RideLondon...missed out on the ballot...what are the options

123457»

Comments

• Exactly. Ride London has a massive publicity machine behind it, even more so with having the ballot to get in making it 'exclusive'. It generates it's own publicity through road closures too! Something which the likes of the 'Durham Big Ride' couldn't hope to manage!
  • Carbonator wrote:
    I'm off to Tesco to get something from their 'Finest' range (sound of door shutting) ;-)

I am trying to have a sensible discussion, but it seems you just want to talk for the sake or talking and keeping this thread alive.
    I don't want to be right... I am just happy with a discussion. None of the points you have risen this morning seem to make any sense at all to me...

Basically what you are saying is that "RL 100 is great because it's very popular" which is what they used to say about Paris Hilton... nobody was quite sure if there was any input or merit... but she was popular, hence a role model for some
    left the forum March 2023
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Personally, I will keep entering the ballot each year as I don't mind paying the normal entry price and I wouldn't have any extra costs as such. I would like to ride it once as having closed roads around areas I usually ride shuold be fun. I won't chase a silly expensive place though and will ride something else instead. Perpahs one of the East Surrey routes I have where there are plently of short, sharp knee busters and very few other cyclists. I am most looking forward to the Ditching Devil Audax though.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    RL100 is good because it is 100 miles of generally well surfaced closed roads, is reasonably accessible and was very well organised. I've no idea why it is so popular, nor why it is so directly targeted at beginners, nor why they want to associate an Olympic Legacy event with charity 'fundraising' by people who largely have no idea what they are doing, or why the opportunity is rare. To me that is a real waste of opportunity.

But riding in a group the wrong way around a roundabout (especially when the charity numpties are going the usual way...) or straight-lining the Embankment is well worth £48 and some hassle.

Paul
  • One objection I do have is those trying to cash in. I've just been shown a local event in Newcastle - Gateshead where they are asking for £75 to cycle 100km on open roads most of which I wouldn't want to cycle on for free never mind pay through the nose for.

I was going to link to it but I don't want to give the jokers publicity.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    name and shame...
  • ok then : http://www.bignorthcycle.org.uk/
    It's not obvious to tell from the map but apart from some in Gateshead which are ok, those are *not* good cycling roads, and at £75 for an open road ride it's crazy especially when you have the Etape Pennines locally which is over excellent closed roads and that's 'only' £63.

(Amusingly it seems it goes past the front door of my Mum's house!)
  • ok then : http://www.bignorthcycle.org.uk/
    It's not obvious to tell from the map but apart from some in Gateshead which are ok, those are *not* good cycling roads, and at £75 for an open road ride it's crazy especially when you have the Etape Pennines locally which is over excellent closed roads and that's 'only' £63.

(Amusingly it seems it goes past the front door of my Mum's house!)

And this is the "great north run" of cycling... except they couldn't use "great north" as it's a proprietary brand... I suppose... hence "big north"
    Sounds like a dispute between Kraft and Nestle over the name of a spreadable cheese
  • And this is the "great north run" of cycling... except they couldn't use "great north" as it's a proprietary brand... I suppose... hence "big north"
    Sounds like a dispute between Kraft and Nestle over the name of a spreadable cheese

There used to be a "Great North Ride" which was organised by the same company but that stopped in 2000.

These days there is the Great North Bike Ride - from Seahouses to Tynemouth which is a great event, and not associated with the Great North Run.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Getting back to the OP's original question, did anyone win one of the V.I.P. places in the competition they emailed out a couple of weeks ago?

Wife just got an email saying she has won :P
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Carbonator wrote:
    Getting back to the OP's original question, did anyone win one of the V.I.P. places in the competition they emailed out a couple of weeks ago?

Wife just got an email saying she has won :P

Jesus, this thread is like one of those turds that you just can't flush! :wink:
    Had we not agreed to use the sticky thread in the rides/sportives section for all things RL100?
  • When I read a Carbonator post, I always envisage Martin Prince from the Simpsons

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    And this is the "great north run" of cycling... except they couldn't use "great north" as it's a proprietary brand... I suppose... hence "big north"

Really?! Somebody needs to tell the road that it is in danger of getting prosecuted! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Anonymous

Jesus, this thread is like one of those turds that you just can't flush! :wink:
    Had we not agreed to use the sticky thread in the rides/sportives section for all things RL100?

Do not remember agreeing to that.

Why do you either just not look at RL threads if you do not like them, or just abuse your mod powers and delete it/them.

I think a televised weekend of cycling in the capital warrants more than the touring and organised rides section personally but hey ho.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Carbonator wrote:
    I think a televised weekend of cycling in the capital warrants more than the touring and organised rides section personally but hey ho.

I expect an audience second only to the broadcast of the first landing on the moon, such is the expectation... but I do appreciate your enthusiasm for the dullest race in the UCI calendar... :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Carbonator wrote:

........... but will stick to the touring section if it keeps everyone happy and everyone else is happy for that ;-)

I just wondered if anyone else had won a competition place and felt it was best suited and more viewed on this thread.

NP if bikeradar is anti RideLondon. Seems pretty quite around here these days anyway and I am happy to just enjoy the event for what it is.

Im off to catch up on The Simpsons and In the Night Garden now (sound of door shutting and very loud Simpsons intro music).
  • ugo.santalucia
    Carbonator wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

........... but will stick to the touring section if it keeps everyone happy and everyone else is happy for that ;-)

I just wondered if anyone else had won a competition place and felt it was best suited and more viewed on this thread.

NP if bikeradar is anti RideLondon. Seems pretty quite around here these days anyway and I am happy to just enjoy the event for what it is.

Im off to catch up on The Simpsons and In the Night Garden now (sound of door shutting and very loud Simpsons intro music).
    It's not about being anti... there is specific thread in the appropriate section, which has been granted the "sticky" status, which means it will stay up there even if nobody posts... so we are aware it is a topic of interest to many... now that the registration saga is over, there is no need to have more than one thread about it though... it's just confusing
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Carbonator wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

It's not about being anti... there is specific thread in the appropriate section, which has been granted the "sticky" status, which means it will stay up there even if nobody posts... so we are aware it is a topic of interest to many... now that the registration saga is over, there is no need to have more than one thread about it though... it's just confusing

But you keep biting !!!