Weight at 5'8 ?

Donkeywings
Donkeywings Posts: 79
Could I ask anyone of 5'8 who considers themselves lean (or at least not fat) what weight they are?
Trek Madone 3.1 Carbon 2012 Road
Sunn Kern S1 2011 MTB
"Mellow Johnny's" water bottle from Lance's shop in Austin

Comments

• dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    60-65kg would be an achievable weight.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • I'm 5ft 7 at 59kg %15 body fat
    I do science, sometimes.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    5'8" - reasonably lean (could try harder though) - 59kg
  • RChung
    RChung Posts: 163
    tdf06-bmi.png
  • There was a recent thread on the General section which suggest an ideal climbing weight of 2lbs/inch of height.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12956494&hilit=climbing+weight

The post by amaferanga is probably the most relevant...

"W/kg counts, not pounds/inch"
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Could I ask anyone of 5'8 who considers themselves lean (or at least not fat) what weight they are?

Does weight in relation height really mean anything if you don't take build into account?
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.

• Does weight in relation height really mean anything if you don't take build into account?

The usual stories of rugby players being told by doctors they have to lose weight because they're going purely off BMI indexes and not % body fat.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    There was a recent thread on the General section which suggest an ideal climbing weight of 2lbs/inch of height.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12956494&hilit=climbing+weight

The post by amaferanga is probably the most relevant...

"W/kg counts, not pounds/inch"

Going by the lbs's rule at 6ft7 I should weight just over 11 stone which is medically dangerous :shock:

In general be very careful about weight v performance guides as it does depend on alot of factors not directly related to your weight.
  • Ignore weight to height scales and use body fat as a guide. Much better as muscle is heavier than fat and more accurate.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Ignore weight to height scales and use body fat as a guide. Much better as muscle is heavier than fat and more accurate.

Actually it's not either/or but both. The only way to accurately monitor body fat% is in the lab. Scales which do this are ok but not accurate/consistent enough to be used as your only measure. (based on experience of using them for last 4 years).
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Thanks for the input.
    I'm just interested for guidelines for myself. I have dropped just over 2.5 stone over a year - mostly due to alcohol reduction, quite a lot of cycling last season, and not eating refined carbs/sugar any more. At 13st 8lbs I was never *that* overweight - certainly everyone said I wasn't - so at 11st now, I thought I'd be pretty lean. But I'm not - nowhere near. Fat is currently at 21% (Inbody 710 analysis) and has totally gone from face, arms legs, but sits around belly/chest.

People seem to think I am "too thin" now as it is (I look a lot different to this time last year) but I'd really like to get to around 15% - that would be a drop of at least another 10lbs ... and near 10 stone is not something I've been for over 20 years.

I know the answer is to increase the muscle-to-fat ratio rather than dropping weight, but that's proving easier said than done.
    Sunn Kern S1 2011 MTB
  • We were discussing celebrities who've lost weight and now look ill. Chris Moyles and Dave Myers come to mind, they look quite gaunt and it's not a good look! Wereas others can lose weight and look great as a result.

I'm losing it slowly, although managed 3lb off last week. My big problem is sugar, if I could give up sugar, especially sweets, I'd do a lot better!
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Whatever your eating habits are now seem to be working on the weight reduction, IMO you need to be targetting the stomach/chest area where you say the fat is sitting and specific excersises are what you need for this.
    More weight loss may not necessarily be the best way to reduce body fat, you may have already reached your body's 'natural' weight and this as others have said depends on body shape etc.
  • 5'7 and 62.8kg here. Expect weight to drop further as training intensifies and racing begins in March but I don't feasibly think I'll ever get down to below 60kg. I was around 73kg when I got married three years ago and up until a year ago weight loss was all down to training and the rest has come off as I have tried to improve my diet over the last 12-13months (mainly alcohol and take away reduction).
  • 5'7 and 62.8kg here.

Well done! 5'6" for me and I started at 88kg, down to 77kg now and my eventual target is 70kg, doubt I'd ever get to the low 60s!
  • Thanks Mark. It's been a lot of effort to get there but really worth it. Running, riding and swimming better than ever these days. Current training schedule is (when work allows it):

Mornings:
    Mon - Swim (1500m - 1mile)
    Tue - 45min spin class
    Wed - Weights session at gym
    Thu - 45min circuits class
    Fri - Swim (1500m - 1mile)

Evenings -
    2 x long run (10k plus)
    1 x short run (5-8k)
    1 x road ride

Weekends -
    1 x long ride (road or MTB)

When lakes open, 1 of the long runs will be replaced by an open water swim session.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I'm 5ft 9, 64 kilos. I can easily drop to 62 kilos. I'm lean but not super skinny (although my non cycling friends think I am super skinny!)
    Insert bike here:
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Ignore weight to height scales and use body fat as a guide. Much better as muscle is heavier than fat and more accurate.
    1kg of muscle is heavier than 1kg fat?
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Kajjal wrote:

Going by the lbs's rule at 6ft7 I should weight just over 11 stone which is medically dangerous :shock:

In general be very careful about weight v performance guides as it does depend on alot of factors not directly related to your weight.

Yes I see what you are saying.... :shock:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/healthy-living/Pages/height-weight-chart.aspx

This chart puts me in the Healthy weight category. Albeit on the lighter side at 66kg/6ft
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    It does depend on build and type of riding I would say.

Cavendish is a good example in my opinion, based on his height I would expect him to be 60kg and a climbing. 10kg more and he is a sprinter.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • i am 5'8 and 64kgs, feel like i could lose a few kgs but it would require me to stick to quite a strict diet and i do not have the motivation to do it. I am fairly skinny so it would just be about getting much more lean. Anyone who is my height and much lighter must be super skinny!
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    diamonddog wrote:
    IMO you need to be targetting the stomach/chest area where you say the fat is sitting and specific excersises are what you need for this.
    More weight loss may not necessarily be the best way to reduce body fat, you may have already reached your body's 'natural' weight and this as others have said depends on body shape etc.

You cannot spot reduce fat. Exercising specific muscles does not burn fat in certain areas.

OP, the more weight you loose, the more you'll realise you have plenty more to loose, Don't let fat people tell you you're too thin.

Also, drastic celebrity weight loss combined with no actual building of muscle is why ppl look like sh*t. If you train like an athlete you'll look like an athlete.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • dw300 wrote:
    You cannot spot reduce fat. Exercising specific muscles does not burn fat in certain areas.

Yup - that much I knew.

Interesting to see so many people down towards the 10 stone mark - it's probably where I will need to be, but not so worried now I'll end up looking like a POW. I've got 3 85 - 100 mile sportives lined up for this year already, so training for those will probably change my shape a bit more :-)
    Sunn Kern S1 2011 MTB
  • I'm 5'8'' and weigh 65kg. I was down to 63kg last summer when I was doing a lot more miles. I don't really watch what I eat and reckon with a more strict intake I'd easily get down to the lower 60s....but I like crisps/sweets too much and I'm not that interested in having my optimum power:weight. I don't race.
  • I'm 6'1" and weight 64kgs. I never thought I could get below 70kgs my weight used to always sit around the 75 KG mark.

I then started eating healthy cut out chocolate, crisps, biscuits and fizzy drinks. I couldn't believe how quickly the weight dropped off. I still eat lots but it's mostly all healthy stuff.

I feel a lot fitter at this weight. My ideal weight would be 63KG to give me a 4.8 watts to KG ratio at threshold. I don't know if that weights achievable though as I still like cake and ice cream a few times a week.
  • Danny87
    Danny87 Posts: 121
    I'm 5'8, don't have a special diet or anything just ride my bike no gym work etc.

My weight varies a little bit over the year. I'd say in deepest depths of winter I'm 61kg and then when at my fittest or in the summer months I'm down to somewhere between 59.5kg and just under 60kg. This winter though I seemed to of stayed at or just under 61kg .
  • There are a lot of very light people on this thread! 65kg should be doable.
    It depends a lot on your build though. At 6'0 I'll struggle to get below 75kg, whereas other here talk about eating cake frequently but are 10kgs lighter than me - no cake here :(
  • There are a lot of very light people on this thread! 65kg should be doable.
    It depends a lot on your build though. At 6'0 I'll struggle to get below 75kg, whereas other here talk about eating cake frequently but are 10kgs lighter than me - no cake here :(

My boss has a terrible diet, drinks 5-6 pints of beer every night, has takeaways 3 times a week and he's at McDonalds most lunchtimes, and yet he's skinny as a rake :(
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    177cm and 58kg, think I'm probably around 6-9% bodyfat. Ideally want another 6kg on, but adding functional weight a'int easy! So if I were 5'8" i'd be 55-56kg?..
  • I bet you can out climb the entire peloton ;)