Training for ride 100

ashleydwsmith
ashleydwsmith Posts: 693
Managed to get a charity place for the ride 100, but I need to train. Anyone got any good training regimes? Indoor and outdoor and gym?
Obviously riding a lot, was thinking of doing zone training which I read the article I. Here about.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Ash

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    How about some history - where are you starting from - if you can already do 80 miles then 100 won't be anything much ... if you're not riding at all - so starting from scratch then that's different ...

tbh, if you're starting from scratch then one important thing is getting miles in the legs - I did this a couple of years ago in prep for a 85 mile ride - just adding 5 miles to the distance each weekend until I reached about 60 - seemed a long way at the time.

The key bit is just getting used to being in the saddle and turning the pedals for the duration ...
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    With my rejection letter I got a magazine with training plans in them, and they looked OK.
    Insert bike here:
  • not new, been riding for a couple of years road and mtb.

biggest ride is 50miles so far. regularly do 30 mile rides.

going to the gym and doing cardio and weights (to tone up).
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    There are some sportive training tips on this site http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/t ... t-1-29340/

Alternatively if you are a British Cycling member then they have some training plans too
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    It's a very flat and fast course. All you need to do is ride your bike and get comfortable in the saddle for a few hours. Day of the ride just sit in someones wheel. You'll have 20,000 to choose from...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Grill wrote:
    It's a very flat and fast course. All you need to do is ride your bike and get comfortable in the saddle for a few hours. Day of the ride just sit in someones wheel. You'll have 20,000 to choose from...

Did you ride it last year? I feel like the mental side of getting up leith/box is scaring me more than the 100. So when you say flat, do you mean that when you hit the 2 peaks, your legs are likely to still be relatively fresh?
  • Did it last year from a pretty poor baseline
    Yes, you will get to the cllimbs pretty fresh - its flat and fast all the way to Newlands
    I did a write up on the hills on the RL100 training group, copied below

As promised,

Did the Surrey hills section yesterday.

For context, I am pretty inexperienced, reasonably unfit, 46 years old and 100Kg. Did it on my road bike, with triple front 52/42/32 and 9sp 12-25 at rear.

Strava data here http://app.strava.com/activities/49552330

2 really suprizing aspects here - Firstly, none of the hills were insurmountable - Leith is a bastard, but a fat middle aged bloke could do a reasonable job of it. Secondly there are some VERY fast downhills - I was clocked at 47MPH on the run down into Dorking, and was above 40MPH several other times.

To break the hills down.

Newlands corner - Short and not that sharp - did it 42/16 at a reasonably steady cadence, 8MPH. Over in 5 mins max, then a very fast downhill on smoothish tarmac - a real rush!!

Leith Hill. This is pretty grim - starts on the main road with a little rise which I stood up for at 10MPH or so. Turns off, and plods up at reasonable gradient, before ramping at about 1/2 a mile into horrid 5 minutes at 6MPH with a pulse above 160! Used the granny cog, and maxed out at the back - 32/25 - was grateful for the bigger cassete I fitted for this ride!! Flattens out a little for about another 4 min climb after a junction. I did stop momentarily here to check directions, but could have done the whole thing in one bite. After that a pretty nice, fast roller. So if you are up to 10 mins at maximal output, you can do this no problem, but it aint fun!!

Then a very fast rollercoaster along the A25 into Dorking - that was fun, so long as you are happy to give the bike its head, and dont get baulked by slow moving cars!

Finally, Box Hill. This was, suprzingly a bit of a breeze! 10 mins at about 10MPH, 42/21 - the other great thing is the olympic grade tarmac, which really is as smooth as silk and drops the rolling resistance to nothing. Watch out for sheep though.

Run back to Leatherhead is basically flat into some very fast downhill sections. One vicious little rise around Headley, but again, over before it starts.

In summary, no great challengers, but will be interesting given that they start about 45 miles in, with Leith hill about 55 miles, just as my legs normally start to wobble! I think my tactic will be not to tear my guts out for the first 45, and rest / recover at the top of Newlands for a few mins, followed by another rest around Dorking. Anyone got any info on where feed station are likley to be?

For those desperate to see what the hills look liike from the perspcetive of a fatty, I will be uploading videos to Youtube over the next day or so.

By martinperry 10 months ago in Prudential RideLondon Surrey 100
  • PBo
    Thanks Martin!
  • Grill
    PBo wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Did you ride it last year? I feel like the mental side of getting up leith/box is scaring me more than the 100. So when you say flat, do you mean that when you hit the 2 peaks, your legs are likely to still be relatively fresh?

I don't need to ride it to know how flat it is (I've done hillier 100 mile TTs). I've looked at the profiles and they're both power climbs as they're not nearly long enough to require a tempo pace. I had a few friends do it last year and they all finished under 5 hours without actually trying for a time. They've got nothing on any of the Welsh or other Southwest climbs.

Best advice is to find a cat4 climb in your area (usually about a mile at 6% or so) and do reps to find out what pacing and gearing works best for you.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I'd agree with Martin Perry on the hills summary. I did it last year, I hadn't done Newlands before so it caught me out a little bit, but it isn't as hard as Leith. I would say Leith is quite tough, and on the day it's likely there will be bikes all over the road, the surface is bad. It has two stages, gradually getting steeper til the farm, then the gradient backs off a bit, and then goes again. Probably not as tough as Ditchling Beacon, if you know that.

Box Hill isn't too bad, the worst bit is at the bottom but by the top it is quite flat. The surface is beautiful though.

There is also a hill in Wimbledon which coming near the end is quite hard.

I'd get some practice in group riding, if you haven't done it before you'll want to know about the signals/calls and the etiquette. It was one of the best parts of last year's ride for me, the constant forming and reforming of groups. Doing your turn at the front won't be as important as on a club ride though.
  • Grill, being an alien from another planet, and does 200 mile rides before breakfast, is the last person to believe when he says something is easy!! :)

I did the RL100 last year, having started riding the previous October age 50, and managed the RL100 in 6:53 (as you can see, I'm among the slowest in these parts!) including stops.

Leith Hill is the worst of the three; Newlands Corner the second worst, and Box Hill easy in comparison to either.

I was happy with 34/30 for Leith and Newlands, and I can't remember what I used for Box, maybe a click or two up from that.

I practised on Leith Hill (and the nearby, steeper, White Down Lane) several times before the ride. Once I'd done them a couple of times, there was no more fear, and although the upwards slog is hard, I find it's just a question of picking a slow enough speed, and maintaining it despite the pain.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • PBo
    Grill wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    Grill wrote:

I don't need to ride it to know how flat it is (I've done hillier 100 mile TTs). I've looked at the profiles and they're both power climbs as they're not nearly long enough to require a tempo pace. I had a few friends do it last year and they all finished under 5 hours without actually trying for a time. They've got nothing on any of the Welsh or other Southwest climbs.

Best advice is to find a cat4 climb in your area (usually about a mile at 6% or so) and do reps to find out what pacing and gearing works best for you.
    Thanks for this!

Anyone know any hills in Hertfordshire that fit this bill?

Thanks
  • Grill
    Apparently there are no hills in Hertfordshire... This is the best I could find: http://www.strava.com/segments/811335
  • Where in Herts?
  • cheers everyone. i think im going to goet to box do some reps and build up to leith.

will do some roller training as well.
  • davep1
    Unless you really are starting from scratch I wouldn't spend a lot of time on Box Hill. Go east from there and you'll come to Pebble Hill which drops down to Betchworth. Watch the railway crossing at the bottom which was in a he'll of a state last time I went over it. Turn round and climb it - has a truly nasty kick at the top lone Barhatch. You can also loop back north of Box Hill through Headley I think. Another climb worth doing the other way but steadier
  • PBo
    Where in Herts?
    I live in oakwood North London, but can be in south herts at Potters bar within 10-15 mins...
  • Shame - not my territory, so cant really recommend a lot - Im in NE Herts
    From my lmited knowledge that way, think north west towards the Chilterns, but to be honest anywhere that way will give you a reasonabe simulation of Surrey

http://app.strava.com/activities/53762789

Is an Evans Sportive I did out of Potters Bar last year as training - reasonably lumpy by Herts Standards!!
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    PBo wrote:
    Anyone know any hills in Hertfordshire that fit this bill?
    Anything with just over 100m of ascent and not stupidly steep will do.

The three hills are a total of 30 minutes or so of the ride. The key is to be able to pedal well for the remaining 4.5h. The downside of a flat ride is that you have to work the whole way round. That's where I'd place my attention.

Paul
  • Rob85_
    Rob85_ Posts: 29
    I did Ride London last year and got a time of 4:41:03. For the training I rode the Surrey part of the route from Hampton Court through Leith Hill, Box Hill to Kingston. So you could drive to Hampton Court (If you can't cycle) and do a loop around Surrey which I think is around 55/60 miles if I remember correctly.

As mentioned in this thread already it is pretty flat over the whole 100 miles. The bits that could be tricky for anyone that hasn't been up any hills are Newlands Corner and Leith Hill. So would advise anyone training to either go and do those bits so they know what to expect and can enjoy the day fully or find something of a similar gradient.

I have spoken to quite a few people that did Ride London last year and a large factor in the time you get is probably the people that start in and around you. I guess I was lucky as I did have a lot of people that were keen to push the pace and started in a middle-ish group. If you say started in the last group I think it would be a lot harder to get a good time as you wouldn't have that many people around you.

It is an amazing experience to cycle through London with no traffic. I didn't get a place this year which is a shame but in a way I'm glad others get to experience it. Get fit and you'll really enjoy it.
  • Rob85_ wrote:
    I did Ride London last year and got a time of 4:41:03. For the training I rode the Surrey part of the route from Hampton Court through Leith Hill, Box Hill to Kingston. So you could drive to Hampton Court (If you can't cycle) and do a loop around Surrey which I think is around 55/60 miles if I remember correctly.

As mentioned in this thread already it is pretty flat over the whole 100 miles. The bits that could be tricky for anyone that hasn't been up any hills are Newlands Corner and Leith Hill. So would advise anyone training to either go and do those bits so they know what to expect and can enjoy the day fully or find something of a similar gradient.
    Very good advice, I reckon, speaking as a newbie that went through all this for the first time last year.

Starting at Hampton Court, there's a really nice loop that I do...

Hampton Court - Esher - Cobham (via Sandy Lane) - Effingham - Newlands Corner - Abinger Hammer - Leith Hill - White Down Lane - Box Hill - Epsom Downs - Oxshott - Esher - Hampton Court....

http://www.strava.com/activities/63733811

Once you've done White Down Lane (northbound) a few times without stopping, no matter how slowly, none of the RLS100 hills will be in the least bit scary.
    Rob85_ wrote:
    I have spoken to quite a few people that did Ride London last year and a large factor in the time you get is probably the people that start in and around you. I guess I was lucky as I did have a lot of people that were keen to push the pace and started in a middle-ish group. If you say started in the last group I think it would be a lot harder to get a good time as you wouldn't have that many people around you.
    I was pretty much in the last lot to leave the Olympic Park, and didn't ride with anyone. I was on someone's wheel occasionally, but it was pretty much a solo ride.

I feel better about my 6:53 now :)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • not new, been riding for a couple of years road and mtb.

biggest ride is 50miles so far. regularly do 30 mile rides.

going to the gym and doing cardio and weights (to tone up).

Boris Johnson did it... 'nouh said...
    left the forum March 2023
  • davep1
    Rob85_ wrote:

It is an amazing experience to cycle through London with no traffic. I didn't get a place this year which is a shame but in a way I'm glad others get to experience it. Get fit and you'll really enjoy it.

I would agree with everything above, and Chris' comment below about White Down! Go further west and try Barhatch Lane (just this side of Cranleigh) another toughie.

I started in the penultimate wave, and was in a group til I stopped at Newlands 45 miles in. The group changed constantly, some of the time there were only 2 or 3 of us, other times there were 20+. I had ridden plenty of 100 milers before but on my own so was confident I would be under 7 hrs if I could get in a group; I did it in 5.45 and could have been quicker without the stop at Newlands. I did find it harder to get in a group after this point though.
  • based on my experience last year, I would practice going up a hill like Leith Hill very slowly as you will be caught up in a massive jam with all the mamils on vastly expensive bikes...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd think being comfy riding wheels would be a big factor. A lot of people did fast times last year - just drafting round the course.
  • i have joined the ranks of sufferfest.

so that will get me going along with my training rides.

did the fitness test yesterday and it felt good despite being indoors.

definitely will be doing hill reps and doing a route out of the outskirts of london and round the back miles.

cheers for all the tips.