Mountain Biking - 2 Minute Dissertation Survey

MTBFork
MTBFork Posts: 2
edited February 2014 in MTB general
All,

I'm doing a dissertation about cycling and mountain biking. It would be great if you could fill in my survey which shouldn't take any more than 2 minutes. It's 10 questions, all multiple choice.

Link here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XX8XSL8

Thanks!

Comments

• Charged with what? Gas or electirc? Started well, ended badly.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or money.

Q 3 - the survey says mountain biking -what's the relevance of 'track cycling', or even worse - 'none'?

Q4 &5 - Mountain biking, track cycling, all of the above, or perhaps even 'none'?

Q6 - one or two people here, just possibly, have more than one bike.

Q7&8 Assuming the forks are adjustable. Most aren't.

9 - see above.

If you actually had any interest in the forum, you would have joined before having to do your homework.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps they are called forks.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Over 35 as one age group - Sheesh!

"Self Adjusting Front Shock Absorbers" I'm out, do you actually ride a bike?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    The Rookie wrote:
    Over 35 as one age group - Sheesh!

"Self Adjusting Front Shock Absorbers" I'm out, do you actually ride a bike?

His age groups, in other words

Under 18 - children who ride BMX.
    18 to 24 - too drunk to ride.
    25 to 34 - my age group.
    Over 35 - zimmer frames don't have "Front Shock Absorbers"
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Self adjusting forks could be the worst invention yet.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Page 2 - only answer if you ride a mountain bike.
    Why would a person who doesn't ride a mountain bike even start a survey aimed at mountain bikers?

2/10. Must try harder.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Is this the same dude who had a questionnaire like this a few weeks ago? Just registered with another username?
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    The more of these so called dissertation surveys I see the more I wonder what the hell happens in Uni. I must be wrong but I thought you had to be able to read and write to go to Uni or is that old schuul.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Good survey - hope your degree goes well - ignore the rants on here.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Survey actually has meaningful questions unlike many others posted on here. I don't understand the 'None' option on the 'What do you ride' question - surely if you don't cycle then you're not going to want an adjustable travel fork?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • cooldad
    FishFish wrote:
    Good survey - hope your degree goes well - ignore the rants on here.
    You are obviously a believer in everyone gets a trophy.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Far too many cynical old farts in this place, then again it always been the same :roll:

I've certainly seen worse surveys, I thought it was pretty decent, but a few odd points like declan1 pointed out. Good luck with your dissertation and hope it goes well.
  • cooldad
    lawman wrote:
    Far too many cynical old farts in this place, then again it always been the same :roll:

I've certainly seen worse surveys, I thought it was pretty decent, but a few odd points like declan1 pointed out. Good luck with your dissertation and hope it goes well.

Because we know that although your parents might say "Oh what a pretty picture", in the real world it's sh1t.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Definatley better than most of the shite that people put on here :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • cooldad
    arran77 wrote:
    Definatley better than most of the shite that people put on here :wink:

I believe that's called damning with faint praise.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It was the 'front shock absorbers' rubbish that turned me off, if you can't be bothered to do 2 minutes research into what they are called, why should I give 2 minutes to help you get a degree?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    KevChallis wrote:
    Is this the same dude who had a questionnaire like this a few weeks ago? Just registered with another username?
    unfortunatly it is not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Why do people on this forum get so worked up about these surveys? Would any of us have made one any better than this at 19 or 20? (Yes, I know, you're all amazing so the answer will, of course, be "Yes."). Apart from the odd blooper like 'none' in answer 3, was this really that bad?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    Why do people on this forum get so worked up about these surveys? Would any of us have made one any better than this at 19 or 20? (Yes, I know, you're all amazing so the answer will, of course, be "Yes."). Apart from the odd blooper like 'none' in answer 3, was this really that bad?
    Mainly because people join, use their first post to do some home work, badly, and leave.
    The forum is like a big, loving family, and it feels like being violated. A home invasion or something.

Plus they are actually 99% rubbish.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    cooldad wrote:
    Mainly because people join, use their first post to do some home work, badly, and leave.
    The forum is like a big, loving family, and it feels like being violated. A home invasion or something.

I had to do a job some time back that involved the sort of handguns that cowboys used. I knew absolutely nothing about the subject so I joined an American gun forum and asked a load of questions that were probably, to the knowledgeable gun enthusiast, even dumber than the ones being asked here. They couldn't have been more welcoming. They had no issue with me turning up just to pick their brains, nor with the stupidity of my questions. They all went out of their way to be helpful, posted links to videos of guns being stripped and even took pictures of their own guns to show the correct loading sequence.

I'm reminded of the experience every time I see the reaction here.
  • arran77
    cooldad wrote:

I had to do a job some time back that involved the sort of handguns that cowboys used. I knew absolutely nothing about the subject so I joined an American gun forum and asked a load of questions that were probably, to the knowledgeable gun enthusiast, even dumber than the ones being asked here. They couldn't have been more welcoming. They had no issue with me turning up just to pick their brains, nor with the stupidity of my questions. They all went out of their way to be helpful, posted links to videos of guns being stripped and even took pictures of their own guns to show the correct loading sequence.

I'm reminded of the experience every time I see the reaction here.

That's because on a gun forum, especially an American one, if they all start poking fun at each other there'd probably be a massacre :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • cooldad
    Plenty of people turn up here with questions, and get answered sensibly (for the most part), whether they are dumb or not. And there is a difference between not knowing something and being dumb.

But, IMHO, there is a subtle difference between trying to learn, and just posting a badly thought out survey to get your homework done.

You presumably interacted with the people who were helping you.

The OP joined, posted the survey, and hasn't actually been back since.

So much for interest. Admittedly it's only been a day.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    arran77 wrote:

That's because on a gun forum, especially an American one, if they all start poking fun at each other there'd probably be a massacre :wink:

You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talking... you talking to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the fark do you think you're talking to? Oh yeah? OK.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • arran77
    cooldad wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talking... you talking to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the fark do you think you're talking to? Oh yeah? OK.

you_talkin_to_me_taxi_driver_travis_bickle_quott.jpg

seanoconn
  • Angus Young
    cooldad wrote:
    But, IMHO, there is a subtle difference between trying to learn, and just posting a badly thought out survey to get your homework done.

Presumably, though, surveying people in the know is the homework (or part of it, at least).
    cooldad wrote:
    You presumably interacted with the people who were helping you.

True, I did. And a strangely pleasant experience it was considering on the other occasions I've had cause to interact with gun owners it's lead me to the conclusion that the folk who are enthusiastic about guns should probably be the last people allowed anywhere near them.

I do agree, though, that just throwing up a survey on the forum without even so much as an explanation as to where it leads and what end it serves is not the way to ingratiate yourself. Does seem, though, that sometimes we're harsh just for the sake of being harsh.
  • I don't think we are.

There's a survey for someone studying for GCSEs and for a degree final year student. I think being harsh fairly on the degree student is actually helping them out.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    To be fair, I've only just done the survey and he seems to have addressed some of the issues raised here. He certainly talks about Forks and not Front Shock Absorbers now anyway.

On the "What type of cycling do you actively participat in?" question, somebody could be injured, disabled etc. and no longer able to participate, but still enthusiastic about something that they used to do, therefore 'None' is a valid answer.

I'd say that it is now one of the best surverys I've ever done on here.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • cooldad
    True, I did. And a strangely pleasant experience it was considering on the other occasions I've had cause to interact with gun owners it's lead me to the conclusion that the folk who are enthusiastic about guns should probably be the last people allowed anywhere near them.
    I spent a lot of my life carrying a .38 Special around with me. The only time I drew it in anger was during an altercation over a parking space. I sold it the next day.

My ex had one too. She only fired it once off the range. Unfortunately it was aimed at me.

Needless to say she missed. Although some might disagree that that was a bad thing.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    cooldad wrote:
    My ex had one too. She only fired it once off the range. Unfortunately it was aimed at me.

Your ex wife tried to shoot you? Now, why are we not surprised by that... :)
    PaulBox wrote:
    On the "What type of cycling do you actively participat in?" question, somebody could be injured, disabled etc. and no longer able to participate, but still enthusiastic about something that they used to do, therefore 'None' is a valid answer.

Mmm... possible, yes. But likely to be such a small percentage that in a survey like this that is only going to garner a small number of responses, should someone answer for that reason, it would totally skew the results. Seems a very odd option, especially when taken beside all the other questions.