RideLondon...missed out on the ballot...what are the options

Comments

• Carbonator wrote:
    This is a very slim chance but didn't a guy last year get a place because they used his photo on the 'congratulations' magazine?

He did, depends if the OP is featured on the cover of the magazine?
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Ride London is iconic and it is not really comparable to other events.

Iconic? After only one event? What adjective should we use for the Fred Whitton Challenge then?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Carbonator wrote:

Nonsense, another just because it's in London it's more important than anything else attitude.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited February 2014
    Carbonator wrote:

Iconic? After only one event? What adjective should we use for the Fred Whitton Challenge then?

Well just go and do the Fred Whitton then, simples.

One year seems to have got it noticed and aspired to/sought after lol
  • Anonymous
    Carbonator wrote:

Nonsense, another just because it's in London it's more important than anything else attitude.

I did not say more important, but it seems a bigger deal to host in the capital to me.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    No, it's not iconic. The only people who care much about it I suspect are mostly locals. You'd have to be a bit soft in the head to travel a long way for it surely? Unless you had free accommodation anyway. I can see some appeal in the riding through the centre of London bit but, outside the centre, London is a horrible sprawling dump that takes ages to get through. A bit of the city centre and a mild hill with a couple of hairpins isn't really iconic.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Carbonator wrote:

Really? :roll: I'm from the North too, and used to have this attitude. It isn't just in London, it goes through some beautiful parts of the country. Yeah, it is posh Surrey and posh suberbs, but still beautiful. It is a unique event, and I would say already iconic after only one year.

Have all you knockers actually done it? You'd understand if you had.

And I will repeat it doesn't cost hundreds of pounds, most people who sponsored me last year sponsored me for a fiver or a tenner. I got 50 quid from work, and a very rich friend of mine also splashed out 50 quid. It cost me 50 to enter plus travel expenses (3 hours there and back in the car).
  • DaveP1 wrote:
    Really? :roll: I'm from the North too, and used to have this attitude. It isn't just in London, it goes through some beautiful parts of the country. Yeah, it is posh Surrey and posh suberbs, but still beautiful.

The bit around Leith hill is pretty... the rest is forgettable... I live and ride there and I can safely say it's the worst place I've ever lived, cycling wise... terrible road surface, overbuilt, overcrowded and very limited choice of roads which are vaguely safe to ride on
  • Anonymous
    I did not feel unsafe when I road on them last year.
    It felt good enough to be doing again this year :P

Its not the greatest cycling route 364 days of the year.......... but I do not want to ride it on any of those days ;-)
  • The Ride London Surrey 100 is trying to be the London Marathon of cycling, too early at the moment to call it iconic though. Like I used to be with LM, it's one of those events that I want to do, but once done I doubt I will be too bothered if I don't get in again.

There may well be events that are longer, tougher, go through more beautiful countryside etc, but to a lot of people the fact that it does go past so many iconic landmarks in London will be a big draw.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Just a bike ride... Didn't bother to enter and can't really see what the fuss is about. A £5 audax would be just as enjoyable
  • Anonymous
    Your mention of money makes me think you have a chip on your shoulder Mikey.

If you really believe that then you are indeed a happy cyclist.
    For me it would have to be both a £5 audax and a £500 (or whatever it is) trip to London though.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    A £500 trip to London to ride a 100 miles would make you happy? Craziness.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Not many years ago I did spend a total of 750 pounds to do the 5 days Raid Pyreneen, fully supported... what a once in a lifetime experience that was...
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I wasn't too bothered if i got in or not this year having done it last year (box ticked). But, if you don't think you're missing out on an exceptional cycling experience, then you're kidding yourself quite frankly.

It's a faff, it's expensive, but there nothing quite like it.
  • Anonymous
    Grill wrote:

I am going to be very happy for 3 days (if it goes as well as last year) thanks very much ;-)

Its a weekend away. How much do you spend on one of those?
  • I see your point. I think we are very different.... the thing I hate the most are crowds... in a cycling event I look at either the challenge or the stunning scenery. This one is the easiest and dullest among all the cycling events and it's crowded as it can be... basically they'd have to pay me to ride it...

But I understand others do love the crowds, the Strava KOM and all that stuff
  • Grill
    Carbonator wrote:
    Grill wrote:

I am going to be very happy for 3 days (if it goes as well as last year) thanks very much ;-)

My last one in Copenhagen cost less than that for 2 people and it's more than my 9 days in Majorca is costing.
  • Anonymous
    Its difficult to compare cost wise really but if we get down to the nitty gritty of this ride I would be happy to pay about £250-300 for the actual entry, so quite a bit more than for any other sportive entry.
    I have actually only paid £50 for both this and last years, but I would pay up to that if I had to.

£200'ish extra for the entry is not much in a year and I just have to cut back somewhere else and try not to look at it as a big entry fee.

I go with my family and the other costs involved are a lot more, but we are having a long weekend away in London, staying in a hotel and eating out, seeing friends and visiting attractions so its a package really.

If I get bored with the ride/event then I will stop but plan to do the first five.
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    Grill wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    Grill wrote:

My last one in Copenhagen cost less than that for 2 people and it's more than my 9 days in Majorca is costing.

Copenhagen, one of the most expensive cities in Europe?
  • Grill
    MartinGT wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Copenhagen, one of the most expensive cities in Europe?

That's right. 3 nights hotel and flights was just shy of 300. I know how to travel on the cheap.
  • Anonymous
    Oh, the other thing is that whatever money I pay for the entry is going to charity and......

A/ I think we should all donate a bit to charity.

B/ If someone knocks on my door, or asks me in the street etc. I can say that My charity budget for the year is maxed out with a clear conscience ;-)

My carbon footprint is low too so good for the environment. Those cheap flights are killing our planet :shock:
  • Peat wrote:
    I wasn't too bothered if i got in or not this year having done it last year (box ticked). But, if you don't think you're missing out on an exceptional cycling experience, then you're kidding yourself quite frankly.

You've a very narrow minded view on cyclists and how we all derive pleasure from the same activity in many different ways. My most enjoyable rides have begun at dawn in the summer in rural areas where you might not see a soul for the first couple of hours...utter bliss to me. I wouldn't do RL if I was paid £100, let alone give my own money to do it.
  • Grill
    Carbonator wrote:
    Oh, the other thing is that whatever money I pay for the entry is going to charity and......

A/ I think we should all donate a bit to charity.

B/ If someone knocks on my door, or asks me in the street etc. I can say that My charity budget for the year is maxed out with a clear conscience ;-)

My carbon footprint is low too so good for the environment. Those cheap flights are killing our planet :shock:

Good for you. I don't trust charities and I have no crisis of conscience in regards to charity or the amount I fly. What you do with your money is you business, but from a logical standpoint it's a bit of a waste.
  • Anonymous
    Peat wrote:

You've a very narrow minded view on cyclists and how we all derive pleasure from the same activity in many different ways. My most enjoyable rides have begun at dawn in the summer in rural areas where you might not see a soul for the first couple of hours...utter bliss to me. I wouldn't do RL if I was paid £100, let alone give my own money to do it.

But I would like that too. How do you know peat wouldn't?
    His view is less narrow than yours if he would.
  • Hotel booked ages ago £40 (I'm cheap as chips, so a Travelodge 3 miles away it is)
    Event entry £48 (if I remember right)
    SWMBO and the two kids will be with me, so we will have a day out in London the day before, either using our Merlin cards or going to a museum.
    After the event we will get to watch the pro race finish.

Food will be on top, but then it would at any other weekend away.

I really don't see it as an expensive weekend, especially as the kids love having a trip to London and I will be half way around by the time they get out of bed.....

I am sure that my C2C in a day will go through much nicer scenary and I know that it will be a much more strenuous test, but I am looking forward to the RL100 just as much. However, being up in Cumbria and Yorkshire means that I have to have at least 2 nights away at considerably more cost compared to the RL100.
  • Anonymous
    Grill wrote:
    from a logical standpoint it's a bit of a waste.

What has logic got to do with it?

Its not a waste at all if I have a good time.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Peat wrote:

Likewise, i love dawn rides when it's only you and the fauna. Infact, the vast majority of my riding is rural and solo and long may it continue.

I am just poking as i am curious as to the motives of someone like yourself posting in a thread, for people that want to do RL, and making BS statements like yours. It just makes you seem like a bitter bastard. Just sayin.
  • Hotel booked ages ago £40 (I'm cheap as chips, so a Travelodge 3 miles away it is)
    Event entry £48 (if I remember right)
    SWMBO and the two kids will be with me, so we will have a day out in London the day before, either using our Merlin cards or going to a museum.
    After the event we will get to watch the pro race finish.

Food will be on top, but then it would at any other weekend away.

I really don't see it as an expensive weekend, especially as the kids love having a trip to London and I will be half way around by the time they get out of bed.....

I am sure that my C2C in a day will go through much nicer scenary and I know that it will be a much more strenuous test, but I am looking forward to the RL100 just as much. However, being up in Cumbria and Yorkshire means that I have to have at least 2 nights away at considerably more cost compared to the RL100.

I'm thinking of C2C in a day so would be interested to hear your plans.
  • Anonymous
    The Premiere Inn (or is it Holiday Inn) do breakfast from 4am :-)