Grand Prix 4 Season grief

2»

Comments

• damocles10 wrote:

In this case, I have used Rubino pros, a good choice as they serve me well and are well priced. Like I said, with all this wet weather they did wear out quicker than expected which is why I bought the GP 4 season - If I have a good experience with the GP's there is no reason why I won't buy more, provided I can source a better price.

The fact that contis are too tight for your rims would be enough to put me off altogether... I'd end up riding in fear of having to do repair at the side of the road, basically spoiling the all experience... yes, I am paranoid...
    I got rid of rims that were too tight for that very reason and I no longer ride German tyres also for that reason

I now only ride combinations of rims + tyres that I can fit with no need for tyre levers... that saves time and hassle...

German tyres... :?

I hear you....nothing worse than being stuck on the road side with such an issue.

The tyre was tight and I didn't know that before I made the purchase, but, with a slightly different technique and decent tools my initial issue was resolved, I never really looked into tyre installation before as it is usually a simple procedure, there my be a little fight with the darn thing but the tyre eventually goes on:)

With the help from this forum I have discovered a new way to put on and off a tricky tyre [ yeah, best not to be in that situation in the first place ] and it made lighter work of process I would have struggled with.

An ideal combination would be a no lever installation, but, sometimes that is not possible. Zipps do tend to go for the upper threshold size on their wheels.

Chris
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    As you probably know I do ride a lot of cobbles and the worst pneumatics for cobbles are Gatorskin, you might as well ride on your bare rims
    Don't know - don't ride Gatorskin ...
  • Slowbike wrote:
    As you probably know I do ride a lot of cobbles and the worst pneumatics for cobbles are Gatorskin, you might as well ride on your bare rims

I used to ride 20mm Michelin Race pros for racing, they were harsh but felt fast - if the harshness pays off then it's worth it :)
  • damocles10 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

I used to ride 20mm Michelin Race pros for racing, they were harsh but felt fast - if the harshness pays off then it's worth it :)

It only does on Tour de France quality roads... the reason PROs ride 27 mm tyres at Paris-Roubaix is not comfort... it's because they can keep the pressure lower, which allow them to go faster on the cobbles.
    Boonen uses 60-65 PSI...
    There are nice roads in the UK... I'd have no problem in riding 23 at 110 PSI in remote parts of the country, but around built up areas I am more than happy with 32 and 60 PSI... I don't think I am slower than guys on 23s... quite the opposite
    left the forum March 2023
  • UK [EDIT: south east] roads are shockingly bad at the moment.....London has been 50% resurfaced but still have issues ( cheap contractors ) outside of London [my experience] it's pot holes every where.

Chris
  • damocles10 wrote:
    UK [EDIT: south east] roads are shockingly bad at the moment.....London has been 50% resurfaced but still have issues ( cheap contractors ) outside of London [my experience] it's pot holes every where.

Chris

Yes, they are... hence carbon wheels and fancy tyres are totally inappropriate, outside those few good roads... I don't know why people still bother but I suspect what people do has nothing to do with being sensible...
  • Well, I guess we need to develop more hasty reflexes to avoid such dilemmas. It's all part of training.
  • damocles10 wrote:
    Well, I guess we need to develop more hasty reflexes to avoid such dilemmas. It's all part of training.

I normally don't have a choice... holes and traffic come as a package as one is the consequence of the other! If the hole or gap is wide and there is traffic you can't safely swerve around it... with those big bad boys I've got in the photo above I can suck up most road bumps that would wreck road tyres
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    3500 miles from 4 season's wow you are lucky I can't even get 1000 miles out of mine in wet which is when I used them before a piece of flint on the road holed them. Great tyres until they are holed then they are crap.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I do hear you....