Shimano v Time road pedals

2»

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    They all seem to work fine. All will have some pros and cons.
    I originally used Shimano SPD-SL and changed to Speedplay Zeros two years ago.
    I'd highly recommend the Speedplay Zeros. Pedals are still fine and the cleats have never been replaced. However they are pricier than most initially.

Pros:
    Fully adjustable, resistance free float (+/-15 degs max)
    Easy to clip in and out (double sided pedals don't need to be flipped over and no
    Retention reliability - not linked to ease of clip-in/out unlike any others I'm familiar with
    They look better than any of the others (just because you mentioned appearance!)

Cons:
    Needs occasional maintenance (just a little grease)
    Bare cleats are not good to walk in (keep-on covers offer a good work around)
    The cheapest version (chromoloy) costs over £100

dennisn wrote:
    ....Plus I can't imagine a pair of pedals being as easier to get in and out of as my DA's. I can't imagine it because I wouldn't feel safe with a pedal that was too easy to get in and out of.
    As above Speedplay Zeros don't use the same mechanism to control retention and disengagement so it's not a compromise between reliability in use versus ease of clipping in and out. In 2 years I've never once disengaged unintentionally.
    I'm not saying that makes them a better pedal overall but it's point in their favour in my book.