Shimano v Time road pedals

markiegrim
markiegrim Posts: 136
edited February 2014 in Road beginners
Any views on which would be better for first time user

I'm still struggling as my 2 fave LBS each favour one over the other

Shimano look better made/more robust...whereas Time are supposed to be easier to get into and out of

If I can be assured that Shimano SPD SL are easy to get into and out of, I'll go with those..yes I know they are heavier, but being metal look more robust and just nicer

Is it worth spending ca £75 on 105 v £40 on R540 ?

Thanks

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I only use Time these days (Mavic are identical).
    Pros:
    -Lighter than Shimano (by a lot)
    -Easier to clip in
    -Perfect float (for most)
    Cons
    -Cleats don't last as long
    -Don't always return to neutral position (better bearings in the Xpresso models are the cause)
    -Can't be serviced (my base iClic2's are still going at 10k though)
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Both will be a pain in the ass for a first time user....

It all comes down to personal choice and after a few rides with which ever you go for will become 2nd nature to clip in/out of.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • I ve found that Time are kinder on the knee`s and that the cleat wear from walking is equal to shimano.
  • chuckla
    chuckla Posts: 132
    markiegrim wrote:
    Any views on which would be better for first time user

I'm still struggling as my 2 fave LBS each favour one over the other

Shimano look better made/more robust...whereas Time are supposed to be easier to get into and out of

If I can be assured that Shimano SPD SL are easy to get into and out of, I'll go with those..yes I know they are heavier, but being metal look more robust and just nicer

Is it worth spending ca £75 on 105 v £40 on R540 ?

Thanks
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod108785

Good price for 105 pedals
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    I haven't used Shimano so can't comment but I did change from Look to Time and then back again.
    The reason I changed to Time in the first place was because I was fed up with the Look cleats wearing out Time cleats last a lot longer but unfortunately I found the pedals didn't I got through 3 pairs in 10,000 miles and they are not serviceable.
    One advantage I did find with Time was being able to move my feet further away from my cranks than I could with Look. This was very useful having wide feet.
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    A few votes for Time so far.

I'm going to buck the trend and vote for Shimano.

I used Time for years. A good few years with RXS pedals, during which time I broke the front off of 2 pedals, and a number of cleats. I always found them difficult to clip in to, particularly when the cleats had any wear on them. I then switched to i-Clic. The cleats were the consistency of cheese, and I suffered from false engagement, where the front of the cleat clicked in, but not the back. They were a nightmare, but I believe they've since improved them.

I gave up on Time and switched to Shimano, and I haven't looked back. The pedals are easier to engage, have a much more solid feel, and where I thought I loved the extra float on the Time pedals, I now realise that they feel way too loose for my liking. The Shimano cleats also last so much longer than the Time cleats.

As for weight, 105s are quoted @ 325g, whilst i-Clic are quoted @ 260g. Sounds a lot, but it's just over 30g per pedal. That's the difference between a thin and thick pair of socks. So not noticeable at all.
  • Thanks all so far

Still highly undecided!

I think it boils down to Shimano 105 or Time Xpresso 4 or 6

Seems to be so many pros and cons. Biggest need for me is ease of clipping and out and a nice amount of float. On that basis, answers here and elsewhere would point to Time, but I then keep reading stuff about non serviceability, rubbish cleats, etc that put me back in a quandary :(
  • Grill
    iSHaggy's comments are in regards to first gen cleats. The newer ones are better when it comes to wear, but they're still a hair below what you'll find with Shimano. The lack of serviceability isn't really an issue consider the life you get out of them and how cheap they are.
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    Both will be a pain in the ass for a first time user....
    It all comes down to personal choice and after a few rides with which ever you go for will become 2nd nature to clip in/out of.

I very much agree with this posters comments. Everyone will have their favourite pedal and the fact that there are many models on the market suggest that nobody has yet cornered the market.

I personally have used Look - the first successful mainstream clipless pedal (I think) in the mid 1980's, tried Time many years ago and found them awful (things may well have changed since then) and have been happily using Shimano SPD SL for many years .
    Regards
    Alan
  • I may have just been lucky, but started using SPD-SLs (Shimano R540) last year after years of using flats on a MTB, and based on all I had heard was worried about clipping in and knee pain.

The reality was that all was fine. For the first few rides I made a very overt point of unclipping in good time before I got to a junction, but it soon became second nature.

Knee pain wise, I did suffer once very recently having just changed cleats, and then checked and had fitted one at an odd angle, which appeared to have caused the issue.
  • When I first bought a road bike I put Time RXS on there and had been using them for the last 4 years until I swapped for Shimano. I was having problems with numb toes and I wanted to try a pedal with a wider platform. I think the numb toes issue was more down to cleat position however. Time do have a much better float system if you're worried abut you knees.

Having tried the Shimano I now prefer them. Much easier to get in to, although even on the lowest setting of tension they are harder to get out of than the Time. The cleats are also much better in terms of adjust ability, I can move them from left to right which you can't do with Time cleats. It was mentioned above that the Time pedals are lighter. This is true but the cleats are MUCH heavier than the Shimano cleats due to the metal part on there. Carbon Shimano's + cleats will be lighter than RXS carbon + cleats for the total package which is what you need to look at in terms of weight.

It was also mentioned that the Time pedals are non serviceable. This isn't true. You can get into them quite easily using a monkey wrench, but the cartridge bearings are a pain to remove/install.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    FWIW I have never used Time pedals but can't imagine them being any easier to use or, really, better in any way than Shimano. For a newbie it takes a little practice to "clip in" but after a bit it becomes strictly 2nd. nature and no problems. You put the cleat on the pedal and push down, you hear an audible clip, you go for a ride. I don't follow how people can make such a big deal out of a pedal. :roll:
    As for reliability, well, my DA pedals have NEVER given me any problems and I have NEVER done any more to them than washed them off and maybe put a drop or two of oil on the spring and pivot points.
    As for knee problems, I think that the people who have knee issues are going to have knee issues regardless of the pedals they use. It seems to be the thing, these days, for people with somewhat dodgy knees to blame pedals for all their problems, when they should be looking at their knees.
  • Fair point, but every manufacturer of pedals have their own positive/negative points. Time are definitely easier to get in and out of than Shimano.
  • dennisn
    Fair point, but every manufacturer of pedals have their own positive/negative points. Time are definitely easier to get in and out of than Shimano.

Hmmmm. "...every manufacturer of pedals..." makes CLAIMS as to THEIR pedals positive points and to other pedals negative points. It's advertising and nothing more. Plus I can't imagine a pair of pedals being as easier to get in and out of as my DA's. I can't imagine it because I wouldn't feel safe with a pedal that was too easy to get in and out of.
  • Grill
    dennisn wrote:
    Fair point, but every manufacturer of pedals have their own positive/negative points. Time are definitely easier to get in and out of than Shimano.

Hmmmm. "...every manufacturer of pedals..." makes CLAIMS as to THEIR pedals positive points and to other pedals negative points. It's advertising and nothing more. Plus I can't imagine a pair of pedals being as easier to get in and out of as my DA's. I can't imagine it because I wouldn't feel safe with a pedal that was too easy to get in and out of.

Ridden both. There is no comparison. Time iClic pedals (all version) are far easier to clip into and out of than both 105 and DA pedals (haven't tried Ultegra). There is no issue with surprise unclips. I've had zero in the last 20,000 miles.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    I've got Time RXS on both bikes. No problems at all. Think one pair have a good few years on them.
    Moving onto Xpresso 12's on my good bike.
  • dennisn
    Grill wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Ridden both. There is no comparison. Time iClic pedals (all version) are far easier to clip into and out of than both 105 and DA pedals (haven't tried Ultegra). There is no issue with surprise unclips. I've had zero in the last 20,000 miles.

I guess what I'm really asking is. How hard can it be to clip in and out of ANY of the decent pedals that are out there?
    This thread sort of reminds me of the people who chime in and discuss whether Campy, Shimano, or Sram are the easiest to shift. My standard answer is - How hard can it be to push a easily moved lever a half inch or so? Especially when it's right next to your finger. Same thing with pedals. You put your toe in, push down with your heel, listen for a click, and ride. How does it get any easier than that? Serious question. :roll: :? If someone can't manage clipping into a pedal then maybe actual riding might be beyond their abilities.
  • Grill
    How much lighter is the shifting on Dura Ace as opposed to Tiagra? Just because a process is achievable doesn't mean it can't be made better. Losing almost 100 grams is nice too as is the near perfect float. Different strokes for different folks bro.
  • dennisn
    Grill wrote:
    How much lighter is the shifting on Dura Ace as opposed to Tiagra? Just because a process is achievable doesn't mean it can't be made better. Losing almost 100 grams is nice too as is the near perfect float. Different strokes for different folks bro.

I understand what you're saying. Maybe I'm something of an oddity in that I don't tend to have problems with the various components and frames that are out there. Better / easier things do come along on rare occasions, or so we are told. I've never thought of shifting or pedals or frames or components as the hard part of cycling. That stuff is very easy and of no real issue to me when compared to training, weight management, and keeping the rubber side down at races.
    To me it's just a pedal, just a shifter, just a wheel, just a frame, just a brakeset and most of it is not a lot better / easier than the rest of it. :wink:
  • Grill
    The irony of you using DA pedals instead of 105 is palpable...
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I pondered this choice last year and, after reading plenty of negative comments about Time's durability and seeing pictures of snapped back ends, I went with Shimano again. My 5700s are doing fine although the axle is looking a bit rusty. I've some old spuds on the MTB that still run fine unserviced since '97.
  • dennisn
    Grill wrote:
    The irony of you using DA pedals instead of 105 is palpable...

Oh yeah, I can follow that. I was hoping that would slide by most people without notice but, busted. :oops:
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    Me-109 wrote:
    I pondered this choice last year and, after reading plenty of negative comments about Time's durability and seeing pictures of snapped back ends, I went with Shimano again. My 5700s are doing fine although the axle is looking a bit rusty. I've some old spuds on the MTB that still run fine unserviced since '97.

I've had a few sets of time pedals (iclic and xpresso) and never had any problem with durability in normal use. The only issue I've had was in a crash last year. I went over the bars, feet were pulled straight out of the pedals and the drive side pedal took a good whack when me and the bike landed.

The retention cage (black bit on the xpresso/ iclic) had snapped but I was still able to clip in and ride the 2 miles home slowly. I didn't even realise it was broke until I got home.

I've only got m520 pedals to compare to, but I find the times very easy to get clip in and have been able to unclip in those panic off balance stop moments. I gave my brother in law the iclic (after getting the xpresso) and he said they were much easier to clip in than his shimano spd.
  • dennisn wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

I guess what I'm really asking is. How hard can it be to clip in and out of ANY of the decent pedals that are out there?
    This thread sort of reminds me of the people who chime in and discuss whether Campy, Shimano, or Sram are the easiest to shift. My standard answer is - How hard can it be to push a easily moved lever a half inch or so? Especially when it's right next to your finger. Same thing with pedals. You put your toe in, push down with your heel, listen for a click, and ride. How does it get any easier than that? Serious question. :roll: :? If someone can't manage clipping into a pedal then maybe actual riding might be beyond their abilities.

No. You weren't asking a question. You were implying that I was wrong even though I have ridden both Time and Shimano pedals and can make a direct comparison. You, on the other hand haven't even tried Time pedals, so why try and suggest that the ease of clipping in/out with Time is purely marketing?

The OP was asking for opinions on the easiest pedals to clip in and out of. Seeing as you haven't even tried Time pedals why are you even replying? Never mind taking the thread OT and start talking about Shimano v Campag?? :(
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

No. You weren't asking a question. You were implying that I was wrong even though I have ridden both Time and Shimano pedals and can make a direct comparison. You, on the other hand haven't even tried Time pedals, so why try and suggest that the ease of clipping in/out with Time is purely marketing?

The OP was asking for opinions on the easiest pedals to clip in and out of. Seeing as you haven't even tried Time pedals why are you even replying? Never mind taking the thread OT and start talking about Shimano v Campag?? :(

This whole issue is about solutions to a problem that doesn't exist. Much like oversize(31.8) bars and stems. Or clinchers vs tubulars. Or deep dish carbon wheels vs standard aluminum. You're not learning to play the violin here, you're clipping into a bicycle pedal. How hard can it be? :? A few rides to get used to it and done.
  • FFS. The OP asked a question and some of us tried to answer it.

You however seem to only be here to try and be a smart arse. I suggest you get back to your fancy Dura Ace pedals and get on with it!
  • dennisn
    FFS. The OP asked a question and some of us tried to answer it.
    After a re-read of the OP's post, I've come to the conclusion that this is all about mountains made from molehills.
    Oh, I can see how money would be an issue but people spend whatever they can and I'm pretty sure that whatever is in the OP's price range will most likely be an equal pedal brand to all the other brands in that price range. I do believe that top end pedal brands are of somewhat better quality construction and lighter than the next step down. Do you need DA or another top line pedal? Of course not. I will tell you this. I've just swapped out a pair of earlier model(PD-7800) DA's for some new carbon Ultegras and I'm actually having some difficulty figuring out why I bothered. The old DA's still seem to work like the day I bought them. Must have been the shiny carbon that I became entranced by.
    My advice - if you ride lots? Buy the best quality equipment that you can afford. You won't regret it.
    Key words here are "best quality"(top of the line or close) IF you can afford it. Note that this advice does not extend to wheels. Top of the line, in wheels, are wheels that you can actually use on a daily basis, ones that you trust, ones that can easily be fixed, and ones that don't cause you concern or worry. Sorry, I ramble on. :oops:
  • er........
    Well my innocent post seems to have set off quite a spat. As a newbie of course, it is perfectly acceptable to try to understand if there is a real difference between two pedal types...even if in reality there is very little difference. So thanks to the more patient responders here
    Have used the responses and re-considered advice I was getting from two LBS.
    Have decided to go for Shimano 105
  • I have used Shimano 105 and Ultegra pedals and now currently using Time Xpresso 8.

The shimano pedals are more than adequate for most people. The cleats last a while longer than my old Look cleats and about the same in wear rate the the time cleats. The reason i switched out from Shimano to Time is that i would get absolutely agonizing knee pain with them. Whether it was the float they offered or the fact they are a lot more difficult to clip in/out compared to the Xpresso's or a combination of both.

The Time pedals now are a god send. No knee pain anymore, so easy to clip out and its effortless to clip in as the pedal does the work. They are also lighter (yes, for the weight weenies) and look better imo.

Obviously other people may disagree but this is just my opinion on what i have found. Hope any of that helps