended.

My ride to work is 15 miles over variable but hilly roads, so a drop bar bike with decent brakes would be ideal.

I have in my stable an old Spesh Sirrus, which is great but too big for me - it's a 56 (L) and I ride a 54 road bike - was wondering about using the bits off this and making a new drop bar bike - but would need a frame.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Don't want to spend a fortune.

Singular Peregrine.

E7D986CD-A8AB-40C9-9CC8-17AD31283FB9_zpskt8gpruk.jpg

Will take tyres up to 2" wide, can use disc or calliper brakes and has an eccentric bb and so can be geared, fixed or SS.

Also has mount points for guards and a rack.

I love mine.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • secretsam
    Nice colour, too :D

££££?????

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    It's about £400 for frame and fork from Wiggle (or was).

You can even run it as a flat bar for a whole. Lots of folks do.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Singular are lovely, also look at all city. Hugely impressive and also surprisingly stiff
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • The Peregrine looks nice but for the same level of frame but half of the price @ £250 and about 5lbs lighter the Planet X Kaffenback 2 fits the bill too http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXKBD2/p ... e-and-fork
    I bought one ready built in July (£850 with Sram Rival) and have ridden it nearly every day since then and it is a brilliant commuter/winter trainer/offroad/allrounder. I don't think I will ever buy another bike without discs as I am that happy with them.
  • secretsam
    Forgotten about the Kaffenback

Does it still take V-brakes? If not, how much do discs cost??? The Tiagra version for £800 is something of a bargain!

• rubertoe
    I have the tiagra version - its is awesome.

If you go for mechanical discs - get the BB7's they are well worth it (Kaff doesnt take V's - disc only)
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Go discs. For an all weather bike they are the best solution.
  • Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 can be had for about £450 and comes in that great acid green colour (which I love but is a real Marmite choice) or more boring white or black. Alloy frame, full carbon fork.
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • veronese68
    mpdouglas wrote:
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 can be had for about £450 and comes in that great acid green colour (which I love but is a real Marmite choice) or more boring white or black. Alloy frame, full carbon fork.
    I completely agree with this of course. The green is glorious, although I may be biased, just look at the pic in my sig.
  • rubertoe
    Hmmmmm i wonder if we are all suggesting the very same bikes that we all spent our hard earned beer tokens on....

• secretsam
    Discs no good at the mo' - would involve changing wheels

• veronese68
    SecretSam wrote:
    In that case buy a frame that can take both so when you've worn your wheels out you can get some disc compatible wheels. Once you've tried discs in the wet you'll never look back.

I should add that V brakes and drop bars don't play particularly nicely. You might be better off selling the Sirrus complete and buying something else used.
  • secretsam
    Veronese68 wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    In that case buy a frame that can take both so when you've worn your wheels out you can get some disc compatible wheels. Once you've tried discs in the wet you'll never look back.

I should add that V brakes and drop bars don't play particularly nicely. You might be better off selling the Sirrus complete and buying something else used.

Ah

Sirrus is pretty worthless, TBH - hence my wish to recycle it

• Hang on, hang on

SecretSam is Boris Johnson!!! :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • secretsam
    Hang on, hang on

1. Eh?

and

2. You cheeky g&t, how dare you accuse me of being a fat....errr, bullsheeting....errr, Tory...yes! How dare you accuse me of being a Tory!!!!

• SecretSam wrote:
    Hang on, hang on

1. Eh?

and

2. You cheeky g&t, how dare you accuse me of being a fat....errr, bullsheeting....errr, Tory...yes! How dare you accuse me of being a Tory!!!!

viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12959111

Co-inkydink?

I think not.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Avoid V'brake and drops, I had all manner of issues but I do have a Cotic Roadrat (you can't get the drop bar frame anymore) which had disc tabs and brake bosses. I'm considering a CrossLight but that's to replace my winter bike once my current wheels die (sodding things just keep on going!).
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • If you want to use your existing wheels and brakes then Evans have a 54cm frame that might suit http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... e-ec046840 you can get a "travel mate" to allow you to use V brakes with drop bars or just get a cheap set of cantis/callipers both should work with this frame and you might even be able to use your existing fork?
  • Avoid V'brake and drops, I had all manner of issues but I do have a Cotic Roadrat (you can't get the drop bar frame anymore) which had disc tabs and brake bosses. I'm considering a CrossLight but that's to replace my winter bike once my current wheels die (sodding things just keep on going!).

V's and drops are fine, just use travel adjusters and you won't have a problem bar slightly shorter cable life
  • veronese68
    Cotic X has disc and canti mounts so you could run your V brakes and upgrade when the time is right. I was interested in one, but couldn't find anywhere that had one for me to look at so went with the Kinesis.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mini V's work fine with road levers....by far the best option!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • secretsam
    Or I could just bin the V brakes and use standard brakes on a standard winter frame...will need to buy shifters/brake levers/STIs in any case...

Hmmmmm some more

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Just go discs. Yes you'll need new wheels, but you'd need to replace the rims on your existing wheels soon anyway ('cos they're rim brakes).
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • secretsam
    How much does a set of discs cost? Assume cable jobbies. And wheels????

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Ummm I just got a second-hand (but brand new) pair of TRP HyRds inc. discs for 170 quid. Haven't fitted them yet, but they'll replace my BB7s.

According to bike-discount.de the BB7s can be had for about 42 quid each, and how much do you want to spend on wheels?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • secretsam
    davis wrote:
    Ummm I just got a second-hand (but brand new) pair of TRP HyRds inc. discs for 170 quid. Haven't fitted them yet, but they'll replace my BB7s.

According to bike-discount.de the BB7s can be had for about 42 quid each, and how much do you want to spend on wheels?

Nothing, ideally, hence the need to avoid discs :lol:

• The Rookie wrote:
    Mini V's work fine with road levers....by far the best option!

I had them, spent my life adjusting them, anyone want them i'll happily give them to you for free. Roll on discs on everything.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • If you buy a new frame, new shifters, new wheels and new brakes then it will probably be better to just get a new bike and either sell on the hybrid or just use it as a hack bike. Something like this http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... road-bikes

Alternatively you could just get a smaller hybrid frame and use all of the parts you already have. Evans have them from £75.00