Foot arch pain out of nowhere - any solutions

Tjgoodhew
Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
This week i have developed some pretty nasty arch pain in my foot and it seems to be getting worse instead of better to the point where walking is become really painful and no amount of painkillers seem to do the trick

I went for a short ride on Monday night and my foot was a bit sore and since then the pain has got worse.

The strange thing is nothing has changed with my set up, my shoes and cleats have been the same for the past year, i havent changed my saddle height and the route i took on Monday was one i am familiar with.

I had a bit of arch pain when i first started riding but other than this i have never experienced it as bad as it is now.

On top of that i am supposed to be riding in the Evans Ride Kent Sportive on Sunday which im guessing will only make it worse.

Any ideas on what has caused it but more importantly are there any quick fixes which will relieve the pain so i can ride on Sunday ?
Cannondale Caad8
Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt

Comments

• BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Does the insole in your shoe fit to the shape of your foot? Not sure what brand of shoe you have but Specialized for example have different colour insoles which are designed to match different shaped feet. I changed from their red ones (which came with my shoes) to the blue and my feet feel far better in them.
  • BrandonA wrote:
    Does the insole in your shoe fit to the shape of your foot? Not sure what brand of shoe you have but Specialized for example have different colour insoles which are designed to match different shaped feet. I changed from their red ones (which came with my shoes) to the blue and my feet feel far better in them.

No idea - if im honest i have never paid any attention as this has never been an issue and has used these shoes for the past 12 months and over 2000 miles with no problems.

If the shoes and insoles were the issue would this not have been an ongoing problem ? I will have a look tonight and see if there is a big difference in shape with the soles and my feet
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I had the same thing happen to me a little over a year ago. Most likely cause is either planter faciitis or tarsal tunnel syndrome. For me it went away after a few weeks and I still cycled (although it hurt like hell). Try anti-inflammatories and if you don't already have a decent footbed then get you (spec or something custom).
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • When you get out of bed in the morning is your foot bad and eases of during the day ?
    If it does this could be Plantar Fasciitis, I developed this through running and it can be a bugger to get rid of.
    regrads
    ILG
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Sounds like it could be plantar fasciitis, particularly if heel pain is worse on getting up in morning. It is inflammation of the tissues connecting heel with ball of foot and is pretty common in runners. It's difficult to eradicate.

I suddenly developed it in my right foot out of the blue last summer after I landed on my arch on a sharp rock while fell running and it's still niggling me. There's plenty of useful stuff on the internet on stretches etc. I find the best relief is from rolling the back of my calves on a foam roller and rolling something under my arch - some people recommend using a small ball, I find an aerosol works well. Both those give me instant relief from my morning pain.
  • Mercia Man wrote:
    Sounds like it could be plantar fasciitis, particularly if heel pain is worse on getting up in morning. It is inflammation of the tissues connecting heel with ball of foot and is pretty common in runners. It's difficult to eradicate.

I suddenly developed it in my right foot out of the blue last summer after I landed on my arch on a sharp rock while fell running and it's still niggling me. There's plenty of useful stuff on the internet on stretches etc. I find the best relief is from rolling the back of my calves on a foam roller and rolling something under my arch - some people recommend using a small ball, I find an aerosol works well. Both those give me instant relief from my morning pain.

It looks like my valentines will be spent on a roller and with a deodorant can on my foot then. !!!
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• welsh_14
    welsh_14 Posts: 259
    I've had this quite badly in both my feet. I've found a cold can of coke straight from the fridge (other drinks may work! :lol: ) rolled under the arch is absolute heaven!

+1 for foam rollering and I also find stretching my achillies has eased it a bit too.
  • ongej
    ongej Posts: 118
    If it is plantar fasciitis, I developed it on the left foot after sprinting to a lecture too suddenly (been a while since I ran.. wrong shoes, unconditioned feet etc..)... One thing that has helped quite a lot was calf stretches. I hear that if your calf muscles are too tight (and all along the chain, like hamstrings etc)... they will pull on the heel bone and the plantar fascia. After stretching the calf muscles (along with other ones like hamstrings, glutes, etc...), the problem got much better.