Gravduro uniform

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited February 2014 in MTB general
What is it with the all blue kit and goggles with brightly coloured xc lid?
Is it the uniform of Gravduro riders?
Bring back brightly coloured lycra, it didn't look this bad.

Comments

• "Gravduro" sounds completely websters and therefore suits the attire described.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    "Gravduro" sounds completely websters and therefore suits the attire described.
    I have to agree here.

Though I also despair at all the people on the trails that look like doddy from MBUK, he really is a special case...
    I have some green shorts, that's about as flamboyant as I get.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    I don't understand the goggles with xc lid.
    Glasses are more comfortable, stay in place better and are less prone to fogging.
    I wear goggles with my full face helmet but goggles are more comfortable with a full face.
  • ilovedirt
    I don't understand the goggles with xc lid.
    Glasses are more comfortable, stay in place better and are less prone to fogging.
    I wear goggles with my full face helmet but goggles are more comfortable with a full face.
    What? You're doing something wrong then, I sometimes wear goggles with my XC lid, they keep in place way better than glasses. They also perform completely different tasks. Glasses are for keeping muck out your eyes. Goggles are for keeping the wind (and muck) out your eyes. Goggles + XC lid makes complete sense for some scenarios.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    I tried mine with my xc lid after I lost my glasses (from my pocket). They just wouldn't stay in place and I got constant (well deserved) abuse for looking a complete tool.
  • Goggles + pisspot is probably the most websters thing going!
  • ilovedirt
    I tried mine with my xc lid after I lost my glasses (from my pocket). They just wouldn't stay in place and I got constant (well deserved) abuse for looking a complete tool.
    I wear goggles over my (prescription) glasses, with my XC lid occasionally on very fast/open descents. What's wrong with wanting to be able to see properly so that I don't have a horrible high speed crash?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    That said, you forfeited the right to tell anyone they look like a tool after you bought an Urge helmet ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Nothing at all tbh!
    And if needed I'd probably try it, luckily my fenderbender seems to do a good enough job, either that or I'm wearing my ff and goggles.

Cant decide if I want something light like an ArchiEnduro helmet... If I'm riding quick/hard enough to want goggles, I'll probably want a ff anyway!
  • rockmonkeysc
    ilovedirt wrote:
    That said, you forfeited the right to tell anyone they look like a tool after you bought an Urge helmet ;)

Best helmet I have ever had. Lighter than a carbon Troy Lee D3, (almost) indestructible peak, comfortable and most importantly, cheap.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    ilovedirt wrote:

Best helmet I have ever had. Lighter than a carbon Troy Lee D3, (almost) indestructible peak, comfortable and most importantly, cheap.

That's what you value most from a helmet, the price? Suppose it makes sense if you're replacing them a lot but I'd spend whatever to get a helmet that fits me properly. A point I managed to prove yesterday in hockey when I took a full hit to the temple from 3m away, I've been KO'd in the past in the old uni lid by a similar shot :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    I do replace them a bit too regularly! Obviously fit comes first.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Obviously fit comes first.

In which case I suggest stacking it every ride and buy a Troy Lee ;)

Joking aside my A1 is THE comfiest lid I've ever owned or tried on, it's mind boggling how comfy it is! (although obviously your mind won't be as boggled as it would be if you were to crash without one!)

I do own some pretty bright kit, my fluorescent Fox shorts looked a lot less, errr, fluorescent when I looked at them online! I got a black pair of the same shorts so keep the yellow ones as a spare pair. Other than that it's pretty much black or white kit with a few bits of green, exception being my new Uni jersey which matches none of my kit or my bikes :lol:

Goggles on "Xc" lids are acceptable if they're "enduro specific" so to speak, glorified roadie lids with peaks on are not cool and not really all that good. I've worn goggles for Xc quite abit recently and they seem to keep wind and crap out my eyes better, which given the weather we've had on the welsh coast recently is a bloody good thing! Come summer, if we have one that is, I'll revert to my Northwave shades, great value and they've performed really well, think I got them for £15 from CRC or something silly like that, got a clear pair as well for a similar price.

While we're here as well...

Spd's are better than flats (Christ, never thought I'd say that)

Sussers are better than hardtails, though I have both cos I can :D
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt wrote:

And yet it still looks absolutely retarded, so you've actually proven my point. Function over form.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Is it the uniform of Gravduro riders?

what is Gravduro
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Gravity enduro.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Lewis A wrote:
    Gravity enduro.

Only when ridden by posers in bright blue kit and xc lids with goggles
  • poah
    Lewis A wrote:
    Gravity enduro.

how does that differ from normal enduro
  • rockmonkeysc
    Im not entirely sure what the difference is between all mountain and enduro. As far as I can tell it's pretty much just what used to be called mountain biking.
    Hopefully this video explains it better
    http://youtu.be/8miUEBd_bD4
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I can honestly say I have no idea what half the stuff In this thread means. Gravduro? Fark me, I thought we hadn't even decided what ENduro meant yet. Am I not right in saying a gravity enduro is a downhill race for pussies and posers? Just watched some videos and they all look like DH format but with old men on ridiculously expensive shiny toys to offset small penis syndrome.

Oh and for those talking about goggles with an xc lid, you make me sick to my very core.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    I have literally no idea what the difference is, since enduro is a gravity discipline, is 'gravduro' 'more gravity'?
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • I think enduro has more timed ups. Gravity enduro has linking sections with ups, but 99%* of the timed sections are downhill.

*my assumption
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Enduros don't have gravity in them
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    My understanding is that gravity enduro is just taken from the name of the UK enduro series and actually is exactly the same as any "enduro" events. Different events follow different formats though, some allow practice, some don't afaik there is no set rule book for enduro events. Basically it's riding a 140-160ish mm bike over timed sections similar to rallying, most climbs are not timed, but some super D events in the states are less extreme than what we have here in Europe, and some climbs are times, for example Downieville Classic has XC and DH categories and an overall winner, usually won by the guy fastest on the XC route.

I just like to think of it of riding trail bikes against the clock over fun sections of trail
  • rockmonkeysc
    Oh and for those talking about goggles with an xc lid, you make me sick to my very core.

Worse than roadies with fanny packs
  • ilovedirt
    edited February 2014
    I can honestly say I have no idea what half the stuff In this thread means. Gravduro? Fark me, I thought we hadn't even decided what ENduro meant yet. Am I not right in saying a gravity enduro is a downhill race for pussies and posers? Just watched some videos and they all look like DH format but with old men on ridiculously expensive shiny toys to offset small penis syndrome.

No, not downhill for pussies, it's downhill for men. Instead of racing one timed descent, you ride all day with several timed descents and pedal up in between, on a shorter travel bike.
    I don't know how much experience you have with downhill racing, but there are just as many middle-aged men with shiny expensive bikes, if not more.

As for goggles with XC lid, I wore goggles with my XC lid today on a particularly open and wet descent, and got a personal best on strava. You can't complain about middle-aged men with shiny toys when you dismiss something functional because you think it looks silly, grow up.

For those getting confused between enduro, and gravity enduro, traditional enduro races are essentially XC races held over several days and many hundreds of kilometres, they sometimes have special timed stages, for example a trans-wales enduro race had a few trail centres as special stages. Gravity enduro races last one day and have several shorter timed stages, around 5 minutes or so, not necessarily all downhill, but mostly. The emphasis is on more technical descents, hence gravity enduro.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    POAH wrote:
    Lewis A wrote:
    Gravity enduro.

how does that differ from normal enduro

More downhill.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Lewis A wrote:
    I have literally no idea what the difference is, since enduro is a gravity discipline, is 'gravduro' 'more gravity'?

Can you have more gravity, without moving to a different planet?

And do we now need another niche of bikes for Gravduro? Has anybody told the manufacturers yet? Maybe they could use a new wheel size too...
  • poah
    so Gravduro is the same as enduro which is like being timed riding a trail centre on a mountain except for the uphill bits.