Carbon clinchers a good idea?

2»

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    northpole wrote:
    I have a set of R-Sys wheels, the carbon spokes on those haven't yet exploded, but I suppose there is a risk they may do so.

I was referring to the tyres exploding, which is fairly common if carbon clincher rims are used inappropriately. Your spokes won't explode.... they might pop, but they won't explode... :wink:

Common? I bet you've got little or nothing to back up such a claim.
    More problems but still living....
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    The most common failure mode for carbon clinchers (which has been widely reported) is delamination of the braking surface due to temperature. This can cause the tyre to blow off the rim in some cases.

Fancy, newer wheels from the big names are supposed to be less prone to this. You pays your money etc. etc.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    This is a good piece btw: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/a ... afe-34521/

I wouldn't have too much hesitation in buying something from the likes of Enve, if you're dead set on a deep section wheel. The issue that would concern me most with something like the Enves is braking performance in the wet, not problems from overheating.
  • amaferanga wrote:

Do you also have a "non nasty mode"?

It happened to my wife on alloy clinchers coming down the Col de Joux and it did happen to a friend of mine during a stage of a German race. With carbon is just more likely as it's worse than alloy at dissipating heat
    left the forum March 2023
  • northpole wrote:
    I have a set of R-Sys wheels, the carbon spokes on those haven't yet exploded, but I suppose there is a risk they may do so.

I was referring to the tyres exploding, which is fairly common if carbon clincher rims are used inappropriately. Your spokes won't explode.... they might pop, but they won't explode... :wink:

How can a rim be used "inappropriately? Used as a seatpost? Or handlebars? Yes, there are stories of tyres exploding after the sidewalls of carbon clinchers have overheated but, and lets be honest here, we don't really have the descents here that warrant being on the brakes for most of it. And, if a rider's on the brakes just riding round Surrey then perhaps cycling isn't for them full stop.
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    amaferanga wrote:

Do you also have a "non nasty mode"?

It happened to my wife on alloy clinchers coming down the Col de Joux and it did happen to a friend of mine during a stage of a German race. With carbon is just more likely as it's worse than alloy at dissipating heat

Do you have a "non argumentative mode"?
  • Guys, I offered my advice, I am not interested in having personal arguments... I frankly don't care
    left the forum March 2023
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    As far as I'm aware, most of the stories of tyres exploding on carbon clinchers are due to the owners fitting latex inner tubes (when carbon clincher manufacturers explicitly advise against them) and then using the wheels on prolonged fast decents.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Fortunatley I roll around Suffolk no chance of overheating my carbon rims.

Are 50mm deep carbon rims better than a alloy rim of the same weight (like an archetype) well it all depends on what you are doing with them. Over long fast rides they will enable you to go a little faster (a little mind) than you would otherwise. On slower rides there is still a benefit as the reduction in drag coefficent is the same regardless of speed it is just the the power saved is different, it can be shown that the time saved over a set course is still significant for lower power/slower rider in fact there was a thread about this last year which demonstrated this.

In the races I will be doing you can bet I will be using them but for training rides though I will be on my higher spoke count clinchers or tubulars (training should not be easy).

Carbon wheels have there place and I think that is mainly on flatish rides or rolling hills rides for vanity purposes (lets be honest with our selves here) or for serious racing. You should be able to have fun with them on drier roads and use your fulcrums on wetter days. This does not mean this is what you the OP should do but you could do it. No right and wrongs here just choices.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Guys, I offered my advice, I am not interested in having personal arguments... I frankly don't care

It does make me smile when people post that they "don't care" but have cared enough to type something.
  • Fortunatley I roll around Suffolk no chance of overheating my carbon rims.

Are 50mm deep carbon rims better than a alloy rim of the same weight (like an archetype) well it all depends on what you are doing with them. Over long fast rides they will enable you to go a little faster (a little mind) than you would otherwise. On slower rides there is still a benefit as the reduction in drag coefficent is the same regardless of speed it is just the the power saved is different, it can be shown that the time saved over a set course is still significant for lower power/slower rider in fact there was a thread about this last year which demonstrated this.

In the races I will be doing you can bet I will be using them but for training rides though I will be on my higher spoke count clinchers or tubulars (training should not be easy).

Carbon wheels have there place and I think that is mainly on flatish rides or rolling hills rides for vanity purposes (lets be honest with our selves here) or for serious racing. You should be able to have fun with them on drier roads and use your fulcrums on wetter days. This does not mean this is what you the OP should do but you could do it. No right and wrongs here just choices.

That's what I wanted, can see your point, think on balance alloy is best, would save me £200 plus I don't have to worry about them!