£1000 to burn

2»

Comments

• passout wrote:
    ...but Whyte say L: http://www.whytebikes.com/2012/download ... _Chart.pdf

One advantage of going L is that you could get this: http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2011
    For the extra £200 might aswell go for this than the 905 me thinks makes more sense plus I think I will be better going large as im quite gangly so this is the new front runner at the mo.
  • 2103 Giant Anthem X3 from www.pedalon.co.uk for £899 reduced from £1449. Great bike. I bought one from them when they came down to £999
    Giant Anthem X3 2013
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    chrisw333 wrote:
    wow! That 19 looks great. Is it the same geo as the 905? If so, I'd seriously consider that.

I'd double check but I think so, yeah. I would have got it, if they'd had an M left. Still very happy with the 905 though. More fun than any full suspension I've ridden.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • simmo3801 wrote:
    2103 Giant Anthem X3 from http://www.pedalon.co.uk for £899 reduced from £1449. Great bike. I bought one from them when they came down to £999
    The giant is nice and ill probably get slaughtered for saying this but everyone seems to have a giant which is testament to the brand but I'd like something that is not giant.
  • Forgot to say thanks for all the advice I've been given still not ready to buy just yet so keep your advice coming
  • Awkward really as both FS and hard tails have their advantages which Cannock chase can highlight. It's not the smoothest place in the world and a bit unpredictable so the fallback of a bit of suspension would help, however if you take the bike by the scruff then a hard tail would be fun too.
    Personally, I'd be tempted to go to the Leisurelakes demo day coming there soon and try a few bikes out, even if you don't buy from them you'll be more satisfied with whatever you buy, which is worth the £50 IMHO
  • Ryan Jones wrote:
    Awkward really as both FS and hard tails have their advantages which Cannock chase can highlight. It's not the smoothest place in the world and a bit unpredictable so the fallback of a bit of suspension would help, however if you take the bike by the scruff then a hard tail would be fun too.
    Personally, I'd be tempted to go to the Leisurelakes demo day coming there soon and try a few bikes out, even if you don't buy from them you'll be more satisfied with whatever you buy, which is worth the £50 IMHO
    Was up there last sunday and that thought also crossed my mind any idea when the demo day is ?
  • not sure how many of those 19's they have in stock.

If you're set on HT, I'd fill yer boots whilst you can!
  • I've just ordered (as updated on another thread) the On One 45650b - £899 base price with Shimano Deore kit and RS 140mm Sektor fork (I paid the additional £150 for a reverb dropper post).

I think the OP said earlier that 26" wheels were his preference rather than 650b ... On One do a 456 in 26" and SRAM S5 flavour for the same price ...

Whilst I was in the Planet X / On One store yesterday, the guy showed me the new 456 Carbon frame that is imminently about to be launched ... think it is for 26" wheels. Not sure what the build will be, but he talked about it being £1299, which maybe over budget, but if you can stretch the budget and wait a bit, might be an option?
  • I've just ordered (as updated on another thread) the On One 45650b - £899 base price with Shimano Deore kit and RS 140mm Sektor fork (I paid the additional £150 for a reverb dropper post).

I think the OP said earlier that 26" wheels were his preference rather than 650b ... On One do a 456 in 26" and SRAM S5 flavour for the same price ...

Whilst I was in the Planet X / On One store yesterday, the guy showed me the new 456 Carbon frame that is imminently about to be launched ... think it is for 26" wheels. Not sure what the build will be, but he talked about it being £1299, which maybe over budget, but if you can stretch the budget and wait a bit, might be an option?
    not sure if I'm a big fan of carbon
  • chrisw333 wrote:
    not sure how many of those 19's they have in stock.

Only got £1000 at the mo so would have to save the extra will just have to play the waiting game I'm afraid
  • The demo weekend is the 8&9th March, with many brands there including whyte. I'm going to be there got a few rides I've short listed
  • passout
    muddpuppy wrote:
    chrisw333 wrote:

Only got £1000 at the mo so would have to save the extra will just have to play the waiting game I'm afraid

They would do the remainder on finance - I asked. I'd also ask how many they have in stock.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • passout wrote:
    muddpuppy wrote:
    chrisw333 wrote:

They would do the remainder on finance - I asked. I'd also ask how many they have in stock.
    For the sake of £200 id rather save and plus im not 100% ready to discount a fs yet. This is alot of money for me to spend so need to be sure im making the right decision before parting with it even though theres part of me screaming buy.
  • Cee09
    Cee09 Posts: 7
    I've got a £1000 budget too, looking primarily at HT's because I doubt I'll find a good FS with my money.

Specialized have caught my eye, these are the ones in my head at the moment

Rockhopper Pro 2014 or 2013 (£200 cheaper), Rockhopper Comp 14 or the Carve Comp 2013

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... wgodpBwAfA
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Roc ... _64809.htm
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Roc ... _65818.htm

I have to say I like the Rockhopper Pro 14, additions like the bashguard and 120mm forks are nice but it's right at the very top of my budget. So many options out there though, I'll be monitoring this thread for suggestions
  • Cee09

I'm really sorry to tell you this but the Specialized Rockhopper range is incredibly poor value for money. Putting an XC28 fork on a £850 bike is an absolute joke.

Obviously the right bike depends on the style of riding you want to do. But assuming you're talkning general xc / UK trail centres etc then at this price range I'd strongly recommend you look at the Boardman range(Halfords) where you will get far more bang for the buck. Alternatively the Whyte 905 discussed above is also a great bike. For full suss you are in the price range of a Giant Anthem from Pauls cycles (excellent bike and excellent value for money). There are plenty of other options out there, but that is a good starting point.
  • Cee09
    chrisw333

Thanks for the feedback. Riding will generally be hills, lots of climbing and singletrack - nothing too technical.

Which would you recommend out of the Boardman range? I've been looking at them for a while on and off and the FS Team looks nice but I'm not sure whether I'd be better off with a HT given the riding I'm doing as well as maintenance.

I had a look on Paul's Cycles and the Trance X2 seems good but I might have to wait for my next pay day. Which was the Anthem you were thinking of?
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s154p4 ... 9ER-2-2013
  • Cee09 wrote:
    chrisw333

Thanks for the feedback. Riding will generally be hills, lots of climbing and singletrack - nothing too technical.

Which would you recommend out of the Boardman range? I've been looking at them for a while on and off and the FS Team looks nice but I'm not sure whether I'd be better off with a HT given the riding I'm doing as well as maintenance.

I had a look on Paul's Cycles and the Trance X2 seems good but I might have to wait for my next pay day. Which was the Anthem you were thinking of?
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s154p4 ... 9ER-2-2013
    If you was looking for a fs there was a giant advised to me earlier in the thread that looked good for £899 cut from £1500 I think just that I'm not looking for a giant
  • Cee09
    muddpuppy wrote:
    If you was looking for a fs there was a giant advised to me earlier in the thread that looked good for £899 cut from £1500 I think just that I'm not looking for a giant

I think I'm set on a HT, moving on to a FS in the future. Have you had a look at Cube's? Not sure how they compare.
  • Cee - if HT, then the Boardman Team 650B would be decent option. Otherwise the Whyte 905 referred to in this thread would be a a nice buy at the Winstanley reduced price. A very capable bike - light and quick but well suited to the rough stuff too.
  • Just a quick question about the 19 would the fork and parts not be a bit outdated compared to modern components and forks
  • passout
    muddpuppy wrote:
    Just a quick question about the 19 would the fork and parts not be a bit outdated compared to modern components and forks

I'd so no, not really - very small differences maybe. Good quality kit on it. Some might prefer the newer 27.5 wheel model but personally a 26er is a selling point to me. Even then its a small difference really.
  • Passout advised me to go for the Whyte 905 about 2months ago and I haven't stopped smiling since I got it.

Amazing value for money and a great bike!

Imo it's a no brainer:D
  • passout wrote:
    muddpuppy wrote:
    Just a quick question about the 19 would the fork and parts not be a bit outdated compared to modern components and forks

I'd so no, not really - very small differences maybe. Good quality kit on it. Some might prefer the newer 27.5 wheel model but personally a 26er is a selling point to me. Even then its a small difference really.
    Are the forks on the 19 as good as the ones on the 905 having trouble finding any info on the 19 apart from the first ride review
  • passout
    http://www.whytebikes.com/2011/bike_pag ... W-1-010-11
    Isn't this it? If so, then they are decent forks - more expensive than the 905. I'd be happy with either though.

@ilias87 - good to hear. I love mine too - much more than the other bikes I've been riding over the years. Only my Commencal Meta came close in the fun stakes.
  • Still thinking about a canyon nerve 6.0 for the same price as the whyte 19 which I believe is pretty well specced I think my final decision will have to be between these two else I'll just keep finding new bikes to consider and never make a decision anybody had any hands on experience with a canyon that could let me know what they're like to live with.