Bob crow based noddergedon is coming - BOB CROW DIES

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Took me 50 minutes for my 45 mile commute, just like it usually does :twisted:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I have to drive a tiny French-made electric van from Elephant and Castle to Kingston this afternoon, then ride home. Not looking forward to it at all. Company van which we've sold and I'm delivery. Limited to 30mph. Really looking forward to negotiating the A3 in the bloody thing, especially as I rarely drive in London and there is a monsoon forecast. Also have a meeting this afternoon that I need to cycle to, hope they won't mind me dripping all over their office. Have deployed full Castelli/Sportful rain gear, but lost my waterproof cap to the wind last night. It was only a week old. :roll:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That's what you get for not wearing a helmet.......
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    coriordan wrote:

Actually I'm helmeted today. Have to be when I ride to clients; company policy.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    coriordan wrote:

Actually I'm helmeted today. Have to be when I ride to clients; company policy.

Full face? Or are your clients really that bad?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Just been out to a meeting in South Ken via Brompton and Tube. Roads very busy, and about 90% cabs. Must be raking it in. Tube surprisingly busy for late morning/midday
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    edited February 2014
    bikenado last night wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be

my legs needed to check my avatar though
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • London rail users subsidise the rest of the UK? Eh? Have you seen rail fares in Scotland? Trust me, you aren't subsidising independent franchises, idiot.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/09/train-pas ... n-4223022/
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Clever Pun wrote:
    bikenado last night wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be

my legs needed to check my avatar though
    That's 'coz there was no rain. Tonight should separate the men (and women) from the nodders.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,694
    London rail users subsidise the rest of the UK? Eh? Have you seen rail fares in Scotland? Trust me, you aren't subsidising independent franchises, idiot.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/09/train-pas ... f-britain-<a href="tel:4223022" sl-processed="1">4223022</a>/
    this sort of thing really gets on my tits. Those data show that urban commuters subsidise rural rail journeys. By the same reasoning Edinbugh commuters are unfairly subsidising rail fares in Suffolk. Not such a good headline I suppose.

Incidentally that southampton season ticket is a bargain. 78miles for £5k a year. It's nearly £4k for the 45mike commute between Edinbugh and Glasgow, despite all the subsidies we are supposed to be getting.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Incidentally that southampton season ticket is a bargain. 78miles for £5k a year. It's nearly £4k for the 45mike commute between Edinbugh and Glasgow, despite all the subsidies we are supposed to be getting.
    Problem is, you end up in Southampton or London....
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    London gets the Olympics. They have the parliament. They have the bulk of the great museums. They have the City and the cash it generates. The have Buckingham palace, Kew Gardens and Mary f***in Poppins.

We cannot all live there. If it is one of the primary generators of money, then we have a right to some of it. So if our transportation is subsidised by the big stink, so flippin what?

Spent 2 days in Barcelona and the Metro is fantastic. Clean, efficient, wide carriages, plenty of staff and Policia everywhere.

As a hub, as a centre of commerce, cities need to have good communication. If it benefits everyone, why is transport not subsidised by the Government like the SNCF/TGV and the major lines into Tokyo. The new Tokyo magnetic rail line from Okinawa cost $billions but it is relatively cheap because it is heavily subsidised. It has almost eliminated internal flights in Japan. The Japanese communications network benefits the whole country economically. We need a better transport system and we need one that is subsidised.

PS I loathe London. What a hole. Apart from a few buildings of note, the place should be demolished and we should start again.

How about:
    No cars except Taxis within the M25 area. Make the M25 a giant car park (it is anyway). You would be able to get on a bus into the City in no time.
    Only delivery vehicles, buses, bicycles and disabled car drivers. pedestrianise all the town centres in London borough. Then it would work.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Ok let's do it,Pina for mayor.
  • pinno

Cheers mate, that is absolutely priceless because it will really really pi$$ Stevo 666 right off.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    As a hub, as a centre of commerce, cities need to have good communication. If it benefits everyone, why is transport not subsidised by the Government like the SNCF/TGV and the major lines into Tokyo. The new Tokyo magnetic rail line from Okinawa cost $billions but it is relatively cheap because it is heavily subsidised. It has almost eliminated internal flights in Japan. The Japanese communications network benefits the whole country economically. We need a better transport system and we need one that is subsidised.

Flying in Japan is substantially cheaper and quicker than taking the Bullet Train. Return flights from Haneda to Hiroshima costs about half what the train does, and as a bonus you get to see Fuji-San from above which is frankly spectacular. Can't comment on the maglev.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • pinno
    I hate flying.

The calorific value of one gallon of petrol can fuel a cyclist for 10,000 miles.

Flying is pants. Why get into a jet propelled Aluminium cannister and rise to 37,000 feet above the earth?

(Sort of) Back on topic:
    Do you agree or don't you agree with subsidising transport systems because it has a benefit to us all?
  • asprilla
    I hate flying.

The calorific value of one gallon of petrol can fuel a cyclist for 10,000 miles.

Flying is pants. Why get into a jet propelled Aluminium cannister and rise to 37,000 feet above the earth?

(Sort of) Back on topic:
    Do you agree or don't you agree with subsidising transport systems because it has a benefit to us all?

I think transport should be as quick, cheap and pleasurable. Unfortunately (apart from cycling) you can generally only have two of the three.

Back off topic; with kids I'd rather be in an airport than a train station platform and if I'm going to be sealed in an aluminium with them and limited entertainment options I want it to be for as short a period as possible.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    The problem is, it doesn't feel like we are subsidised. Much of the North West's rail franchise is held by Northern Rail. The rolling stock that comes with the franchise is over forty years old, it's dirty, unreliable, and infrequent - far worse than the overland services I used when I lived in London. The customer service is appalling. It's expensive. The buses are too expensive - a return from North Manchester to the city centre is nearly seven quid for a journey of eight miles.

I don't know anyone up here who actually wants the HS2 either - the journey from Manchester to London is only 2hrs 8 mins as it is. Everybody seems to want more investment in local services that they use every day than rather than a high speed link to the capital that we don't think will bring any business back to the North West.

On the plus side, the terrible transport services got me back on a bike for the first time since I was a teenager, so it's not all bad :)
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    msmancunia wrote:
    The rolling stock that comes with the franchise is over forty years old, it's dirty, unreliable, and infrequent - far worse than the overland services I used when I lived in London.

Which stock is that? AFAIK, the oldest stuff dates from the mid 80s so not quite 30 years old. And not really that old in terms of railway rolling stock lifespans. If it's unreliable it is down to maintenance and refurb needs rather than any need to replace outright.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604

Cheers mate, that is absolutely priceless because it will really really pi$$ Stevo 666 right off.
    I'm fine with that 'cos we're more likely to see Elvis riding the Loch Ness Monster :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    i am going to New Zealand for a holiday. I am sure that I could do it by bike and boat but on reflection, I would rather fly.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    Asprilla wrote:
    I hate flying....

I think transport should be as quick, cheap and pleasurable. Unfortunately (apart from cycling) you can generally only have two of the three.

That is known as the 'Triple constraint'. Most things in life are tempered by this.
  • msmancunia wrote:
    The problem is, it doesn't feel like we are subsidised. Much of the North West's rail franchise is held by Northern Rail. The rolling stock that comes with the franchise is over forty years old, it's dirty, unreliable, and infrequent - far worse than the overland services I used when I lived in London. The customer service is appalling. It's expensive. The buses are too expensive - a return from North Manchester to the city centre is nearly seven quid for a journey of eight miles.

I don't know anyone up here who actually wants the HS2 either - the journey from Manchester to London is only 2hrs 8 mins as it is. Everybody seems to want more investment in local services that they use every day than rather than a high speed link to the capital that we don't think will bring any business back to the North West.

On the plus side, the terrible transport services got me back on a bike for the first time since I was a teenager, so it's not all bad :)

Public transport is fairly slow and pricey in most cases, while I quite like the train to work now, using the train to visit friends family is a slow tiring affair, partially when I used to drive the routes so know how little time and easy it is by car.

to visit my folks leave at 4pm I'll arrive by 7pm by train i've only got to reading station by that point waiting for the Paddington train to Newport, getting to Abergavenny by 10.30pm getting to my folks place by 11ish since they picked me up, no buses etc run at that time or go near.

and this weekend to see my sister in law and various kids, out in Sussex 45mins to a hr drive but a good 2 to 3 hrs on the train...

it is rather galling to spend a fair bit of money to travel fairly uncomfortably has to be said, and thats compared to a old wee ford Fiesta so hardly a high bar to reach.
  • "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Glad the noddergedon is over for now.....(waits a few days)
    I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
    I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
    If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    So whose going to step in now?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26527325

Pina?

Stevo?

:wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    arran77 wrote:
    So whose going to step in now?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26527325

Pina?

Stevo?

:wink:

Phil Mitchell?
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Is Scargill still alive and kicking?

An odios fat sh*t but he was good at what he did, maybe if he chose a bike instead of the tube or cruise ships he might have lasted a bit longer. As much as he annoyed me he didn't quite deserve to kick the bucket at 52.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    he didn't quite deserve to kick the bucket at 52.

In a way he probably did. He clearly lived a lifestyle that meant heart attacks were a serious possibility.

I always though he was the most intelligent thick man I've ever listened to. I certainly admired him, even if I didn't always agree with him.
  • asprilla
    Was it a murder?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3