Johnny Bellis

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited December 2015 in Pro race
Contract with Christina watches ?

Comments

• dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Have Christina Watches been "rehabilitated" or are they still viewed as being as dirty as Lindsay Lohan ?

I mean, Ricco's brother-in-law; Gavazzi; Baliani ???

It's hardly a roster of angels is it, never mind their history ?
  • Has the Lindsey Lohan measurement of filth now become a meme? Excellent

I trust CMO as far as I can throw 'em

Not to mention Bo Hamburger
  • Contract with Christina watches ?

Yes it appears so. I sincerely hope he can make a go of it. Bit of a punt (albeit a welcome one ) by CW, I'll be watching his progress/results with interest.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    dsoutar wrote:
    Have Christina Watches been "rehabilitated" or are they still viewed as being as dirty as Lindsay Lohan ?

Hembo, the SD, called them revolutionary, on the press meeting during Rasmussen's confession, in the way they - in the future - they would set up the team in terms of antidoping politics. Not only would they be the leading team against doping, they would also be the leading team for new Danish talents, talents who have struggled to bring their results in the youth ranks to the proffessional races in many years now.

What has happend since that press meeting is the employment of numerous ex-dopers and staff members taking important roles from the Danish talents (Rasmus Guldhammers is good example) in order to make sure CW could win insignificant Continental Circuits in Asia and Africa with questionable competition to say the least..

They are a joke.
  • Thom Thom - out of interest, have you read the Chicken's autobiography?
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Irrespective of the reputation of the team I hope he manages to show his ability and move onto bigger and better things. He certainly deserves credit for sticking with it, when many would've probably just retired from the sport and moved on with life. Whenever I think of him I also think of another Brit who appeared to have great potential, Tom Faiers. From memory he had some heart related issues, ended up going to a team in the US, where he barely raced at all, and now appears to be retired.
  • Here's the rider roster:

ANDERSEN, Asbjørn Kragh (Den)
    BALIANI, Fortunato (Ita)
    BELLIS, Jonathan (GBr)
    FORKE, Sebastian (Ger)
    GARBY, Marc Christian (Den)
    GAVAZZI, Mattia (Ita)
    KAMP, Alexander (Den)
    POULSEN, Jonas (Den)
    ROSSI, Enrico (Ita)
    SCHUMACHER, Stefan (Ger)
    SøRENSEN, Jimmi (Den)
    TANNER, Jake (GBr)
    WANG, Emil (Den)
    ZABALLA, Constantino (Esp)
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Here's the rider roster:

BALIANI, Fortunato (Ita)
    BELLIS, Jonathan (GBr)
    FORKE, Sebastian (Ger)
    GAVAZZI, Mattia (Ita)
    KAMP, Alexander (Den)
    POULSEN, Jonas (Den)
    ROSSI, Enrico (Ita)
    SCHUMACHER, Stefan (Ger)
    SøRENSEN, Jimmi (Den)
    TANNER, Jake (GBr)
    WANG, Emil (Den)

Didn't realise that Jake Tanner was riding for them too. Son of legendary hard man, John.
  • I hope he has a good year, but fear he will never be the rider he once was, hope he proves me wrong though! As for the team they may be not be the best but if they get him rides into several UCI races where he can show what he is capable of then it could be a good choice. Maybe the aggressive style in Belgium no longer suits him
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    inseine wrote:
    Here's the rider roster:

BALIANI, Fortunato (Ita)
    BELLIS, Jonathan (GBr)
    FORKE, Sebastian (Ger)
    GAVAZZI, Mattia (Ita)
    KAMP, Alexander (Den)
    POULSEN, Jonas (Den)
    ROSSI, Enrico (Ita)
    SCHUMACHER, Stefan (Ger)
    SøRENSEN, Jimmi (Den)
    TANNER, Jake (GBr)
    WANG, Emil (Den)

Didn't realise that Jake Tanner was riding for them too. Son of legendary hard man, John.

John Tanner's son is now a pro? I feel old!!
  • I hope he has a good year, but fear he will never be the rider he once was, hope he proves me wrong though! As for the team they may be not be the best but if they get him rides into several UCI races where he can show what he is capable of then it could be a good choice. Maybe the aggressive style in Belgium no longer suits him
    Maybe signing with this particular team is a last throw of the dice.
    Maybe signing with this particular team is a last throw of the dice.

I think that is the case . Unfortunately I don't think Johnny has finished that many races, if any, in the last couple of years.
    @JaunePeril

• rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    ThomThom wrote:
    dsoutar wrote:

Hembo, the SD, called them revolutionary, on the press meeting during Rasmussen's confession, in the way they - in the future - they would set up the team in terms of antidoping politics. Not only would they be the leading team against doping, they would also be the leading team for new Danish talents, talents who have struggled to bring their results in the youth ranks to the proffessional races in many years now.

What has happend since that press meeting is the employment of numerous ex-dopers and staff members taking important roles from the Danish talents (Rasmus Guldhammers is good example) in order to make sure CW could win insignificant Continental Circuits in Asia and Africa with questionable competition to say the least..

They are a joke.

Some of that sounds familiar
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Enlighten me.

(I think I might regret this..)
  • It was following a strong push by Shane Sutton that we decided to help Jonny Bellis . I have a huge amount of respect and find Shane Sutton one of the most inspiring people involved in British cycling and he asked me to help Johnny in this stage of his comeback .

Shane is a very big supporter of Johnny and a very loyal coach , friend and mentor , whilst many have dropped away Shane has been unstinting in his support , both emotional and coaching wise to try to help Johnny overcome his accident . This impressed me greatly .

Johnny has the commonwealth games as a mid season target , and the Christina deal came along at the same time , following our acquisition of Viner bikes and with Jamie Burrow working on the relaunch in Italy for the past year , coupled with the Italian riders we put all the pieces togethor and Christina team riding viner bikes with four Italians , 6 or so Danes , and two Brits is an interesting project albeit with compromises .

Yes there are some flawed riders in the team with questionable pasts , just as Jonathan Vaughters was bang at it and now runs his own team , its going to be hard in the current climate to put togethor a team with experienced riders at the helm that have a blemish free past . Its a bit of a misfit team but if they bond well they could form a good unit , certainly last week in Denmark everyone seemed relaxed and eager for the season ahead . I hope they will get the chances they are entitled to .

I sponsored John Tanner back in the day to many victories including two national titles , here was one of the best riders of his generation (in the words of Shane THE best british rider of that generation) and so we are happy to also give Jake a break and get him a ride as well , he has been plugging away in Belgium riding kermesse after kermesse running himself into the ground . He is a good strong rouleur just lacking a bit of focus and direction , Jamie Burrow will help him with coaching and Jake should come on nicely .

Jake and Johnny will be based in Tuscany and Alberto Elli will help look after them .
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Good open appraisal, thanks mate. Fingers crossed for 2 Brits.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Nice insight thanks Dave. Couple of bad boys in the team so hope they've got and keep a clean slate.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Thanks for the candid response. Good luck and hopefully the people referred to above have learnt their lessons and moved on
  • inseine
    It sounds like Planet X are helping support the team through Viner bikes. It's a nice old brand but IMO it would've be cool if they'd just let them ride Planet X bikes. I think they'd have got lots more support for the PX brand.
  • Viner is a very strong Italian brand , with the likes of Alberto Elli involved and with Viner bikes all being made and painted in Italy it was a much better choice .

It was also very much a last minute deal cobbled togethor in a week and we had the top end pro level Italian made Viner tube to tube frames sat in the paintshop ready to paint . Jamie Burrow and myself have been working pretty much flat out for the past 8 months on re-setting up the Viner production so it was the culmination of a decent block of work and just felt better to put the team on Viner .

They will be using , testing , developping a lot of planet x products - helmets , baselayers , 365 clothing range , so we hope that will filter through to even better products across the planet x range .
  • inseine
    Viner is a very strong Italian brand , with the likes of Alberto Elli involved and with Viner bikes all being made and painted in Italy it was a much better choice .

It was also very much a last minute deal cobbled togethor in a week and we had the top end pro level Italian made Viner tube to tube frames sat in the paintshop ready to paint . Jamie Burrow and myself have been working pretty much flat out for the past 8 months on re-setting up the Viner production so it was the culmination of a decent block of work and just felt better to put the team on Viner .

They will be using , testing , developping a lot of planet x products - helmets , baselayers , 365 clothing range , so we hope that will filter through to even better products across the planet x range .

My comments were pro Planet X rather than anti Viner :D
    I was at our new local track here in Paris at the weekend and saw 3 or 4 Planet X track frames. They're quite popular over here.
  • Good to see him riding again. He didn't seem to get many races with AN Post? Is he back to A1? Must have worked hard in the winter.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    Great to see Viner bikes back, it was sad when they disappeared as they really were lovely proper hand made bikes.
  • Good to see him riding again. He didn't seem to get many races with AN Post? Is he back to A1? Must have worked hard in the winter.

he rode with Belgie amateur squad Illi bikes last year not sure if he was even in the mix for 1.12b kermesses though?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    They say he hates jazz.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194

Great interview, I really hope it works out for him.
  • There is a few IOM guys on here, anyone know what kind of results he was getting last year?
  • There is a few IOM guys on here, anyone know what kind of results he was getting last year?

None to my knowledge, he didn't race domestically last year. He turned out for the Hamper race just after Christmas but DNF'd.
    @JaunePeril

• gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    r0bh wrote:

Great interview, I really hope it works out for him.

Likewise.

The Viner looks very nice too.