Winter Olympic Thread ***Spoilers***

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,660
edited February 2014 in The cake stop
Anyone into this?

Always fancied myself as a bit of a bumps skier!

Looks like the Dutch are a bit good at speed skating...(no surprise)

1901315_10153799311045611_1659122893_n.jpg
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    ddraver wrote:

Looks like the Dutch are a bit good at speed

FTFY
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    ddraver wrote:
    Anyone into this?

Always fancied myself as a bit of a bumps skier!

Looks like the Dutch are a bit good at speed skating...(no surprise)

1901315_10153799311045611_1659122893_n.jpg

National winter sport, and Heerenveen is the spiritual home of speed skating.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    The women snowboarders are amazing :D

Torah Bright anyone?

http://unofficialnetworks.com/torah-bri ... ts-128197/
  • A comment was made that one of the snowboarders were on crutches yesterday but now she's had a massive cortisone jab she's competing, hmmmm, bloody drug cheat. :wink:

The snowboard fraternity do seem to be a glamorous bunch.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Well done Jenny, first Team GB medal. And I'm loving the snowboarding commentary team, has been almost as weird and wonderful as TDF coverage...and they all cried at the end! This could be pretty watchable over the next two weeks, when is the Skeleton? :D
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Are those the dulcet tones of Mister Hugh Porter doing the commentary for the speed skating, I thought the Beeb had decided he was too old for commentary duties thesedays, hence his absence from any cycling related (whats left of it anyway) stuff on the beeb :?
  • ddraver
    20 minutes for the German Girls to pull off a massive upset!

Edit - Oh Mädchen Mädchen Mädchen :cry::cry::cry:
    - @ddraver
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    ddraver wrote:
    20 minutes for the German Girls to pull off a massive upset!

Edit - Oh Mädchen Mädchen Mädchen :cry::cry::cry:

:lol::):lol:
  • Luv2ride wrote:
    Well done Jenny, first Team GB medal. And I'm loving the snowboarding commentary team, has been almost as weird and wonderful as TDF coverage...and they all cried at the end! This could be pretty watchable over the next two weeks, when is the Skeleton? :D
    The commentators are idiots and I've never heard anything as poor before. High Porter is much better than these dolts.

When the remaining (much better) competitors fell they cheered their mis-fortune. Chemmy Alcott is a total waste of space and has never had a single result of note - but it helps to trade off your blond hair.

Over 300 people agree: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26116848

I think it's the ridiculous baggy clothing that I find annoying, and the constant 'hang loose' signs (thumb and pinky extended) and the non-stop use of cheesy cliches like "dropping in", "laying it down" and "sick". Is it urban or is it mountain sports? Please make up your mind.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    Absolute goons.

I am with you FransJackques, wtf is with the stupid tongue out hand signals at the camera?
  • ddraver
    grumpy-old-men-with-trophiessmall.png
    - @ddraver
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I think it's the ridiculous baggy clothing that I find annoying, and the constant 'hang loose' signs (thumb and pinky extended) and the non-stop use of cheesy cliches like "dropping in", "laying it down" and "sick". Is it urban or is it mountain sports? Please make up your mind.
    They have made up their mind. Snowboard people talk as they do. Simple. Dropping in, laying it down, hucking it, sick, et al are not cliches - they are how people in that world speak.

As for comentary bias - there was plenty - but the commentators were at least aware of it and almost apologetic at times about it - they even muted the mic when the guest commentator (Amy?) stood on her chair to start cheering simply because she was so stoked about her best mate winning a medal at the Olympics.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • ddraver
    I hope you guys never listen to Rob Warner - he will blow!your!mind!
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Chemmy Alcott is a total waste of space and has never had a single result of note - but it helps to trade off your blond hair.

Don't say bad things about Chemmy or I'll be paying you a visit! :x Who cares whether she's a good skier or not (besides, she's the best we've got by a country mile).

Totally agree on the freestyle stuff though. I quite enjoy watching it but it's embarrassing hearing people in their 30s and 40s using the term 'gnarly' in their commentary. It's even creeping into the downhill commentary!

Can someone explain to me why ski jumping uses style marks? I've never understood it as the logic for the event would be to have the person who jumps the furthest winning the event and having a good style gets rewarded as it helps you go further. I can see the point of the wind and gate adjustments but it seems like style gets rewarded twice in effect.

In general I love winter sports as long as there's no element of subjectiveness about the result.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Luv2ride wrote:
    The commentators are idiots and I've never heard anything as poor before. High Porter is much better than these dolts.

When the remaining (much better) competitors fell they cheered their mis-fortune. Chemmy Alcott is a total waste of space and has never had a single result of note - but it helps to trade off your blond hair.

You lack the swag, bro.
  • Style marks. With the embarassment at one figure skating Worlds where a French judge was bought off by the Ruskies, I'd vote for ANY sport with even a hint of judges scoring to be dropped from the OGs. Too open to subjectivity or abuse, and does not equal principles of higher, faster, stronger. etc.

Imagine if Froome completed the TdF course with the lowest aggregate time but was marked down by the judges for being the ugliest most awkward MFer on 2 wheels and, I dunno, someone stylish like Bugno or Cipollini won. Someone on some forum somewhere in the world might say what's the point of measuring the sport like that.

But this is how today's skiing moguls competition was run: Your time to ski the course is combined with points for the... umm... 'sick-air' that you..umm... 'lay down' or 'repraZent' over the 2 jumps. Curling OTOH has no style marks, but badly needs some.

(apologies to Roni size)
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I know feck all about the mogul stuff...but like all things that won't stop me posting!

Awesome. Never really watched it before but even I could tell the bloke who won just did an amazing run. Watching it in HD was marvellous, although Claire Balding's on the box and I don't think HD was invented with her in mind :)
  • Awe, come on. She is so sweet and professional. I really like her. She's upbeat yet reserved, slightly nationalistic but is rooting for all athletes. She is one person on this planet who really is in the right job, good on her.

The moguls guys must need new knees after a season. I do after a week skiing.

Most of them are former gymnasts and do a lot of training on trampolines to perfect the aireal moves.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    From the BBC website today. Quote from the snowboarding commentary team:
    "Riding switch is like writing left-handed while wearing a chip hat and being attacked by seagulls” :lol:
    Me and the kids were crying with laughter when we watched the coverage live, but riveted by the action at the same time. It was brilliant, really entertaining and I'm disappointed that so many people felt the need to complain. People need to lighten up and not take stuff so seriously :shock:
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • thomthom
    Let's be honest here. The only thing worth watching is the speed skating competition. Bloody brilliant that.

Especially the short track.

Rumour has it that it's one of the toughest sports out there endurance wise.
  • Pross
    ThomThom wrote:
    Let's be honest here. The only thing worth watching is the speed skating competition. Bloody brilliant that.

Prefer the classic speed skating, short track is a bit of a lottery. Supposedly very similar stamina wise to the pursuit. Whatever happened to Rebecca Romero taking it up in an attempt at an Olympic medal in a third sport?
  • thomthom
    I really would love to answer that but I have no idea who she is :D
  • Pross
    ThomThom wrote:
    I really would love to answer that but I have no idea who she is :D

Bloody foreigners. She won a silver at Olympic rowing and a gold in the pursuit as well as world titles in both. She retired from cycling when they dropped the pursuit from the Olympic programme and was looking for another sport. Speed skating was identified as being suited to her physiology.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Just heard Graham Bell on breakfast tv talking about athletes "risking their lives to bring back medals to Britain" wtf! It's not Helmand or some great humanitarian effort is it?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I liked the bit when I was watching the moguls and there was an English/French chap who has ended up skiing for France instead of the UK where he was born. Apparently "we need to invest more in mogul facilities if we are to keep the best young mogul skiers here"??!! Yepp, let's do that right now. Thankfully there are no other priorities around at the moment :)

BTW, curling. WTF!
  • Pross
    Ouch! That Canadian woman's crash in the slope style skiing just looked painful!!

Edit - she really does look in a bad way, didn't make the slope for her landing and bounced of a flat section. It looked like her helmet may have come off. Hope she's OK.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Speed cycling on Ice...
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Pross wrote:
    Ouch! That Canadian woman's crash in the slope style skiing just looked painful!!

Edit - she really does look in a bad way, didn't make the slope for her landing and bounced of a flat section. It looked like her helmet may have come off. Hope she's OK.
    yeah looked very nasty, fingers crossed
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • ThomThom wrote:

I think the cross country skiing beats the skating in terms of tough endurance (& better racing in my opinion) Their cardio capabilities are first rate.

As for the baggy trouser trick events, the definition of Mickey Mouse sports. And all way too friendly.
    The inclusion of some of these seems a bit desperate which should mean they can easily find room for cyclocross. Would also hopefully open the games up to more nations.

Whilst I'm quite a fan of Claire Boulding, Carolina Kluft (here in Sweden) is definately suited to HD.
  • ThomThom wrote:

Agree with that, lets face it we're just watching to see them crash spectacularly. And with Hugh Porter commentating, me and the other half spread bet on when the first time he mentions cycling will be. I think we got to about 17 seconds at the weekend!