do you dry?

jfry94
jfry94 Posts: 392
edited February 2014 in MTB general
I've just got back from a muddy ride and given the Jekyll a rinse down. Do you guys dry your bike or leave it naturaly to dry.
2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
2007 Carrera Kraken

Comments

• JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    Wipe off the stanchions, lube the chain, leave the rest
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Indeed, lube the stanchions too
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    Cqc wrote:

Oh yes, very true, fork juice is definitely worth having, pulls all the rubbish out the seals and can save internal damage you. Reminds me I need to buy some more :P
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    Great cheers guys thats what I did. I just need to get some fork juice
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    If I'm giving it a proper wash, I'll dry it too as otherwise you get horrible looking water marks all over it. Plus clean, dry and lube chain etc etc
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • JMcP92 wrote:
    Cqc wrote:

Oh yes, very true, fork juice is definitely worth having, pulls all the rubbish out the seals and can save internal damage you. Reminds me I need to buy some more :P

IMHO I would never use fork juice.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Any silicone based lubricant is good on the stanchions.
    A film of fork oil can be used but I don't like it because dirt sticks to the oil.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Bounce it after you wash it, helps get water out of areas you don't want it to reside. Then, as others have said, wipe down forks then lube drivetrain/stanchions.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Cookeh wrote:
    Bounce it after you wash it, helps get water out of areas you don't want it to reside.

I use a big green magic bike drier.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Any silicone based lubricant is good on the stanchions.
    A film of fork oil can be used but I don't like it because dirt sticks to the oil.

i just wipe the oil off the stanchion and seal once i'm done
  • Any silicone based lubricant is good on the stanchions.

It's not. The silicone based lubricant will work its way past the upper seal and into the foam ring. Contaminating the suspension lube that's meant to be in that.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Cookeh wrote:
    Bounce it after you wash it, helps get water out of areas you don't want it to reside.
    :lol: That's what i do too...

Then if you have an SB66 leave it upside down to dry so the water doesn't sit and rot those 'kin expensive bearings... :roll:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Does water not gather by your star nut through the streerer tube if its upside down?
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    After cleaning does any one bother with stuff like disc brake cleaner ?

I bought some as it was on offer in lbs but not impressed with it.

Do you guys go to the lengths of even taking off the cassette and cleaning after every few rides/months ?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No and no.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hi All

As this is all new to me I don't know if what I do is any good or not, after I have washed my bike I go over it with the air line trying to make sure I'm not blowing water into components and blow the water off the bike and if it's dry weather ( don't know if you remember that) leave it out side for a while and then use something like GT85 around the mechs and gear changers, then lube the chain etc a day or so after.

Would be interested to know if I'm doing this right or not?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    You guys spend waaaay too much effort thinking about this. Do you dry your car after it's rained?
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    iwilldoit wrote:
    Hi All

As this is all new to me I don't know if what I do is any good or not, after I have washed my bike I go over it with the air line trying to make sure I'm not blowing water into components and blow the water off the bike and if it's dry weather ( don't know if you remember that) leave it out side for a while and then use something like GT85 around the mechs and gear changers, then lube the chain etc a day or so after.

Would be interested to know if I'm doing this right or not?

Sounds reasonable to me. I personally wouldn't bother with the air line (not that its a bad idea), but then Im a lazy sod and always rather pressed for time.
  • Soggz
    Soggz Posts: 221
    Hose all the crap off,give it a wipe down,then I use a small bench compressor and blow all the crap out of all the little recesses,chain,brakes,jockey wheels,gear changers,e.t.c,then just lube it all up.Runs like brand new after.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You guys spend waaaay too much effort thinking about this. Do you dry your car after it's rained?
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • You guys spend waaaay too much effort thinking about this. Do you dry your car after it's rained?

Possibly... But then I dont usually drive the car through mud and sand. So cleaning and drying off the bike fully makes sure you have got all of the abrasive mud and sand out of every bit of the bike..

I know guys who do the Weston Beach race each year (motor X bikes) and sell the bike after they have done the race because the sand has got everywhere and it would not last them another seasons use.
  • Kowalski675
    morepower wrote:
    I know guys who do the Weston Beach race each year (motor X bikes) and sell the bike after they have done the race because the sand has got everywhere and it would not last them another seasons use.

Yup, there's always a glut of knackered crossers for sale after Weston - it destroys them (the salt water, as much as the sand - both together does more damage than kicking the bike over and setting it on fire...).
  • morepower wrote:

Yup, there's always a glut of knackered crossers for sale after Weston - it destroys them (the salt water, as much as the sand - both together does more damage than kicking the bike over and setting it on fire...).

Seen that happen too..... haha....
  • Kowalski675
    After half a lap that's what all but the elite level riders are wanting to do :lol:
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    cooldad wrote:
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No but after washing the car I shammy it to remove the standing water to avoid leaving water marks and damaging the paint. (Hard water area)

Either that or take it for a blast up the Dual Carriageway* at about 90mph to blow dry :D

*Dual Carriageway is a private road exempt of Road Traffic law, Mr Police Officer. :)
    It's been a while...
  • bennett_346
    Graydawg wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No but after washing the car I shammy it to remove the standing water to avoid leaving water marks and damaging the paint. (Hard water area)

Either that or take it for a blast up the Dual Carriageway* at about 90mph to blow dry :D

*Dual Carriageway is a private road exempt of Road Traffic law, Mr Police Officer. :)
    They have dual carriageways in Norfolk?
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    Yeah man, though to be fair the inside lane is usually occupied by the tractors...
    It's been a while...
  • Guess what? lolingmotocat is talking about motorbikes again.... Whodathunkit?
  • bennett_346
    Guess what? lolingmotocat is talking about motorbikes again.... Whodathunkit?
    We all know one Juan Carr who never stops talking about motorbikes. Unfortunately I know two.
  • bennett_346
    Graydawg wrote:
    Yeah man, though to be fair the inside lane is usually occupied by the tractors...
    Ah, i thought the tractors were up their sisters inside lanes.