do you dry?

2»

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Guess what? lolingmotocat is talking about motorbikes again.... Whodathunkit?

Guess what, Chunkers is being a knob again. Whodathunkit? I was answering someone else's post. If you don't like that, don't read it, muppet. Maybe I should cry like you too, because someone mentioned cars, or tractors...
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    morepower wrote:
    You guys spend waaaay too much effort thinking about this. Do you dry your car after it's rained?

Possibly... But then I dont usually drive the car through mud and sand. So cleaning and drying off the bike fully makes sure you have got all of the abrasive mud and sand out of every bit of the bike..

I know guys who do the Weston Beach race each year (motor X bikes) and sell the bike after they have done the race because the sand has got everywhere and it would not last them another seasons use.

I dont think the moving parts of a motor bike and the moving parts of a bike are comparable nor are the forces involved in a motocross race vs a little pedal about the hills. I rinse my bike off and dry it a bit if I am bringing it into the house, generally if I can leave it out to dry or in a car/shed style thing I will. If I am very enthusiastic, have time and can find the can I will spray a little wd40 on the chain to drive out the water. But that is a rarety. Rinsing dirt off often is missed in the pursuit of a sofa and a shower.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Yep dry & lube although sometimes not straight after a ride!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • BigMitch41 wrote:
    Yep dry & lube although sometimes not straight after a ride!

Hi Chris

Just looking at your blog wow I'm impressed, well done to you.
  • Kowalski675
    I dont think the moving parts of a motor bike and the moving parts of a bike are comparable

They still rust and corrode the same when neglected.
  • when done with hose, high pressure air from the tool compressor in the garage to dry it and lube everything that moves accordingly
  • I clean mine with low pressure steam in work, the bike is used for a minimum of 15 miles offroad 3 times a week to commute down muddy bridleways and bigger rides at trail centers etc, it is still on all its original bearings, cassette and chainrings.
    The steam brings the drive chain up like new and once dry I relube it.
    I just keep the steam away from any seals. Im sure someone will be along to flame me in a minute but it seems kinder than the jetwash was to my last bike as it doesnt force crap into the chain and turn into a grinding paste it just melts all the crap of the drive chain. .
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Jetwashing is the work of satan, and WD40 his semen.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    morepower wrote:
    Possibly... But then I dont usually drive the car through mud and sand.

Do you just drive your car around your living room in the winter?
    cooldad wrote:
    Jetwashing is the work of satan, and WD40 his semen.

Dang! I knew the taste reminded me of something!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • I dont think the moving parts of a motor bike and the moving parts of a bike are comparable nor are the forces involved in a motocross race vs a little pedal about the hills. I rinse my bike off and dry it a bit if I am bringing it into the house, generally if I can leave it out to dry or in a car/shed style thing I will. If I am very enthusiastic, have time and can find the can I will spray a little wd40 on the chain to drive out the water. But that is a rarety. Rinsing dirt off often is missed in the pursuit of a sofa and a shower.

The parts on our bikes are much more delicate and living in an area where sand is common I have had my fair share of replacing worn out parts when I first started riding.

OK I may clean my bike more thoroughly than most but then as I used to race motorcycles at a fairly high level I took bike prep seriously and I cannot think of a time when I was stuck by any bike part failure out on a ride.. I have seen or help fix many broken chains (the most common failure locally) and seen many riders having new rear mechs due to being worn out... I keep my bike spotless if I can yet have no problem getting it covered in mud and dirt axle deep. If the bike is getting wear and tear at least I find it or know it is happening and sort it out before it becomes a problem..

I dont clean the bike the moment I get back... But it I do clean it fully before I go out again..
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I sometimes dry it on the curtains after a quick ride.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Chap in our club puts his bike in a stand, washes it down then dries it with a 2stroke leaf blower before lubing it up 8)
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I sometimes dry it on the curtains after a quick ride.

http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=rimshot
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Kowalski675
    natrix wrote:
    Chap in our club puts his bike in a stand, washes it down then dries it with a 2stroke leaf blower before lubing it up 8)

I use an electric leaf blower (the big green magic bike drier). Works brilliantly for getting water out of nooks and crannies.
  • iwilldoit wrote:
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Yep dry & lube although sometimes not straight after a ride!

Hi Chris

Just looking at your blog wow I'm impressed, well done to you.

Thanks mate, a dream come true :)
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube