Bike fit and lower back pain

tpbiker
tpbiker Posts: 24
Hi

Trying to establish if a stretched out bike may cause a sore lower back.

I'm about to press the button on a Canyon Ultimate CF to replace my old Planet x SL. I'm opting for a small, which is pretty much 1 cm less in tt and reach than my planet x. Given all angles are the same an extra 10mm length stem would I assume give me a very similar position. (110 mm, currently have a 100mm)

Trouble is I currently get a bit of back pain after an hour of so on the bike, and a few internet searches appear to show that it may be because I am a bit stretched out. Would this be a possible cause, or conversly could it be that I'm currently to cramped and need to space myself out a bit more?

Initial plan was to just go with experiment with stem lengths when I got the bike, but I see that its a non standard steerer tube size, so thats not really such an option. No pics of me on the bike to really help make a judgement either Im afraid, but if I'm honest the current bike feels good until I hit the hour mark...

Any help would be useful

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    The Canyon steerers are an unusual size (1 1/4") but you can buy stems that fit. I think FSA and Ritchey do them, and probably others too.
  • Personally, and on the advice of my chiropractor, lower back pain is often connected to flexibility in your hamstrings so lots of stretching has helped me reduce the pain on longer rides. Probably helps me get a more stretched position without causing as much tension in the lower back.

Your results may well differ :D
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    Personally, I would try to determine exactly what is causing the pain before purchasing another bike that might give you the same amount of grief
    Try to borrow or demo others bike to see if their geometry suits you better.
    Have you tried a proper body fit ?
    Have you considered a Sportive bike with a more upright position ?
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • hubcap
    hubcap Posts: 163
    I would go with the flexibility advice.

I used to get lower back pain after about an hour, almost without fail. Did lots of stretching and core strength work and lower back pain disappeared, rode 90 miles a day for 4 days through the Alps last summer without even a twinge!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Core strength?
    I used to do plenty of physical activity which used my core but since cycling has completely taken over my core has gone to pot, I started to get lower back pain and it was pointed out to me that I needed to strengthen my core muscle, I have and it's helped no end.

Plus, a smaller size frame will give you a shorter head tube, shorter head tube, more drop which could aggravate your back.
  • Bespoke cycles have an interesting article on lower back pain:

http://bespokecycling.blogspot.co.uk/
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Bozman wrote:
    Core strength?
    I used to do plenty of physical activity which used my core but since cycling has completely taken over my core has gone to pot, I started to get lower back pain and it was pointed out to me that I needed to strengthen my core muscle, I have and it's helped no end.

Plus, a smaller size frame will give you a shorter head tube, shorter head tube, more drop which could aggravate your back.

This before you start messing around too much with the bike.

Check out the Training forum and have a look for a thread about Core Strength and buy the book recommended - co-written by Tom Danielson. It's excellent.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Lots of people suffer lower back pain, but everyone is different, so the causes and solutions are not the same. For me (@ 6’ tall) switching from a 55cm frame to a 57cm, removing all but one of the spacers and fitting a 120mm stem did the trick. So I needed stretching out a bit. For others I’m sure it’s the opposite.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    For me it was too much drop caused lower back pain. Still ride well stretched out just less drop.
  • I used to suffer lower back pain after an hour or two, and a change of bike fixed the problem. Whether it was the shorter top tube length or some other set-up difference I'm not sure - I no longer have the old bike to compare it - and knowing a bit more about geometry now, it could be that other cheaper options would have achieved the same result.
  • ju5t1n wrote:
    Lots of people suffer lower back pain, but everyone is different, so the causes and solutions are not the same. For me (@ 6’ tall) switching from a 55cm frame to a 57cm, removing all but one of the spacers and fitting a 120mm stem did the trick. So I needed stretching out a bit. For others I’m sure it’s the opposite.

This is the bottom line. For me it's as simple as the saddle being as little as 5mm too high.
  • I suffer from a lower back pain for years. I have seen a physio on the NHS and they didn't do a lot for me.

I am thinking of going private and seeing somebody else. I am 6ft 4 and have been advised it is the muscle in my lower back.

I have found having a short stem on the bike so i am sat in more of an upright position works well for me. I have done a few 3hr rides and not had any cramp or soreness.

I guess its a case of trial and error. But i would go get your back checked regardless
  • I have really recently managed to ged rid of almost all my discomfort simply by sitting differentl on the bike, and bending my back. I had to force myself at first (I'm used to having a concave back as though you're doing squats) but beiding it out to a convex shape has taken all the pressure off, and my hands feel a lot lighter on the bars.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    If the bike setup was inappropriate to start with then a correction may be all that's needed. However, if the setup was fine but you have to change it because your body has a problem a change to the setup may just address the symptom, not the cause.

Regardless if you can get rid of the pain by changing the bike setup it might be worth seeing a good physio to be sure there isn't an underlying problem. These typically get gradually worse not better if left untreated and the solution can be fairly simple if you're lucky (some focused flexibility and/or core strength work is often enough).
  • dizarch
    dizarch Posts: 152
    I used to ride a hybrid and was far too upright in the saddle which caused lower back pain. I'm now riding a road bike but have been stretching to reach the drops and that has caused pain in the upper spine and neck.

My local bike store put a shorter stem on, reducing the reach and the problem has gone away. It's all in the ride position and I'd recommend having a word with your local independent bike store (the chains are useless in my experience) explain the problem and they'll offer best advice and remedy.
    Getting older and wanting to go further

Strava: http://www.strava.com/athletes/4664961

Twitter: @miles505050
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    I get back pain when I'm low so I tend to set up bikes with a more "sportive" upright position (ie spacers and flipped stem).
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Irrespective if it is a bikefit or an underlying physical issue, if I knew many years ago what I know now, I'd be exercising to strengthen my core 2-3 week; not only as a mean for cycling but as a general life rule. While it is never too late to start, its to my detriment that I only started exercising it once the injury became apparent. Although it can't be said with certainty, I am now of the opinion that doing core exercises earlier in life may have prevented or at least, delayed the onset of injury.

I appreciate what works for me won't necessarily work for everyone else but for me, two months now of doing regular core exercises have seen a significant reduction in lower back pain resulting from a bulging disc. Its still relatively early days but aside from a very minor niggle here and there, there have been no recent occurrences of any debilitating pain and pretty much pain free altogether the last 2-3 weeks. Never in my life had I specifically exercised my core before but will from here on in.
  • Go and get a proper bike fit to determine what is causing it. Where are you so we can recommend someone who isn't an idiot who can sort you out.

It could be core strength, it could be glute strength and hip flexibility, it could just be saddle too high and too far back.

Your initial assumption about reach is correct, but was everything else the same, seattube angle, headtube length, spacer setup, stem angle vs. headtube angle...

Also crank lengths????