£1000 to burn

muddpuppy
muddpuppy Posts: 87
edited February 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guy and gals as above looking for a bike will mainly be using on cannock trails have been looking at a whyte 905 2012 model retailing at £999 brand new is this a good investment or are there any alternatives to look at the last bike I owned was a saracen mantra back in the late 90,s so any help or advice will be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Solid choice.
  • I keep seeing the boardman team ht 650b being mentioned in other posts ive read is that better in comparison
  • Or get the 2013 boardman HT pro for £800...

Top spec and nice and light, not much else out there comes close for spec/price
  • use your £1000 as a deposit for 0% finance and buy a santa cruz bronson carbon???
  • use your £1000 as a deposit for 0% finance and buy a santa cruz bronson carbon???
    Would love too but dont think the other half would be to happy thats my max limit im afraid
  • 2014 Cube ltd pro is a good buy I reckon (I've just ordered one)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    2014 Cube ltd pro is a good buy I reckon (I've just ordered one)

You hope its a good buy...
  • 2014 Cube ltd pro is a good buy I reckon (I've just ordered one)
    Funny you should say that I'm looking at a cube am 130 2013 model for£900 brand new which I'm considering who would of thought picking a bike would be so hard giving me a head ache
  • toastedone wrote:
    That's food for thought not keen on the looks and would prefer a 26" but spec holds a lot of weight head ache is now turning into a migraine lol
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    The white is more aggressive than the board man, although the on one is a solid choice too
  • Have a 2013 901... absolutely great bike, a lot of fun!! Just couldn't quite stretch to the 905!
  • DirtyHand wrote:
    Have a 2013 901... absolutely great bike, a lot of fun!! Just couldn't quite stretch to the 905!
    I wouldn't pay the £1600 for it but at £999 seems to make it a bit more vfm still my top choice at the moment but been looking at the canyon spectral and thinking I might save a bit more and go fs but then again days like today make me want a bike now
  • Yes £999 makes it a lot better value than rrp but the ride is good!! :) the old want it now predicament... I know that one all too well!!!
  • The Whyte 905 is a great bike. Not great value at RRP, and you'll prob find a better spec elsewhere for £999. But they are a really great ride.

Just bear in mind, budget wise you are not far off a Giant Trance or Anthem at Pauls Cycles prices.
  • I think if I go down the fs route it would be a canyon the only reason ive chose not to have a ht from there is they only do 29ers I was thinking going second hand but worried if the bike goes wrong theres no back up plan
  • OK, but the offers on the Giants at Pauls can be excellent value. I'd take one over a Canyon personally.

Anyway, if you don't fancy one the Whyte 905 will be a great bike for you.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I got the very same Whyte and love it. The best handling bike I've ridden to be honest. Great frame.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    muddpuppy wrote:
    is this a good investment
    No, as investments go it is poor, it will never gain in value!

It may be a good buy, but a bike isn't an investment!

Investment:- The creation of more money through the use of capital.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    muddpuppy wrote:
    is this a good investment
    No, as investments go it is poor, it will never gain in value!

It may be a good buy, but a bike isn't an investment!

Investment:- The creation of more money through the use of capital.
    Sorry bill gates.
    Must try harder with my wording :lol:
  • passout wrote:
    I got the very same Whyte and love it. The best handling bike I've ridden to be honest. Great frame.
    Has it had any problems in any areas mechanically?
  • passout
    No, I haven't had any problems at all. Mechanically everything is fine. I think the spec is all pretty solid - no obvious weak link.

Didn't need to change much either. I love the tyres but put on an advantage up front for winter. Saddle is great. Own brand finishing kit is actually very good - like the wide bars especially. I changed the grips (the originals are decent but not padded enough for me). I usually upgrade or change things around much more but not this time.

FYI I'm a shade under 5'9'' and went for the medium. Its fine.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • passout wrote:
    No, I haven't had any problems at all. Mechanically everything is fine. I think the spec is all pretty solid - no obvious weak link.

Didn't need to change much either. I love the tyres but put on an advantage up front for winter. Saddle is great. Own brand finishing kit is actually very good - like the wide bars especially. I changed the grips (the originals are decent but not padded enough for me). I usually upgrade or change things around much more but not this time.

FYI I'm a shade under 5'9'' and went for the medium. Its fine.
    Im touching 6f will a medium fit or should I go large ?
  • It's marginal. I'm 6/1 and I had a large (2010 model I think) and I wouldn't have wanted it any smaller that's for sure, but I've got long legs and arms I guess. Best to try one if you can, or compare top tube with your current bike.
  • passout
    edited February 2014
    Tricky. I wouldn't want mine any bigger, at first (on road) I felt it was a little too big but once I took it off road I thought again. It seems quite a long bike (effective top tube length) but this works really well with the slack angles. The wider bars make it feel quite big too IMO. I could justify moving from the 80mm standard stem to a 70mm or even 60mm but at the end of the day it handles really well and is comfortable so I've left it - don't want to disturb the magic!

If you are of average proportions (not really 100% sure what I mean by that), want a 'flickable' bike and are happy to show some post then I'd probably say medium. If you are more into all day epics and / or have long limbs then a large may be more suitable.

If you go M you can always go for a 90mm stem. Also the post is lightly set back (20mm maybe?) but you could set it back further. Opposite been true if you go L. With adjustment to stem /post/ saddle you'd may be fine on a L or M. Of course the best way to decide is to sling your leg over one, if poss.

If it were me (and I was your height), I think I'd go M.
  • passout
    ...but Whyte say L: http://www.whytebikes.com/2012/download ... _Chart.pdf

One advantage of going L is that you could get this: http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2011
  • wow! That 19 looks great. Is it the same geo as the 905? If so, I'd seriously consider that.
  • I went for a medium on my whyte and I am around the 6 foot mark. The lbs recommended medium so they ordered one in to demo and I got on with it, like having a bit of room!! Even though whyte themselves reckon large... :D
    Best thing is just to try and get a demo of the sizes and see what feels best for you!
  • chrisw333 wrote:
    It's marginal. I'm 6/1 and I had a large (2010 model I think) and I wouldn't have wanted it any smaller that's for sure, but I've got long legs and arms I guess. Best to try one if you can, or compare top tube with your current bike.
    Im all arms and legs tryed to find a 26" to try but all the shops are only showing new 650b or 29ers so no hope there.