Johnny Bellis

2»

Comments

• There is a few IOM guys on here, anyone know what kind of results he was getting last year?

None to my knowledge, he didn't race domestically last year. He turned out for the Hamper race just after Christmas but DNF'd.

So he hasn't got his ride at CW through results, I think they have played a clever card here, it makes them look good giving him a chance, gets them lots of publicity and potentially could pay off if he manages to reach where he was before the crash
  • There is a few IOM guys on here, anyone know what kind of results he was getting last year?

None to my knowledge, he didn't race domestically last year. He turned out for the Hamper race just after Christmas but DNF'd.

So he hasn't got his ride at CW through results, I think they have played a clever card here, it makes them look good giving him a chance, gets them lots of publicity and potentially could pay off if he manages to reach where he was before the crash

I'll stick my neck out and say he would without a doubt have been competing at the sharp end of WT level but for the accident and would have been a major player in all of the cycling success that has come Britain's way in the last four years probably with a couple of GT stages under his belt.

IMO I don't think he can get back to that in fact I'm not aware of any results to justify the current CW move. However, if people such as Shane Sutton and Planet X see something in him then hopefully he can make come back. Here's hoping he can.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • I think its fair to say Jonnys results in the past few seasons dont give him a spot on the team .

But his courage , determination , and ability to look forward most definitely do . Our job is pretty simple , to give him the tools to have a chance to succeed the rest is really down to Jonny . By tools I mean stability , a good base , a good team , and good structure and support , the rest is down to the rider and he knows he is the one that has to press on the pedals .

One thing I do believe is that he has the engine , any rider capable of a 3rd place in a world road championship has the motor .Shane is the key influencer in our decision to support Jonny (and Jake) and the Christina team gives us a perfect route to give UK riders in this season and seasons beyond an entry point into some good racing . I am sure Shane backing Jonny is led by sentimentality and loyalty , but this is what defines Shane as a great person , coach and leader and those are good traits for us to look to support and endorse.

Historically as a company we were only ever able to support riders to top domestic level , even Ryan Mullen who we supported a few years back when he reached the top of the UK we as a company couldnt offer anything after that so we hope the Christina team gives us an ability to get back into supporting UK riders throughout their careers from juniors through to seniors and beyond.

The first riders I sponsored in circa 1989 were two junior riders John Tanner and Wayne Randle , then along the years Mark Lovatt , Ray Eden , Kev Dawson , Ian Stannard , Adam Blythe , Paul Curran, Gary Speight , and many more, and over the past 30 years we have helped a lot and in many cases the riders have contributed hugely to our success as a business so this is a welcome return to us to get back to what we love doing .
  • I think its fair to say Jonnys results in the past few seasons dont give him a spot on the team .

But his courage , determination , and ability to look forward most definitely do . Our job is pretty simple , to give him the tools to have a chance to succeed the rest is really down to Jonny . By tools I mean stability , a good base , a good team , and good structure and support , the rest is down to the rider and he knows he is the one that has to press on the pedals .

One thing I do believe is that he has the engine , any rider capable of a 3rd place in a world road championship has the motor .Shane is the key influencer in our decision to support Jonny (and Jake) and the Christina team gives us a perfect route to give UK riders in this season and seasons beyond an entry point into some good racing . I am sure Shane backing Jonny is led by sentimentality and loyalty , but this is what defines Shane as a great person , coach and leader and those are good traits for us to look to support and endorse.

Historically as a company we were only ever able to support riders to top domestic level , even Ryan Mullen who we supported a few years back when he reached the top of the UK we as a company couldnt offer anything after that so we hope the Christina team gives us an ability to get back into supporting UK riders throughout their careers from juniors through to seniors and beyond.

The first riders I sponsored in circa 1989 were two junior riders John Tanner and Wayne Randle , then along the years Mark Lovatt , Ray Eden , Kev Dawson , Ian Stannard , Adam Blythe , Paul Curran, Gary Speight , and many more, and over the past 30 years we have helped a lot and in many cases the riders have contributed hugely to our success as a business so this is a welcome return to us to get back to what we love doing .

Chapeau to you sir. You are a good man in a very difficult sport when it comes to sponsorship and support
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    It's nice to get some personal, behind the scenes, information. It's easy to frown at the team, but this shows that behind the headlines there are real people trying their best.
    Well done to Planet X and good luck to the guys.
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    inseine wrote:
    It's nice to get some personal, behind the scenes, information. It's easy to frown at the team, but this shows that behind the headlines there are real people trying their best.
    Well done to Planet X and good luck to the guys.

+1

Hopefully Dave will be able to give us some updates as the season progresses. A month ago, my opinion of the team wouldn't have been particularly positive, but I'm glad my mind has been changed - always good to see a team taking steps in the right direction. Best of luck to all.
  • Sadly Johnny has announced his retirement from pro cycling. Saying his body can't reach the level of before. Sad story. http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/british-olympian-jonny-bellis-retires-from-professional-cycling-aged-27-202891?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    That's a real shame, but seemingly inevitable. Big kudos to the guy for persevering till now and for taking the brave decision.

All the best to him.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    That's a real shame, but seemingly inevitable. Big kudos to the guy for persevering till now and for taking the brave decision.

All the best to him.

Absolutely amen to that.
    For most of us, the slipping away of childhood dreams is a private thing: to have to make an emphatic declaration to the public about it is tough.