Periodisation

PuttyKnees
PuttyKnees Posts: 381
I've been reading around and I'm confused about periodisation and whether it is beneficial. I race mostly MTB and cyclocross, but train predominantly on the road. If I follow Friel for example, he would recommend tailoring towards my A races (which would be CX), but this of course would mean that my spring and summer are a down period and it seems a waste to lose half a year of not being particularly fit.

I'm also curious - Friel admits in his book that there's no scientific evidence for periodisation working. So what does the science say I should do to do well in both the MTB and the CX seasons - set up an annual year plan that peaks twice for MTB and CX? Or should I ditch any notion of periodisation and just be fit all the time?

Comments

• The peaks suggested in Friels book aren't the only time you should be racing. You can race all through both build phases. If I were you I'd probably take a week or 2 off after the xc ends, repeat base 3 then go into the cross racing in the build phases, working them through and peaking just like before. Time permitting of course.

However, Im training with Friels book for the first time this season, so I don't know how well the periodisation stuff will work. But Im quite enjoying the training at the minute, and enjoying ramping up the intensity steadily. Early days, but I'm feeling pretty good on the bike, and quietly confident for the coming season.
  • Define periodisation?

For me it's just breaking up the season/year into blocks of time (usually a number of weeks) for which you are emphasising a particular priority or priorities, be it racing or a bit of recovery, or a specific element of fitness development, or skill etc that is needed to prepare you for the priorities ahead. It's no more than complex than doing some planning for your goals and allocating blocks of time to work on those things.

The skill of course is in working out what you should emphasise, when and for how long.
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    If the intensity is the same all year round you may experience stagnation. I'm not convinced you would make significant breakthroughs in fitness if the training isnt phased with focus on continuous improvement week on week. Personally I find Friel's training program a bit dull and dislike the lack of any intensity in the base periods. Having said that Joe Friels bible was great for providing an insight into structured training and I learnt a huge amount from the book.
    Check out David Morris's Performance Cycling book. Similar in some ways but I found it simpler (hence the number of pages!). However without being familiar with the Joe Friel stuff maybe it wouldn't have been so clear.
  • Thanks for the responses, insights and recommendations.

Alex - I'm not sure I can define periodisation, other than the programme which Joe Friel specifies. I wouldn't say I'm confused by the concept, more by the execution and whether it works or not. It seems to me that he is predicating his recommended programme (or more strictly, method) on riders who compete in the summer, and largely do not do so in the winter. If your interests are CX and MTB, then this is a bit turned around, plus the added complication of two foci per year. Plus as you say, if you're not sure what to emphasise when, it'll be a bit moot anyway!

Well anyway, I sat down and split the year into two seasons and split each into periods that seemed appropriate. I guess I'll see if it works soon enough!