Tour of Qatar *SPOILERS*

Comments

• 56.8km/h average speed. Even with a tail wind that is impressive.
  • ClaudeH wrote:
    56.8km/h average speed. Even with a tail wind that is impressive.

Terpstra's:
    tumblr_n0vxauLlCr1qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ^Glad you posted that Frenchie I was going to.

Apparently the first hour's average speed was 61kph. :shock:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    ^Glad you posted that Frenchie I was going to.

Apparently the first hour's average speed was 61kph. :shock:

Awesome......
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Blimey! Wait 'till the tin foil hat brigade get hold of that stat!
  • Paul 8v wrote:

Motors. Got to be motors.

As for the Tour of Qatar more generally, I was so excited for this race as I love me some echelons and I've been telling all and sundry that a flat race in a desert can be brilliant and it shouldn't just be seen as one for the hardcore/weirdo (delete as appropriate) fans. However, as happy as I am for Boonen's success and what it portends for the upcoming classics season, I feel thoroughly let down by the coverage. It was really good a few years ago. Now it is just pants. It is like getting all excited about Christmas and finding a lump of coal in your stocking :cry:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Paul 8v wrote:

Motors. Got to be motors.

As for the Tour of Qatar more generally, I was so excited for this race as I love me some echelons and I've been telling all and sundry that a flat race in a desert can be brilliant and it shouldn't just be seen as one for the hardcore/weirdo (delete as appropriate) fans. However, as happy as I am for Boonen's success and what it portends for the upcoming classics season, I feel thoroughly let down by the coverage. It was really good a few years ago. Now it is just pants. It is like getting all excited about Christmas and finding a lump of coal in your stocking :cry:

Yeah, it isn't the same watching it on a dodgy YouTube clip hours after the event when you have inevitably found out the stage winner already! Not long till the next Eurosport race though
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Uk cycling expert:

Loving the shallots at Le Tour de Qatar! In the wind, the peleton breaks up like a giant onion, into small 'shallots'. Cycling at its best!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Photo-600x398.jpg

Good to see Sam Bennett getting involved at the business end....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • SPTDW815-1.jpg

SPTDW803-2.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Unfortunately the width of the roads out there seems to mean the echelons aren't as decisive - that picture suggests the whole bunch is in one echelon!
  • Pross wrote:
    Unfortunately the width of the roads out there seems to mean the echelons aren't as decisive - that picture suggests the whole bunch is in one echelon!

Uh-uh, cant take that as standard. 70 riders got caught out to the extent of losing 10+ mins on the first stage
  • These S-works with this OPQS colour splash is amazing:
    2014021250_QATAR%20ETAPE%204_8.jpg

This kit has a bit too much white for me but the stripes work really well on Greipel's huge physique:
    20140212182_QATAR%20ETAPE%204_30.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    It must be windy if even the cars are forming echelons!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Tom Dean wrote:
    It must be windy if even the cars are forming echelons!

Genuinely starting to think that the helicopter photogropher radios them all to do it as it makes a better photo...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    RichN95 wrote:
    Stannard failed it get into that skinsuit. He ended up using one of Eisel's

Stannard normally looks relatively chunky - looks really pretty small there, shows again how thin and small most pros are.
  • andyrr wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Stannard failed it get into that skinsuit. He ended up using one of Eisel's

Stannard normally looks relatively chunky - looks really pretty small there, shows again how thin and small most pros are.

I commented on the Mallorca thread about how guys like EBH is looking leaner than I've seen him for a good while - he almost looks more climber lean rather than his chunky classics build. Even Wiggins - who's still a few kgs off his Tour weight apparently - is looking skiiiiny.

The one who always gets me is Dave Millar when I see him at a race. The ultimate beanpole.
  • Greipel with ease.
    Coverage commentary in 3 different languages.
    Any cycling being better than none.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Stage 5 - 1 Greipel 2 Kruopis 3 Bos 4 Bennati 5 Pelucchi 6 Roelandts 7 Bennet 8 Boonen 9 Terpstra 10 Viviani

Boonen's finished.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pleased with the win for the Gorilla
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    And Bennet still at the sharp end...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    RichN95 wrote:
    Stage 5 - 1 Greipel 2 Kruopis 3 Bos 4 Bennati 5 Pelucchi 6 Roelandts 7 Bennet 8 Boonen 9 Terpstra 10 Viviani

Boonen's finished.

GW win and not much else it is then....
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    RichN95 wrote:

Boonen's finished.

GW win and not much else it is then....
    Terpstra's going have to fall on his sword in the last stage.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Dont worry. Boonen will be better than ever.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Dont worry. Boonen will be better than ever.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Dont worry. Boonen will be better than ever.

I can't wait for the spring, it's shaping up to be a good one.
  • Well it's the last stage today. Terpstra with 17s over big Tom. Good showing by Stannard in 4th hopefully he'll be coming into form for the cobbled classics, still needs to make that leap to being a real contender there though.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Well it's the last stage today. Terpstra with 17s over big Tom.
    I'm sure Tommeke will be more than happy for OPQS to defend Terpstra's lead. Terpstra didnt get a single win last year, despite plenty if key work in big races for the team
  • 201402132_DSC_0343.jpg

12510954553_4fc3140f0c_c.jpg

12511295964_d6634c7cee_c.jpg

qatar_2014_5.jpg

2014021392_QATAR%20ETAPE%205_5.jpg

Impressive legs but please put a black modesty patch on that crotch area :shock:
    2014021374_QATAR%20ETAPE%205_2.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest