Vulcan build

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
edited June 2017 in Your mountain bikes
I was given a frame yesterday as the previous no longer wanted it or the fork so I took it off their hands.

At first I thought it was another kraken but think its a Vulcan (rear dérailleur cable is routed under chainstay not down seat stay) is that right for Vulcan?

Anyway I think I'm going to sand it down and build it up either as a work hack or for the wife it's a very small frame not sure of actual size.

Questions; what bottom bracket type is it? And what headset should I get? Both currently missing.

The forks that are with it appear to be leaking slightly can they be serviced they are a Suntour of some description

Comments

• Think fork is XCM 100mm travel
  • Made a start on the sanding as paint was in bad nick

087CD551-3AFC-4B6A-B939-2631662623DE-3219-00000576093C091B_zpse0d9049c.jpg

F26CBA64-574D-42D5-A385-EAE8620E3C27-3219-00000576173DEC05_zpsf2f840eb.jpg

336290E5-BE86-4204-9500-EDF8AC9D4F96_zps7zraplne.jpg
  • Please excuse the state of my garage
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    The bottom bracket there is a square taper, however if you remove it, you can fit whatever you like. It'll be a standard 68/73mm BB shell.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    The bottom bracket there is a square taper, however if you remove it, you can fit whatever you like. It'll be a standard 68/73mm BB shell.

Thank you do you think I should just replace what's there or get external? Would it be advisable to get it faced for external? There are a Few marks around the edges I think.

The BB may be ok but think I'd rather replace it
  • ilovedirt
    Depends what cranks you want to put on there... If it's a hack bike, i'd be tempted to leave it and get a cheapo square taper crankset myself.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    Depends what cranks you want to put on there... If it's a hack bike, i'd be tempted to leave it and get a cheapo square taper crankset myself.

I'll check the current one out thanks it may be ok - it needs taking out for painting anyway.

Anyone got any tips for removing paint from the welds please?
  • ilovedirt
    Paint stripper, a wire brush, and patience. Done this a couple of times, the welds are always the worst bits. Paint stripper these days isn't as good as it used to be, i used B&Q's own brand stuff just on the tricky bits (used emery cloth for the easy bits) and a wire brush, takes a good while, and a few attempts to get it all off. Be fairly liberal with the paint stripper.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Vulcan and kraken frames are identical under the paint! both use BB routed gear cables.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The kraken I have has rearech cable running down the seat stay the Vulcan runs around bb and along the chain stay - maybe it's a year thing. Either way got 2 projects to do :-D. Vulcan first as a practise (work hack on slicks or wife's bike) kraken for me until I convince myself about a full susser
  • The Rookie
    The Kraken must be older, since they went BB routed they have stayed that way to the end of that frame design.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    The Rookie wrote:
    Vulcan and kraken frames are identical under the paint! both use BB routed gear cables.

My Vulcan is not the same as my cousins kraken of the same year :-)
  • The Rookie
    What is different then?
  • zx6man
    For the same size frame the top tube is more sloped and braced on the kraken, my vulcan doesn't.
    Where the top tube and downtube attaxched the headtube is different. Both were bought new in 2010 iirc.
    The vengeance of 2010 is the same as the kraken though. Yes, 2010 was the year myself and the 2 others went on a get fit crusade :-)
  • The Rookie
    They changed over in 2010 to the braced frame, there may have been a lag on some models, or one may have been a 2009 bike sold in 2010, they were the same in 2009 and 2011!
  • It makes no difference which it is to me, but it would be nice to know definitely. I'll get more pics up when it's stripped but no idea of year.

I'd like to know but it still needs stripping painting and building - going to try source parts (need everything) as cheap as poss, so if anyone knows of any bits and bobs available at bargain prices please let me know.

Thanks
  • zx6man
    08 kraken has the black frame and the peak spec graphics on the seatstays, looking at bikelist btw
  • The Rookie
    It makes no difference which it is to me, but it would be nice to know definitely. I'll get more pics up when it's stripped but no idea of year.

I'd like to know but it still needs stripping painting and building - going to try source parts (need everything) as cheap as poss, so if anyone knows of any bits and bobs available at bargain prices please let me know.
    The grey plasticoated frame in the photo's above could be a 2006 Kraken or Vulcan, impossible to tell (and no difference under the name) from those pics, not sure if that colour was 05-06 or 06-07 though, mine was the same colour originally.

I have a big old pile of bits, PM me with what you need!
  • I pretty much need everything rookie!!

Are the xcm fork serviceable do you know?
  • The Rookie
    XCM fork is very serviceable, depends what needs fixing whether it is worth it or not, stripping off the lowers, cleaning and re-greasing the bushes and stanchions and refitting can make a hug difference and takes about 15 minutes.
  • Looks like there may some oil leaking on to one of the stanchions. Any instructions anywhere?
  • The Rookie
    On SRSuntours website!

No oil can leak from the stanchion seals as there is no oil present, may well be the lube grease from the bushings, perfectly normal.
  • Sweet cheers Rookie!!
  • Tackling the forks today!!
  • The Rookie
    I'd say good luck, but they are as easy as they come to do, so you won't need it!
  • Didn't get forks done :-( didn't have a tool to undo preload. Although just the preload adjuster screw lifts out is it bust?

Thinking of wheels and brakes as smashed my set in dalby yesterday - CRASH!

As only for mrs or work hack thinking shimano acera hydraulic and shimano mt15 wheels. Thoughts?

The wheels say 8 spd compatible so should fit with my ageing XT 8 spd, right? The brake rotors are centre lock so assuming shimano centre lock wheels means all should ok.
  • The Rookie
    You don't need to undo the preload, just remove the lowers, clean the bushing, regrease and refit!

Will fit, yes, yup, should be OK, though I prefer 6 bolt as parts are more readily available.

Have some Auriga comp brakes and other bits coming off an 'old' bike soon.....
  • Cheers rookie. How soon? ;-)
  • Started on forks - they were full of water!!

Can't get preload undone but got lowers off for cleaning and given them a good soak in tf2.

I've taken a pic of the preload dial it lifts up but still seems to work. Is this a problem??

CE22106E-1DC1-4639-B472-D020B37AB776_zpsytxokxbt.jpg