Confused - Rose v Canyon

antsmithmk
antsmithmk Posts: 717
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Went to the bike show on Sat with the intention of riding and buying a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX...

I rode one, but also rode the Canyon CF, a Rose and a few other bikes.

Honestly, they were all excellent bikes and I could not split them! (lets face it, a tiagra Alu Allez is a bit of step up to these bikes)

I thought I would sit on the Canyon and fall in love, but it didn't happen. In fact, I was more taken by the rose despite never considering them before. Canyon are now not able to deliver on an order till the end of May, whereas Rose say 3 weeks.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Rose Xeon CRS 3000
Or the Rose CSL 3000

What is the difference between the C and the R? Apart from the R being 400g lighter?

Comments

• I don't know why people compare Rose and Canyon, is it because they are both German?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I don't know why people compare Rose and Canyon, is it because they are both German?
    It's because they use similar business models (i.e. online orders only and no LBS distribution) so if you're looking for VFM and you're willing to skip a test ride and LBS support these are the two obvious companies to look at.

>usually no test rides, obviously not the case here...
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I was told by the Rose guy at the London Bike Show that the frame was the same on the CRS and the CSL, it was just the components that varied.
  • I bought a Rose CRS3000 a few months back and love it. Only been out on it a few times (it's deffo not my winter bike!) but it rides great, really stiff but nice and comfy too. And imo it looks sweet in the matt white finish.

2vtsltl.jpg

Tbh, Rose and Canyon both make great bikes and are fantastic value for money. I've never seen anyone complain who has bought either. It's certainly way more bike than i'll ever probably need. Like we all do, i spent hours looking at different bikes and specs etc. But ultimately i went for the one that i thought looked cool! :lol:

Customer service wise, i found Rose excellent to deal with. They answered all my questions promptly, were really helpful on sizing and were willing to replace anything on the bike in the first 30 days if you get it and decide you don't like something you specced.
  • alex222
    tedmaul you say you have found it comfy. I assume then you haven't found it a struggle on rough roads, which some reviews have alluded to?
  • It's my first carbon bike, so i don't really have anything to compare it to other than the alu Giant Defy i've been riding for the last 3 years. But it's certainly a noticeable step up in comfort from that in the way it seems to absorb road buzz.

In terms of comfort over long distances etc, i'm yet to test it like that - i've only had it out on the odd dry day so far and they've been few and far between this winter! It certainly feels like a more aggressive position than the Defy.
  • alex222
    tedmaul wrote:
    It's my first carbon bike, so i don't really have anything to compare it to other than the alu Giant Defy i've been riding for the last 3 years. But it's certainly a noticeable step up in comfort from that in the way it seems to absorb road buzz.

In terms of comfort over long distances etc, i'm yet to test it like that - i've only had it out on the odd dry day so far and they've been few and far between this winter! It certainly feels like a more aggressive position than the Defy.

Cheers
  • tedmaul wrote:
    I bought a Rose CRS3000 a few months back and love it. Only been out on it a few times (it's deffo not my winter bike!) but it rides great, really stiff but nice and comfy too. And imo it looks sweet in the matt white finish.
    2vtsltl.jpg

Tbh, Rose and Canyon both make great bikes and are fantastic value for money. I've never seen anyone complain who has bought either. It's certainly way more bike than i'll ever probably need. Like we all do, i spent hours looking at different bikes and specs etc. But ultimately i went for the one that i thought looked cool! :lol:

Customer service wise, i found Rose excellent to deal with. They answered all my questions promptly, were really helpful on sizing and were willing to replace anything on the bike in the first 30 days if you get it and decide you don't like something you specced.

That looks like a lovely bike. What bar tape did you spec as I dont want the shiny stuff they like to spec?
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Lovely machine! I too have deliberated hard over the last few weeks comparing Rose and Canyon against many other bikes, my conclusion was that Rose and Canyon probably offer the best spec, frame quality, service for the money than I can get with a big name in a UK bike shop. The rose has benefits of great website allowing you to spec out every component within reason, and has better waiting times. The downside seems that it is thought a more aggressive ride and a bit jarring or skittish though there are not many reviews they do seem to concur. If choosing Rose I'd lean towards the GF version for a bit more comfort as I'm getting on a bit.
    The canyon is well thought - of, a lot of great reviews on the frame, the spec and the comfort though waiting times for some models are quite long. I'd really be happy with either in my garage but ended up deciding on the Canyon which will be with me in about 3 weeks time.
  • antsmithmk wrote:
    That looks like a lovely bike. What bar tape did you spec as I dont want the shiny stuff they like to spec?

Thanks. It was the 'Xtreme Gel-Comfort' bar tape that i specced. I can confirm it is very comfortable too! 8)
  • Doony
    Doony Posts: 46
    Glad I found this thread, as I'm in the same boat. Been agonizing for weeks between the Canyon Ultimate CF, , Rose CRS3000 or a Planet X N2A. Finally leaning towards Rose, as I can't find a bad word about them, and are best value for money by some way. Plus I like the exclusivity factor, as it's quite a rare bike on UK roads.

Only minus side so far, is they aren't stocking any matte colours, it's shiny white or shiny carbon
    2013 Felt F3 Di2
    2011 Cube Attempt
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    The OP made a very interesting comment "I thought I would sit on the Canyon and fall in love, but it didn't happen".

I wonder how many people buy a bike online from Canyon or Rose or anywhere else for that matter with no idea if they will actually like the bike? Would you buy a car online like this? Imagine seeing the car of your dreams but when you sit in it you find it uncomfortable and the view restricted. Bit late after you bought it. You shop around and see what you like. not just looks and fancy gadgets but more important the comfort and rear view and layout. I know a bike is not as technical but without even sitting on a bike first how do you know if its the one for you? Considering nearly every component on the bike can be found on pretty much any other bike its realky only the frame that differs, and if you dont suite it or feel underwhelmed by it what do you do? I know there are people who buy like this and try to convince themselves they love their new toy even though, deep down, they are lukewarm to it.

The OP was lucky in he got to try a Canyon and a Rose first wheras the vest majority don't. They see a bike on a computer screen that looks a bargain and they add all their preferred bits. fancy wheels, handlebars etc without even knowing how they will effect the handling and think everything will be great. Some get lucky and they get there dream bike, but statistically, this cannot be true for everyone. for every truely satisfied buyer there must be a few unsatified. This would go far to explain why I see so many Canyons for sale used on ebay and the like with the tag line "hardly ridden"
  • Doony
    In fairness, both Rose and Canyon offer a 30 day return policy, so you can at least test ride it and return it if you don't like it. Sure it's a gamble, but in terms of value for money, and having something a little different, it's worth the risk.

You can find any brand of bike on EBay etc with the term 'hardly ridden' namely because the seller wants to get rid of it, or like many people, buy things with the best of intentions and then never use them.

Given my budget, and getting a worthy 'upgrade' from my current Cube, buying online presents the best options.
    2013 Felt F3 Di2
    2011 Cube Attempt
  • ai_1
    Doony wrote:
    In fairness, both Rose and Canyon offer a 30 day return policy, so you can at least test ride it and return it if you don't like it. Sure it's a gamble, but in terms of value for money, and having something a little different, it's worth the risk.

You can find any brand of bike on EBay etc with the term 'hardly ridden' namely because the seller wants to get rid of it, or like many people, buy things with the best of intentions and then never use them.

Given my budget, and getting a worthy 'upgrade' from my current Cube, buying online presents the best options.
    What he said.^^^

There is a risk but if you do your homework it's relatively small. If there wasn't a ride & return policy I wouldn't risk it but there is so, at worst, you pay the shipping costs for a test ride.
    There's a risk with buying in the LBS too, it's just of a different sort. I think a lot of people make impulse purchases after seeing beautiful bikes at the LBS only to gradually realise they made a mistake after the novelty wears off. Despite how much they love the appearance and the feel when they swing a leg over in the shop, it may not be the right bike for their purposes in reality. I'd rather make a considered purchase in the LBS if the costs were roughly similar but the cost differences can be pretty substantial.
  • I thought I'd add another Rose pic to this discussion.:)

5ASH911.jpg

I've made a few changes since this pic (slammed stem, new saddle, new cages) but you get the idea!
  • Doony
    That is beautiful, how do you find the Carbones? Worth the extra cash? I added them and took me fifty quid over budget. I'm quite a heavy rider, so not bothered too much about having superlight wheels.
    2013 Felt F3 Di2
    2011 Cube Attempt
  • I don't have much to compare them to other than 2.2kg Miche Excites on my other bike. I doubt they provide me with any performance benefit and I'd probably be better off with some lighter Zondas for hills but I like the way they look, sound and feel. :)

I would rather have the ones with the black Exalith brake track for purely aesthetic reasons though. :D
  • Doony
    I've already got Zondas, and they are only 150gms lighter than the Carbones anyway. Not that it would make much difference to me as I'm 15 st. If I'm honest it's more the looks I'd get them for :) not gonna order till end od the month anyway, so plenty of time to ponder
    2013 Felt F3 Di2
    2011 Cube Attempt
  • Doony wrote:
    I've already got Zondas, and they are only 150gms lighter than the Carbones anyway. Not that it would make much difference to me as I'm 15 st. If I'm honest it's more the looks I'd get them for :) not gonna order till end od the month anyway, so plenty of time to ponder

if your 15st you probably don't want either wheel-set
  • ai_1
    It's doubtful there's a lot of advantage in deep section wheels unless you're fairly fast and doing solo rides on flattish terrain. TTs and triathlons especially.
    I nearly got the Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0 Aero which comes with the Exalith rimmed Carbones but changed my mind and went with the non-Aero version instead. I decided I'd always want a light set of low profile wheels anyway for windy days and for days in the mountains and I could get deep rimmed wheels as a second wheelset for triathlons etc, later if I wanted.
  • Doony
    Doony wrote:
    I've already got Zondas, and they are only 150gms lighter than the Carbones anyway. Not theboughwould make much difference to me as I'm 15 st. If I'm honest it's more the looks I'd get them for :) not gonna order till end od the month anyway, so plenty of time to ponder

if your 15st you probably don't want either wheel-set

Been riding my Zondas for two years, smashed pot holes on them, hammered them plenty and still perfect, they are more than strong enough.

The krysium elites that comes as standard are fine anyway, could always grab a pair of planet x deep rims at a later date if I felt the need.
    2013 Felt F3 Di2
    2011 Cube Attempt
  • Just out of interest what do Rose and Canyon suggest if you have major issues with one of their bikes.

Do you have to mail it back and be without a bike for a significant amount of time?

I visited the show in London as well and these 2 brands had a great presence and bikes on show.

I just worry slightly about their after sales support even after you add their excellent VFM into the equation.

I take it Rose design their own bikes, I dont want to invest any of my money into brands who just put paint on generic off the shelf open moulds from the Far East.
  • ai_1
    Just out of interest what do Rose and Canyon suggest if you have major issues with one of their bikes.

Do you have to mail it back and be without a bike for a significant amount of time?
    I believe so
  • RoboRider21
    RoboRider21 Posts: 12
    edited February 2014
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Just out of interest what do Rose and Canyon suggest if you have major issues with one of their bikes.

I believe so

Thats a minus point for me. Look Nice Bikes though those Canyons.
  • ai_1
    Ai_1 wrote:

I believe so

Thats a minus point for me... Look Nice Bikes though those Canyons..
    It's probably the biggest downside as far as I'm concerned. However all going well it will never happen - I'll take the chance.
  • downside?

We all take greater risks flying down a hill at 40+mph with just a polystyrene helmet on.

But then stutter and stumble over the fact it may take a couple of days to ship a bike back to Germany if it has a one in a million fault. :lol:
  • ai_1
    downside?

We all take greater risks flying down a hill at 40+mph with just a polystyrene helmet on.

But then stutter and stumble over the fact it may take a couple of days to ship a bike back to Germany if it has a one in a million fault. :lol:
    Exactly my point (although it might be more than a few days!)
    It's not about to put me off buying one.
  • ai_1
    Thats why you have 2 bikes!! :)
    Yep. I'll be hanging onto my current ride (CX bike) and can use that as a back-up if needed.
  • I'll keep my existing bike for crap weather, turbo and winter. Canyon will do the rest.