Whey Protein - any benefit to cyclists?

GGBiker
GGBiker Posts: 450
Any views on whether using whey protein before/after training or racing can help improve performance, specifically FTP?

Or is it just helpful for recovery?

Or no help at all??

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If you have a healthy, balanced diet then it'll make bugger all difference.

It definitely won't increase your FTP.
    More problems but still living....
  • Keeping a food diary and monitoring your protein intake would be more worthwhile
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • If you clock more than 20 hours a week of training, you might want to consider an athlete's diet, otherwise a balanced diet will be just fine
    left the forum March 2023
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Ugo has nailed it. All your requirements should be met if your eating well. Spend the cash good healthy food rather than skimmed milk powder, vitamin mix, and 'branch chain amnio acids'. So much money is made from that stuff its scary. :D
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • In my opinion and experience, whey protein can have both benefits and detrimental effects. A great use for recovery drinks within the golden hour following a long (or hard) ride as it will repair the small muscle fibres torn during intense training. If used correctly it can also help in dropping weight as a meal replacement (be careful though as it will mean dropping meals).

In my experience, the detrimental effects are that it can cause weight gain if not managed correctly with your diet and training load.

I am by no means a nutritionist and these are my opinions on what I, and some guys I train with have experienced.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    For racing probable not of any use but for sportives and more endurance focussed events it can really help with blood sugar levels.

Whey protein slows the rate of intake of sugars. As such, some energy gels/drinks can lead to blood sugar level spikes which then induce insulin production. By mixing some whey protein powder with my energy drinks (ratio 1:3) it helped my preformance in the latter parts of a long, say 6 hour/100+ mile, ride.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Mr Dog wrote:
    Ugo has nailed it. All your requirements should be met if your eating well. Spend the cash good healthy food rather than skimmed milk powder, vitamin mix, and 'branch chain amino acids'. So much money is made from that stuff its scary. :D

Whereas healthy food producers make practically no money, and farmers are effectively non-profit charities.

People need to catch a grip with this 'big evil supplement corporation' stuff. Protein supps are the cheapest protein you'll buy with the best amino-acid profile. The thing is simply this though. If you are a bodybuilder you'll save a lot of money using it as your protein requirement is so high, but as a cyclist you'll save very little because you don't need much of it, so there's little point in taking advantage of it for that reason.

You cant just munch on dry chicken breasts all the time, you need to eat other foods in order to make them palatable, which add to the carbs, fat and overall calories in the meal. Protein supps advantages are that you can rebalance your macro-nutrient amounts very easily in your diet, and add protein (should you need to), without eating extra carbs or fat at the same time. And their protein quality is very high.

I think if people could get their heads around the fact that you don't get faster by adding muscle, you get faster by burning fat, carbs and oxygen better, then they'd realise you don't need a load of protein. A regular diet has enough protein to repair muscle damaged in endurance training, which is no where near as much as required when lifting weights to not only repair but add muscle mass.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • esdel
    esdel Posts: 28
    I totally agree that a balanced diet is they way ahead but.

After a Training ride and within the 30 minute window its just easier to Mix up a recovery drink, rather than have to either pre prepare or cook a meal.

But extra protein will Defiantly add weight.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    The only things that are 'special' about whey powder as a protein source is the convenience, and low cost.

Getting adequate protein from other sources is completely possible. Whey powder is just one of many options.

An important concern is to get adequate protein on a daily basis. And especially for muscle recovery, to have a serving of protein (approx. 20 grams) and carbs soon after an exercise session (within approx. 30 minutes).

Good nutrition will help reduce the time needed for rest & recovery, and that will allow more time for productive training.

And yes, whey protein is a source of calories, so it does add to the total calorie intake.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Burn your cash if you've tonnes of it... most of the extra protein you consume will simply end up in the toilet bowl :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • GBY73
    GBY73 Posts: 20
    Protein is required for much more than just muscle repair/growth.

http://www.optimumnutrition4sport.com/?page_id=326
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    I wouldn't recommend protein sups, can cause indigestion. Something you don't want on the bike.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I'm a Vegetarian and I'm aware of the difficulty of getting good protein into my body after a ride, so recovery drinks with Whey Protein in have made a major difference to my recovery.
  • I have just starting using" TORQ Recovery " protein and carb mix that was created to help aid muscle recovery :wink:
    Been taking it after hard turbo sessions (sufferfest videos synced with Trainerroad) It has really helped me recover faster ,with less leg muscle ache or DOMs ! It is very expensive stuff though :(
    But in my opinion it helps me take in high quality protein and colories that i would struggle to eat ,It tastes great and does not give me wind .
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    If you have a serious interest in this subject I suggest you check out this webinar, it is full of good information and has changed my opinion on this subject. The presenter makes a fairly compelling case imo that it is not a question of what you eat but when. In this context whey protein may well have a role because
    - It is rapidly processed by the body which means
    >> Less stress during exercise
    >> Quicker metabolism switch post workout to promote muscle adaptation (which is why we train in the first place)
    - During and immediately post exercise some people find it easier to drink liquid than eat solids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnCmTTNx_Jo&list=WLmKUzkJ5WCqgET6GAKA2QOxDKeZbQxMWm

(Notwithstanding the fact that it is sponsored by a company marketing a beet juice it's very balanced, though a bit of a powerpoint fest.)

This book, by the presenter, is also worth checking out

http://www.amazon.com/Nutrient-Timing-Future-Sports-Nutrition/dp/1591201411
    Martin S. Newbury RC