Which wheels should i buy from these options?

2»

Comments

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    They are all round, all low spoke count all very similar. Ignore the marketing especialy campagnolo's which use terms like reactivity which is term used in chemitry I would rather any wheel not be reactive.

Buy the ones that are cheapest or the ones you like the look for the most.
    Well, nearly 200g weight difference is not to be completely sneezed at...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    neeb wrote:
    They are all round, all low spoke count all very similar. Ignore the marketing especialy campagnolo's which use terms like reactivity which is term used in chemitry I would rather any wheel not be reactive.

Nope, Rider + Bike = ~100kg compared to ~99.8 kg. Compelling argument :)
  • Look guys it just vanity! We all love our bikes and if we fell good about spending copius cash on wheels we dont need then so what. Plenty smokers and bevvy merchants who waste their hard earned and make their way to an early grave.

A good bike is a great investment in health !

Fulrum Quattro, cheaper and easy on the eye. they look fantastic on my Roubaix :D
    Specialized Roubaix Elite Summer Stead
    Specialized Allez Sport Winter hack
    Specialized Tricross Sport Off Road / Trainer
  • Bobbinogs
    Sandy muir wrote:
    Look guys it just vanity! ...

Fulrum Quattro, cheaper and easy on the eye. they look fantastic on my Roubaix :D

Common sense at last. Quattros it is then :)
  • neeb
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    neeb wrote:

Who said the OP was obese??

If you are in half-decent condition you will notice 200g difference in wheel weight in the way the bike rides. 100g, possibly not, but 200g yes.
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    neeb wrote:

love it. Peoples sense of perspective can be somewhat skewed. why focus on the big picture when you can worry over the minutiae? I bet those 200g are in the rims though! :mrgreen:
  • neeb

love it. Peoples sense of perspective can be somewhat skewed. why focus on the big picture when you can worry over the minutiae? I bet those 200g are in the rims though! :mrgreen:
    If the big picture is as broad as it's being painted here, why worry at all? All these wheels are round, as has been pointed out. But if you're wanting the best value ones, it's the zondas. If you're wanting the cheapest, it's the ones you already have.. :wink:
  • neeb wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    neeb wrote:

If you are in half-decent condition you will notice 200g difference in wheel weight in the way the bike rides. 100g, possibly not, but 200g yes.

To be fair I need to lose a decent amount of weight but adore my bike and want a pair of wheels that it deserves if that makes sense. The axis are horrible even compared to my mavic aksiums on my boardman team carbon and my fulcrum racing 7's that are on my felt z95.

Yes I should go further, yes I should be lighter. Both will come ASAP trust me, I can go further but time is my biggest issue hence I tend to do lots of shorter rides and ride hard whilst doing them. I am getting there after 10 years of zero exercise and weight gain. I did 7 miles in 17 minutes the other day which for me is very good (sure plenty of people will laugh at that) but I'm trying and love the sport. Surely the more the merrier and who cares about money when it's mine?!

Just wanted advice from people with more knowledge than me that was all. I accept my weight should be down drastically and I'm on the case
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • Bobbinogs
    Bloke, I think we are all saying splash the cash...just buy something that makes you smile so that you won't be disappointed because shooting for performance benefits is a bit like chasing the rainbow (and we all know what what is like, eh Joaquim).
  • neeb
    Go for it! You will actually notice good wheels more on short fast rides than on longer slower rides, especially if it's at all rolling. 7 miles in 17 minutes is very good going by the way, nobody is going to be laughing at that! And if you are doing regular 30 mile rides at a good effort you will be getting more out of it in terms of fitness than people who poodle along for twice that distance.

Buying nice stuff tends to make you ride more, which is reason enough in itself. And the better the upgrade the more likely you are to actually notice the difference.. :)
  • neeb wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    neeb wrote:

To be fair I need to lose a decent amount of weight but adore my bike and want a pair of wheels that it deserves if that makes sense. The axis are horrible even compared to my mavic aksiums on my boardman team carbon and my fulcrum racing 7's that are on my felt z95.

Yes I should go further, yes I should be lighter. Both will come ASAP trust me, I can go further but time is my biggest issue hence I tend to do lots of shorter rides and ride hard whilst doing them. I am getting there after 10 years of zero exercise and weight gain. I did 7 miles in 17 minutes the other day which for me is very good (sure plenty of people will laugh at that) but I'm trying and love the sport. Surely the more the merrier and who cares about money when it's mine?!

Just wanted advice from people with more knowledge than me that was all. I accept my weight should be down drastically and I'm on the case

There is nothing wrong with wanting something nice for your bike if it helps motivate you to ride more. I think what people are saying is just don't expect miracles performance wise. 7 miles in 17 minutes is far from shabby, no one laughing here. To put it in perspective I ride with someone who is 3 stone heavier than I am riding a Defy with R500 wheels. Because he trains more than I do he's still quicker, apart from up hills :D
  • Sorry about the rubbish quoting, not sure what happened there?
  • neeb
    Sorry about the rubbish quoting, not sure what happened there?
    Probably missed out a "close quote" ( [/quote] ) somewhere. You know you can edit the post even after it is posted? Fiddle around with the quote thingies and keep hitting "preview" until it looks right.. :)
  • Edited... is it right now?
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    200g difference is only noticeable if the difference in weight in the rims. If it is in the hubs it is not noticable.
    So decidig on a wheel buy total wheel weight alone will get you nowwhere you have to know the rim weight, hubs weight and spoke/nipple weight. We know none of those things.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Edited... is it right now?

Yep, thanks for being my editor :lol:
  • neeb
    200g difference is only noticeable if the difference in weight in the rims. If it is in the hubs it is not noticable.
    So decidig on a wheel buy total wheel weight alone will get you nowwhere you have to know the rim weight, hubs weight and spoke/nipple weight. We know none of those things.
    Agreed, but as the rim depth of the quattros is 35mm and the Zondas have 26mm front and 30mm rear, I'd be prepared to bet that the majority of that extra weight is in the rims. The aero benefit of the slightly wider rims will be almost undetectable, while there will be slightly more trouble from crosswinds at the front.

Zondas are a light, all-round, high quality wheel that consistently test very stiff in Tour magazine. It's basically a version of the high-end Eurus and Shamal with steel spokes instead of alloy.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I was in a similar position last year. In the end up i went with the Quattros purely on their looks, I could have bought a set of Elites at nealy 300g lighter (price wasnt really an issue) but loved the look of the quattros. The shimano hub quattros are 1810g (campag hub is 1710g) the wheels they replaced (Pro R35's) were 1920g so 110g difference but the quattros rolled much freer and accelerated quicker and in my opinion allowed me to climb easier too. Now maybe thats all a placebo effect and there is no real world difference but to me there is but more importantly they look bloody fantastic on my bike.
  • neeb
    As Fulcrum are just Campagnolo wheels with different labels and slightly different spoke angles, I was curious what the equivalent of the Quattros were in the Campagnolo line - seems like the newer (35mm) Sciroccos are the same wheel (except with the G3 spoke pattern of course).

You can get the Campagnolo version for £170 - http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a12064 ... cgodTXoAyA

Looks like you pay a premium for the Shimano version though, the cheapest deals are around £200.

Of course if you are running 11sp you could just get the Campagnolo version and use a Campagnolo cassette.
  • MugenSi wrote:
    I was in a similar position last year. In the end up i went with the Quattros purely on their looks, bloody fantastic on my bike.

Absolutely, another satisfied customer. I almost bought the Mavic cosmic elite but thought the Quattro with the 35mm deep rim was asthetically more pleasing. :D
    Specialized Roubaix Elite Summer Stead
    Specialized Allez Sport Winter hack
    Specialized Tricross Sport Off Road / Trainer