Bob crow based noddergedon is coming - BOB CROW DIES

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604
    If anyone did have a bad day due to the tube strike, here's something to make you feel better:
    http://www.punchinthefacebook.com/punch/bob-crow
    To give you some motivation, you might be interested to know that the totally unhypocritical leftie Mr. Crow
    organised the tube strike from his beach holiday in brazil and claimed he booked it ages ago after seeing an ad in the Daily Mail :lol: What a complete ****.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    If anyone did have a bad day due to the tube strike, here's something to make you feel better:
    To give you some motivation, you might be interested to know that the totally unhypocritical leftie Mr. Crow
    organised the tube strike from his beach holiday in brazil and claimed he booked it ages ago after seeing an ad in the Daily Mail :lol: What a complete ****.

Perhaps you'll feel differently if your mother / sister / daughter gets punched in the face at 11pm in an unmanned tube station. You may feel safe or never require any help at a Tube station. However, you are not everybody.
    Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    RedWheels wrote:
    I wasn't blaming the bankers i was blaming the governments priorities, which include sinking money into bailing out debt, The bankers themselves have actually done a very good job, which is make money for themselves and when the mess up get other people to pay for it. If i was a banker i would be patting myself on the back. . or employing a newly redundant underground worker on a low wage to pat it for me.

Broadly unrelated but anyone who refers to bankers with the prefix "the" struggles to persuade me to read anything else they've written.

Seems to be the only profession who routinely get given that prefix.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    People who get angry at bob crow miss the point.

He doesn't care, and it's not his job to.

He's there purely to represent the people who are part of his union and act on their behalf. If you're not in the union, why does it matter to him?

He strikes me (wehay) as very good at getting concessions from the govt. Good for him and his union. The govt obviously need to up their game.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Southgate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Perhaps you'll feel differently if your mother / sister / daughter gets punched in the face at 11pm in an unmanned tube station. You may feel safe or never require any help at a Tube station. However, you are not everybody.

Don't use the underground much apart from rare trips to London. But reading this thread it would appear that if you need assistance, generally underground staff are not worth a w@nk. If the staff are sat inside a nice warm office, they would perhaps not be much use to anyone being assaulted on the platform would they?
    If having personel on duty at the station would enhance safety, then of course that is worthy of support. But reading the paper and guarding a kettle is a bit different.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    He strikes me (wehay) as very good at getting concessions from the govt. Good for him and his union. The govt obviously need to up their game.
    Govt are stuck though. Any move they make would be met with more strikes..
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    Southgate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Don't use the underground much apart from rare trips to London. But reading this thread it would appear that if you need assistance, generally underground staff are not worth a w@nk. If the staff are sat inside a nice warm office, they would perhaps not be much use to anyone being assaulted on the platform would they?
    If having personel on duty at the station would enhance safety, then of course that is worthy of support. But reading the paper and guarding a kettle is a bit different.

The presence of staff at the ticket office is an obvious deterrent to assault and vandalism at the station entrance, and to a lesser extent on the platforms. That's what Boris Johnson said when he first got elected on a promise to keep ticket offices open. Cutting staff won't make the trains run on time, or provide safer stations. Make no mistake, this is about cutting staff not redeploying them. The service will suffer for it, the fares will continue to rise, and the Daily Mail will find a way to somehow blame it all on Bob Crow.
    Superstition begins with pinning race number 13 upside down and it ends with the brutal slaughter of Mamils at the cake stop.
  • Southgate wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Um while staff to help confused tourist or sort out Oyster cards and so on. Fair point though most in most tube stations staff are rather lacking in abundance, they may be in a back room somewhere, for the above point you ring 999 rather than look for some staff who may or may not be around.
  • jds_1981
    Southgate wrote:
    The presence of staff at the ticket office is an obvious deterrent to assault and vandalism at the station entrance, and to a lesser extent on the platforms.
    So get rid of them and fund a few more btp.. http://beta.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/safety ... his-page-1
    Cutting staff won't make the trains run on time
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_driverless_trains#Unattended_Train_Operation_.28UTO_-_completely_driverless.29_systems_and_lines_.28Grade_of_Automation_4.29
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981
    Southgate wrote:
    Daily Mail will find a way to somehow blame it all on Bob Crow.
    Argh, you do know that attempting to fit "the daily mail", or "the bankers" in posts weakens your argument? At a minimum because you'll have a proportion of people reading immediately start to think you're slightly crazy....
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    Southgate wrote:
    Argh, you do know that attempting to fit "the daily mail", or "the bankers" in posts weakens your argument? At a minimum because you'll have a proportion of people reading immediately start to think you're slightly crazy....

You haven't made an argument. 'You're wrong because I say you're wrong' and claiming to speak for others, proves nothing at all. It is merely unsupported assertion and insult.

Self evidently the Daily Mail does blame Bob Crow, and its stablemate and only London evening paper the Evening Standard is attempting to smear an entire workforce using a photograph of a single worker who may or may not be a) ticket office staff, and b) on duty at the time. I didn't mention "the bankers", but very clearly this is a group of private sector workers who have been bailed out at the cost of lowering everyone else's living standards and cutting public services. Again, absolutely pertinent to the topic.

Let's be clear about what is planned. All ticket offices will be closed. Very few of those staff will be redeployed on platforms or on other customer service duties. The Mayor and TfL are imposing this without meaningful negotiation, despite both unions being willing to talk. This is about job cuts, not about improving the service.

Please explain how having fewer or no staff at stations and closing the official (and often only) point of contact for the public will:
    1. improve the service, and
    2. lead to safer rather than more dangerous stations

In other words: stop calling people crazy for disagreeing with you, and make an argument. Put your case.

If you think that the absence of a ticket office and staff will improve the journey of an elderly person or a tourist, you need to say how and in what ways their travelling experience will be enhanced by not being able to request assistance should they require it.

If you think that empty stations are safer than staffed stations you need to demonstrate this using evidence.

If you can't explain why you think what you think, you don't really have any business calling other people crazy, do you?
  • Southgate wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Southgate wrote:

You haven't made an argument. 'You're wrong because I say you're wrong' and claiming to speak for others, proves nothing at all. It is merely unsupported assertion and insult.

Self evidently the Daily Mail does blame Bob Crow, and its stablemate and only London evening paper the Evening Standard is attempting to smear an entire workforce using a photograph of a single worker who may or may not be a) ticket office staff, and b) on duty at the time. I didn't mention "the bankers", but very clearly this is a group of private sector workers who have been bailed out at the cost of lowering everyone else's living standards and cutting public services. Again, absolutely pertinent to the topic.

Let's be clear about what is planned. All ticket offices will be closed. Very few of those staff will be redeployed on platforms or on other customer service duties. The Mayor and TfL are imposing this without meaningful negotiation, despite both unions being willing to talk. This is about job cuts, not about improving the service.

Please explain how having fewer or no staff at stations and closing the official (and often only) point of contact for the public will:
    1. improve the service, and
    2. lead to safer rather than more dangerous stations

In other words: stop calling people crazy for disagreeing with you, and make an argument. Put your case.

If you think that the absence of a ticket office and staff will improve the journey of an elderly person or a tourist, you need to say how and in what ways their travelling experience will be enhanced by not being able to request assistance should they require it.

If you think that empty stations are safer than staffed stations you need to demonstrate this using evidence.

If you can't explain why you think what you think, you don't really have any business calling other people crazy, do you?
    Spot on. I'm sick of the biased rhetoric from most mainstream media sources painting it otherwise. Most reports I have seen show Boris interviews, complaining communters and TfL representatives, and don't even bother to interview staff or union members.
  • jds_1981
    Southgate wrote:
    You're quite right, I didn't make an argument, & I know you didn't mention 'the bankers' but they have appeared in this thread. It's just that by the time I can start playing 'guardian commentator phrase bingo' in a thread I know it's time is almost over. Hence I'm ducking out here. Ulimately this I find disappointing.
    [/quote][/quote]
    I didn't call anyone crazy, I suggested that when people start pulling references in to certain things (a sublist has been aforementioned) for no great reason (perhaps a poor attempt at a strawman?), people might start to think them slightly crazy.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,694
    Wow, what a lot of navel gazing London centric cobblers this thread is.

London rail users subsidise the rest of the UK? Eh? Have you seen rail fares in Scotland? Trust me, you aren't subsidising independent franchises, idiot.

Staffing levels reduce when there are automated alternatives in all industries. Get used to it. Stop being luddites. Most rural or suburban rail stations throughout the UK have no staff. 100 years ago, they (and the myriad of others which no longer exist - a problem you navel gazers don't have) would have had a live-in station master. Times change. Is London and/or the Underground a special case?

Clearly they are. Their union is extremely active, shall we say. The rest of the country, which has to put up with billion pound tram systems that don't run, or busses which go at walking pace, cannot understand the blind panic blitz/armageddon response to having to perhaps walk a couple of miles in central London. Its so boring.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Its so boring.
    I believe that this needs repeating.
    Grammatically incorrect or not.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Most rural or suburban rail stations throughout the UK have no staff. 100 years ago, they (and the myriad of others which no longer exist - a problem you navel gazers don't have) would have had a live-in station master. Times change. Is London and/or the Underground a special case?

Exactly how many people do you think use the rural stations on a daily basis? How many people do you think use the average tube station on a daily basis? You might as well start complaining that airports are old fashioned because they are staffed (which is only slightly less silly an analogy). Or anything come to that. Lets live in a world where everything is supplied by machines. Fabulous.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Union thug or floppy haired tory? Well I like both but which is better? Only one way to find out... FIGHT!
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Its CARnage out there absolute carnage - what I want to know is. Where the hell is everyone parking?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Cripes, its like Death Race 2000 out there! My main problem was idiot cyclists, the cars simply were not going anywhere.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • MrSweary
    rubertoe wrote:
    Its CARnage out there absolute carnage - what I want to know is. Where the hell is everyone parking?

Yeah, spidey senses set to max.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    On days like this I'm glad I no longer work in London, come to think of it on any day I'm glad I don't work in London, the place is an overcrowded shite hole full of people who only care about themselves and their own little worlds, give me my commute on the rural roads of Hampshire and Berkshire any day :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • MrSweary
    arran77 wrote:
    On days like this I'm glad I no longer work in London, come to think of it on any day I'm glad I don't work in London, the place is an overcrowded shite hole full of people who only care about themselves and their own little worlds, give me my commute on the rural roads of Hampshire and Berkshire any day :wink:

We don't like you either.. :wink:
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • This is progress, technology is going to make most of us redundant, I am sure some bald chimp and floppy hair buffoon had the same spat of the greater use of the wheel at some point in the past.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... ety-drones

On the plus side all those nodders ruining my journey to work can be used as fuel in the furnaces to power our new mchanised overlords.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    rubertoe wrote:

I reckon by the time they get in, they just turn round and go home.

I feel bad for saying it, but the speed some people were cycling in, it would be quicker to walk.

Today seemed more carnage than yesterday!
    exercise.png
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Is London and/or the Underground a special case?

Clearly they are. Their union is extremely active, shall we say. The rest of the country, which has to put up with billion pound tram systems that don't run, or busses which go at walking pace, cannot understand the blind panic blitz/armageddon response to having to perhaps walk a couple of miles in central London. Its so boring.

There are a quite a lot of people using the Tube - 3.4million a day during the week, so yes, I'd say it was a special case. That degree of usage is also the reason why having unmanned stations is not really an option. I'm no fan of Crow, and I don't have a problem with staff being moved in front of the desk. My issue is that just moving people to the other side of a glass screen is clearly not going to make the £50million saving per year being quoted, so there must also be some reduction in staffing levels on the platforms. On a small zone 6, above ground station with just two platforms, maybe this isn't too much of an issue. But in one of the labyrinthine interchange stations like Warren Street or Green Park, you could easily spend half an hour trying to find a member of staff. I suppose one option would be to have an information/assistance point, where you would be pretty sure of finding someone to help you. It would make sense to put it near the turnstiles... something like a ticket office would do it.

As an aside, on my way through Farringdon station last night, the FCC (Thameslink) ticket office was closed, but ironically, they had set up a manned information desk immediately in front of the window.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheStone wrote:

Today seemed more carnage than yesterday!

I think people decided that the tube wasn't operating as well as they thought yesterday and the busses were going nowhere while all their cycling collegues looked smug.

I hapily lead the charge of 1,000 nodders off from the lights at Oval to head in front of the car truying to press through the yeloow hatched box (which he could't) looking back it was like the parting of the red sea as he was swallowed up by hundreds of nodders either side.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    indeed, how many clueless Chinese, Japanese, American etc. tourists do you get using those rural Scottish stations? Get on the tube lines heading towards Heathrow and sometimes the majority of passengers will be tourists.

I also hope they improve the automated ticket systems, normally when we travel as a family we get our tickets from the manned window as they can almost always work out a cheaper fare than the limited options available on the machines.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    This is progress, technology is going to make most of us redundant, I am sure some bald chimp and floppy hair buffoon had the same spat of the greater use of the wheel at some point in the past.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... ety-drones

On the plus side all those nodders ruining my journey to work can be used as fuel in the furnaces to power our new mchanised overlords.

That's quite interesting. If you look at the population of the planet as a machine that exists to serve itself, if there is nothing for the majority to do to contribute to it, what happens to that part of the population? Douglas Adams knew!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Why doesn't Boris stick the congestion charge up on strike days to £30, close the main arteries for public transport, cabs and bikes only and cancel all bus drivers leave to get more buses on the road.
    Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
    GT Edge Ti
    Ribble Audax
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    Pretty much stationary traffic from Clapham South all the way to PS. It took 75 mins as opposed to 55 mins
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer