Canyon Bikes

casatikid
casatikid Posts: 229
edited March 2014 in Road general
Hi,has anyone out there had dealings with Canyon U/K or Canyon in general?
Reason is,i have been considering buying a Canyon CF SLX Ultimate 9.0 and contacted their U/K branch requesting a brochure of the above only to be told that any info I require is on their website.
Well,im sorry but when looking at spending around £3,500+ then a grainy internet pic just wont do.
Anyone had dealings with Canyon and better still,has anyone purchased an Ultimate 9.0 and what do they think of it?

Comments

• They are at the London bike show, can you get down there?

I'd also add that I've ordered the CF SL 9.0, not quite the £££ you are spending but tbh, the bike looks ok, it's the performance that will count. Take your point though.
  • CASATIKID wrote:
    Reason is,i have been considering buying a Canyon CF SLX Ultimate 9.0 and contacted their U/K branch requesting a brochure of the above only to be told that any info I require is on their website.
    Well,im sorry but when looking at spending around £3,500+ then a grainy internet pic just wont do.
    Anyone had dealings with Canyon and better still,has anyone purchased an Ultimate 9.0 and what do they think of it?

One of the reasons they are such good value is that they cut costs by not having catalogues. I'd say thier website is excellent and certainly contains alot more info than a 'grainy pic'
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    CASATIKID wrote:
    Honestly, I don't see much point in a paper brochure. The entire Canyon distribution model is web based with minimal overheads so I have no problem with that. I would like if they had some better pics on their site but there are enough in reviews elsewhere to make up for that. I've just ordered a Canyon and short of seeing one in the flesh I found what I needed. I don't know what a glossy brochure would add except a few pounds or euro per bike. There's more data on their site than in the vast majority of paper brochures. In short, I completely disagree. I have no time for psper marketing materials. They're just a waste of paper and money
  • CASATIKID wrote:

It's a great bike but I don't think that their business model is suited to your needs.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I have to agree with Al-1; First get yourself a decent monitor for your pc, £160 should do it, then you won't see any grainy internet pics and you can bathe in the warmth of not supporting more needless tree chopping to fuel needless costs of unnecessary and expensive colour brochures.
  • While I can understand why you want a brochure, I can't see the rationale on not buying a bike based on the lack of brochure as valid. They are just a waste of space, time and money, and I run a graphic design organisation.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    CASATIKID wrote:

Go to a bike shop then.
  • I've seen the brochure (binned it) now have the bike. The web pics are better than the brochure/ the bike looks better in the flesh!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    It's an odd perspective. I think that as a buying experience, a top line Canyon is going to be a bit of a nothing - no different as an experience to buying a box of gels online. That's not the point - they are great value bikes. Not great things of beauty but they do what they are meant to for less money than the opposition.

A paper brochure isn't going to transform the Canyon buying experience into anything memorable. If you want that, go to somewhere like Epic and spend a day discussing your needs, speccing your bike, getting a fit, testing bikes built up to match your fit and take home a beautiful bike that will be unique to you, unlike the far less personal but higher spec for the money Canyon.

Two entirely different experiences, both equally valid. Personally, after four years I still look back happily on the buying experience of my Look as a really fun time and seeing it built up infront of me is a small part of why I will never sell it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I find it quite funny that you're willing to spend £3500 on a road bike and you know f-all about Canyon. There's a little thing out there called the internet, you look for reviews and tests plus you just happen to have posted on a site that has a search facility.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    CASATIKID wrote:

you sound like a potential "nightmare customer"

save yourself and Canyon the hassle and buy your bike from a bikeshop instead.
  • triban
    triban Posts: 149
    I took delivery of my Ultimate CF SL8 about a month ago, and i love it!

you do need to be patient; i ordered mine in september last year and had a 3 month wait! it ultimately arrived 1 week late.

i didn't speak with them during the buying process, but i did contact them during the week i was supposed to receive my bike and i wasn't to impressed with them as they just gave me standard responses, including telling me they had shipped the bike when they hadn't! which was a bit annoying.

but the bike is excellent, and in part, its their minimal/slow way of operating that allows them to offer such great value that is worth waiting for. If you can't wait, you really shouldn't order from Canyon unless it is from stock.

printed brochures are what makes other brands so expensive! :wink:
  • Check out ROSE too

They do a bit more than Canyon..... oh and have a catalogue :roll:
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    I bought a Canyon MTB based on the photos on the Canyon website and a magazine review. When it turned up the colour looked just the photos I enlarged on my colour corrected monitor.

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1071-1.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

If I had bought a Canyon carbon road bike I may have been surprized as raw UD carbon varies in appearance frame to frame. It also looks different under studio flash than in daylight.

The solution is to ring up Canyon in London and arrange a visit to view. They do have quite a few bikes on the premises. In my case I found the black anodizing on the alloy frames looked nicer in reality than in the photos
    so I suppose I hadn't quite got the full picture from the media. For example, an all black bike looks smaller and more tightly packaged than the same model in a lighter colour.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Check out ROSE too

They do a bit more than Canyon..... oh and have a catalogue :roll:
    Funnily enough. I've purchased a few bits and pieces from Rose and they now send me a catalogue each season. It goes in the recycling. It's easier to find what you're after on their website!
  • Back to your original question ... i have the SLX 8.0 + vclsII .... same bike, original wheels not so good as the 9.0.
    What i did was to buy some better wheels ( c24's) and sold the krysium elite as new.

Its a super ride.
    - stiff ( you can feel the energy going forward when out of the saddle),
    - comfortable ( more than my 2007 roubaix ) especially on the rear
    - and handles ( in a good way ). really not that fast as many of the reviews indicate ..i'd say just right. very stable going down hills and around bends
    - oh and to impress your mates - v light! mine is 14.8lbs including pedals and cages.

Canyon guys were good in the UK. I originally had a issue with the bike that they handled very well. Suspect they will be challenged to maintain support levels as the business grows.

Be aware .. The dates they quote are when they start to build the bike, not when you get it. In effect they sell build slots and then build to order and ship direct.

Agree with the other comments that cutting out overheads like expensive brochures is necessary to delivering on their value proposition, of "leading edge technology at a great price". Worry that their prices may drifty up now they are sponsoring two TdF road teams. They put up the prices this year compared to last.
  • Thanks for all you replies Guys and thast includes the ones that are a little sarcastic.
    All part of going on Bike Radar I suppose.
  • styxd wrote:
    CASATIKID wrote:

you sound like a potential "nightmare customer"

save yourself and Canyon the hassle and buy your bike from a bikeshop instead.
    Bit nasty I thought?
  • pj101
    pj101 Posts: 31
    If you want to avoid sarcastic and nasty replies (ill informed opinions) you're best steering clear of asking questions on internet forums.
    I have a canyon MTB and I'm really pleased with it. The build quality and value is excellent. The one thing that's stopping me from purchasing a road bike though is the sizing. I just can't make my mind up between S/M CF and would like to try one or the other before I buy.
    If you can convince yourself size wise, then I wouldn't worry about the finished article.
  • Cheers pj101.
    Nice to receive a sensible reply.I have taken what you say onboard.
    Trouble is I have only seen the bikes on T/V and on the internet that's why I wanted to see a detailed photo.
    Mick
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    I have the Canyon CF SLX 9, it's great. I was at the Bike show today and seem to remember Canyon had catalogues there. They certainly had lots of free posters. I had a spin on the RCUK track on a different Canyon Road bike. Get yourself down to the show, it's great!
  • Good enough for these guys.
    I took this photo on sunday they look amazing bikes, i quite fancy one of the team bikes myself.
    image_zpsc2d25657.jpg
    image_zpsa7988559.jpg
  • CASATIKID wrote:
    Nice to receive a sensible reply.

You have had lots of sensible replies. Maybe not what you wanted to hear though?

I stand by my original post..
    It's a great bike but I don't think that their business model is suited to your needs.
    CASATIKID wrote:
    I have taken what you say onboard.

Did you take this reply onboard?
    Rolf F wrote:
    It's an odd perspective. I think that as a buying experience, a top line Canyon is going to be a bit of a nothing - no different as an experience to buying a box of gels online. That's not the point - they are great value bikes. Not great things of beauty but they do what they are meant to for less money than the opposition.

A paper brochure isn't going to transform the Canyon buying experience into anything memorable. If you want that, go to somewhere like Epic and spend a day discussing your needs, speccing your bike, getting a fit, testing bikes built up to match your fit and take home a beautiful bike that will be unique to you, unlike the far less personal but higher spec for the money Canyon.

Two entirely different experiences, both equally valid. Personally, after four years I still look back happily on the buying experience of my Look as a really fun time and seeing it built up infront of me is a small part of why I will never sell it.

If you still want to buy a Canyon then I would go further and say that you need to adopt the mindset that Canyon is doing YOU the favour by selling you a bike for £3,500. If you are of the opinion that because you are spending 3.5k you can start dictating the terms of the sale then you need to look elsewhere.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Good enough for these guys.
    I took this photo on sunday they look amazing bikes, i quite fancy one of the team bikes myself.
    image_zpsc2d25657.jpg
    image_zpsa7988559.jpg

Nice work Jeff, fancy one myself.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • They look fantastic, I'd just ordered my CF SL 9.0 about 3-4 weeks before they released that team editon but whilst I prefer that colour scheme, I think spending £500 less on the black softens the blow.
  • I just absolutely love riding my Canyon. Bought the frame from the Outlet store in the sale & built it up & it is just so much fun to ride! I did contact the UK Canyon guys before i pressed the button over sizing, they were helpful, to a point. If i was in the market for a new bike, it would be a Canyon again,no doubt.
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Bought my Ultimate CF way back in 09. Not many about back then...have since bought a Nerve XC. Great bikes the pair of um.
    If/when i change my road bike...it will be another Canyon for sure.
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • My next bike may well be a Canyon, thinking about it now.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    TBH, I don't know why most people don't just buy a bike based solely on looks nowadays. At around 3 - 5 grand price all bikes are near enough the same. some slightly more aero or a few gramms lighter heare or there, but its only the frame and fork. Do they build the drive train? nope. Wheels? maybe but are you going to keep stock wheels on forever? tyres, saddle, stems, seatposts are mostly 3rd party brands and the higher the price the likelyhood of them being so raises.

Looking for stiffness? at a 3 grand + bike it damn well should be so stop mentioning it. Decide what type of riding you do (vast majority aint racing so forget aero or ultra agressive frames) stick to a middle of the road comfort frame a la Domane or Roubaix etc. If you really are going to be doing more competitive riding wtf are you doing asking for advice on a forum? you should know your stuff already.

But then as I said at the beginning, just buy what you like the looks of or looks a bargain. You are never really going to get the best out of your bike unless you are pro or semi pro. If you are you would not come on a forum asking about it. Canyons are good bikes. cheaper cos they are net only sales. thats all you really need to know. I compare tech talk about stiffness and aerodynamics etc to guys who rattle on about bhp and torque in cars. Great if your racing but sitting at a max of 70mph who gives a fck?

You like Canyons? just buy one. im sure you won't be disappointed. You get to customise it more than a lot of brands out there if you want better wheels in the misplaced belief you are going to start smashing seconds off your times. Good thing also is you can spend the money you saved buying online on a bike fit since you never actually got chance to sit on one in the first place to see if it fits you before hand.