Mountain Biking - 2 Minute Dissertation Survey

2»

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Living in the UK seems to make people really cranky :shock: . I thought that survey was pretty good. You could understand the questions and everything :) . My only criticism is it would have been good if you could pick more than one brand of fork as many people have more than one bike.
    Cranky? It's been pissing down for months, the country is sinking and everything is made out of mud.
    Cranky is a bloody understatement.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    PaulBox wrote:
    On the "What type of cycling do you actively participat in?" question, somebody could be injured, disabled etc. and no longer able to participate, but still enthusiastic about something that they used to do, therefore 'None' is a valid answer.
    Mmm... possible, yes. But likely to be such a small percentage that in a survey like this that is only going to garner a small number of responses, should someone answer for that reason, it would totally skew the results. Seems a very odd option, especially when taken beside all the other questions.
    When you set up a survey with multiple choice answers you should cover every possible answer no matter how small the likely percentage of respondants are. In this instance it would be very informative if the only people who are interested in an automated fork adjustment are the people who don't actively participate in the sport. Therefore I stand by the fact that 'None' is a possible answer and that it should be an option.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    edited February 2014
    PaulBox wrote:
    When you set up a survey with multiple choice answers you should cover every possible answer no matter how small the likely percentage of respondants are.

No, doesn't work like that. I've been in charge of a couple of complex surveys related to public transport (train travel usage) which have had between 5,000 and 7,000 respondents so I've been through all this (and I can tell you, constructing a good survey is a lot harder than it seems some on this forum think it is). If you have a large number of respondents then including the anomalous questions is fine - force of numbers will put the responses in their proper place. But if you only have 20 or 30 respondents then just one unrepresentative respondent will skew your results, so you have to really think about what you ask. Mind you, any survey with as small a sample as you're likely to get off this forum is inherently unreliable from the off, no matter what questions you ask.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Oh, and one of the reasons (though not the only reason, of course) that a lot of the surveys on here are crap is that they all seem to use SurveyMonkey which is rubbish and places a load of restrictions on what you can do if you want to use the free option. If any of you students are reading this, use esurv.org instead. Totally free and with just about as much functionality as you'll get with any of the 'arm and a leg' paid survey tools.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607