Nutrition for coeliacs.

lemuppet
lemuppet Posts: 77
Hi all,

I have recently been diagnosed with coeliac disease, so looking for advice into any brands of energy drinks, gels etc that folks can recommend that are gluten free.

Any other coeliacs here?

Thanks in advance

Tim

Comments

• Torq a wheat free but do contain oat gluten, which some people are fine some are not.
    http://www.celiac.com/categories/Celiac ... 2dFree%3F/

(Torq Bars)

Suitable for vegans
    Wheat free
    Dairy free
    Contains oat gluten
    No nuts in recipe, but nuts may be handled on the factory premises.

Alex
    I do science, sometimes.
  • Was diagnosed 2 weeks ago myself. I've got a list of stuff from sis which I'll post later. Also been using naked bars and other cereal bars (gluten free) found in the gf section of supermarkets.

It's a minefield tho eh?
  • Thanks for the replies so far.

Not sure what oat gluten is so will have to look into that, though generally if it isn't guaranteed as being gluten free I am told it is best to avoid it. I've had to bin the energy drink I've been using as although it doesn't include any ingredients that contain gluten, there is a disclaimer that it might be contaminated due to where it is made.

It certainly is a minefield, lots of things with cross contamination possibilities, gluten in foods where you never would have imagined you would find it and the whole thing not made any easier by having to translate ingredient lists from French. The local supermarkets do have basics such as bread and pasta, but no cereal bars unfortunately, seems we're lagging behind the UK over here.

Not being able to drink beer is proving good for the waistline though!
  • The large Tesco extra's, have a 'free from' range, some what small depending on location, even the Co-op are introducing a 'free from' range as well.

Try there if you can, they sell naked bars 4 in a pack £1.90 last time I was there: do have a look at sourcing your own ingredients and make them from scratch, somewhat more of a ball ache, but you can be sure that cross contamination is limited, also do the same for your energy drinks with a range of mix's out on the web.

slightly of topic the best gluten free bread I have found is 'genius bread' best my far IMO.

From what I understand and that link does say that oat gluten is deemed to be OK for %95 of coeliacs, again with regards to the Torq stuff, just email them, they will come back to you.

http://www.torqfitness.co.uk/local-cgi/ ... nfo%2ehtml
    I do science, sometimes.
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks for the link to Torq products, I've emailed them to ask if they have anything suitable for coeliacs.

I live in France and the supermarkets here are way behind in having what is available in the UK by way of gluten free products. Organic shops have a larger range, and I'm happy to make up my own bars or drinks, but the cost of ingredients guaranteed as gluten free is so astronomical it makes even the dearest drinks and gels look like a bargain.
  • Thank you for getting in contact with Science in Sport. Please see below a list of our products that are suitable for Coeliac Suffers:
    GO Energy
    GO Electrolyte
    GO Hydro
    GO Hydro + Caffeine
    GO Isotonic Gels
    GO + Caffeine Gel
    GO + Carnitine Gel
    GO + Nitrate Gel
    REGO Fruitflow Gel
    REGO Rapid Recovery (Soy Based

Hope this helps, I've got an appointment with dietician sometime soon...hopefully they can enlighten me further, I'll share any info I get.

The laws in France should be the same as it's an EU directive. Apparently Italy and Spain are good (worried about my next cycling holiday)...
  • Cheers for that bigcgilmour, SiS have a good range of products there.

Torq replied really quickly to my question, and everything they have is gluten free, apart from all energy bars that contain not only oat gluten as Alex said, but also traces of barley flour which makes them a no no for me.

The laws here are the same regarding the labelling of ingredients, just have to be really careful reading them. I fell foul a couple of weeks ago with some chicken stock, the UK version is gluten free but the French one from the same brand isn't, like you say, a minefield!
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Natural foods are probably best. Dates, bananas, Dr. Lims rice cakes are all a good shout. You can also make your own energy bars with gluten free oats.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Just found these: http://www.thresholdprovisions.com/

Might be difficult to source in the UK...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    A great breakfast I make for my nephew who has a very severe coeliac condition. Take a couple of eggs and a chopped banana or two and mix it all up before popping dollops of the mix in the frying pan. It makes nice breakfast pancakes but you could easily package them up, vary the ingredients and take them out with you on the bike.
  • Tom3 my mother in law just gave me this pancake recipe she got from a dietician or somesuch...defo going to give it a try...

Grill thanks for link, will contact to see if they can send...just about to add chia seeds to my diet heard and read good things about them