Winter Olympic Thread ***Spoilers***

13»

Comments

• Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Paulie W wrote:
    the snowboard cross racing is definitely worth its place, great entertainment

'If you want entertainment go and watch clowns'!

Your life must be so filled with joy?
    Olympics need to evolve, new younger, fresher sports. At least Snow cross isn't judged subjectively.
    As I said, best Olympic winter sport entertainment i've seen so far!

It's an old quote from a Stoke City manager when he was criticised for his team not being entertaining enough! At the time it triggered a whole debate about whether sport needed intrinsically to be entertaining. And yes of course it does - the problem with snowboard cross is that the course was so extreme it became a lottery as to whether the racers finished or not. Half of the racers got wiped out by someone else falling. Many of the best racers didnt get to the finals.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    happens a lot in sport tho' people getting boxed in in long distance running, qualify mid grid in F1 and risk a shunt at start, even in cycling in a sprint finish. Guess the trick is to qualify well and start fast and avoid the carnage behind you? Much prefer it to 6 judges giving their opinions on a dance or style marks in more established sports :wink:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,803
    Snowboard cross was great, I guess it's the winter equivalent of BMX at the summer games with so much carnage (short track skating is similar as well). I'm ashamed to admit I was late for work today as I couldn't drag myself away from the curling! :oops:
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Pross wrote:
    Snowboard cross was great, I guess it's the winter equivalent of BMX at the summer games with so much carnage (short track skating is similar as well). I'm ashamed to admit I was late for work today as I couldn't drag myself away from the curling! :oops:
    amazing last shot by brit skip, not what I expected him to play (that would have been play safe) :oops:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Pross
    Yep, that's the sort of thing it takes to win. Had they taken the safe option of one stone to tie the game they would almost certainly have lost in the tie break with the Norwegians having the last stone so it really was the only option.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,448
    Pross wrote:
    Yep, that's the sort of thing it takes to win. Had they taken the safe option of one stone to tie the game they would almost certainly have lost in the tie break with the Norwegians having the last stone so it really was the only option.
    I would have thought a coin toss would decide who had last stone in a tie break?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Pross
    seanoconn wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I would have thought a coin toss would decide who had last stone in a tie break?

Apparently not, it just continues on in sudden death as I understand it. I guess it is the advantage of winning the initial coin toss?
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Pross wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Apparently not, it just continues on in sudden death as I understand it. I guess it is the advantage of winning the initial coin toss?

The 'hammer' goes to whoever lost the last end rather than alternating so you could win the initial toss but your opponent could still have the hammer in sudden death.

I think maybe I've been watching too much curling...
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Missed that one... Interesting how every one has become a curling expert!
  • Mikey23
    Saw the highlights... That was some shot under pressure
  • Mikey23
    YYYESSS!!!
  • Women's janitorial services team wins Bronze. Nation goes nuts. Love it.

Men's janitorial services team assured at least Silver.

Grudge match hockey on now - Canada-US is dirtier hockey than US-Soviets. Familiarity breeds contempt and all that...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Mikey23
    Loving it!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,871
    http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000247629

Listen to the man - his team won 21 medals.
  • Love it, at half time in the men's curling final ,the GB Women's skip just gave the men an absolute pasting on their first half performance and stats. So nice to hear a realistic view.

The best the BBC commentators could do was to criticize the Canadian team the worse that GB did.

BBC has been rather poor during the olympics in terms of doing down the competition. The summer games was much better.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Cygnus
    Cygnus Posts: 1,879
    Elise Christie was robbed, the referee clearly had it in for her.