Carbon frame now with pics etc

bawgixer
bawgixer Posts: 71
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Has anyone got,tryed or have any info on the Sab arco frames. Are they any good/bad seems not bad price
Cheers paul

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRMTBARCOC/sab_arco_frame

Comments

• DrDeal
    DrDeal Posts: 8
    I've just completed a build based on this frame, as they were being sold off cheaper on Ebay.

Some good and bad points from my experience:

Bad stuff:
    There are a few visual imperfections in the carbon fibre below the gloss but these are not particularly noticeable.
    The aluminium fittings are very soft - I had problems with the BB thread despite being VERY careful. Also the rear mech hanger nearly crossthreaded. The headset cups don't look particularly 'beefy'.
    Weight for 20" is 1600g.
    Cabling is on the underside of the top tube, which may be a consideration if you intend to shoulder it a lot - e.g. for cyclocross
    No documentation - on your own for sizing and fitting etc.

Good stuff:
    It's a carbon frame for £165
    Built up no problem (apart from thread issues)
    Geometry is pretty neutral - I had no problem setting up my desired position despite the unconventional look.
    Very stylised design - looks much better than photos and builds into a very nice looking bike
    Nice and stiff - lots of reinforcement around important areas. The BB area is very built up, as is seat and headstock area. I don't expect any breakages and a few hundred grams extra was worthwhile for me (as a heavier rider).
    Disc and V brake mounts

If you have any specific questions I may be able to help further.
  • Cheers Drdeal.
    Found as u say in eBay for £164.
    Should be here tomorrow,looking to run 100mm travel rockshoxs dual-air up front.
    Have a Xt/saint group set to put on.
    Dt Swiss wheels set.

What size seat post does in have.
    Is it a short head stock,what length fork steerer is needed.
    Are u leaving urs the bare carbon look or decals on it.
    Thanks Paul
  • Do have any pics of ur build.
  • DrDeal
    That will make a sweet ride. I didn't measure the steerer length but I'm running those carboncycles carbon forks on mine and I had to chop it down quite a bit so I guess it's not too long. Seatpost is 31.6.

Bare carbon look is the only way for me, except for my name on the frame of course haha.

I can look into getting photographs up if anyone's interested.
  • I would be interesting in seeing pictures of this frame built up
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • Cheers for reply
  • Hi Guys
    Perhaps you could be a bit more useful than On-one who can't answer any of my questions.
    How long is the top tube?
    I guess it will take a standard 1 1/8 headset?
    And as I have found out already from this thread it takes a 31.6mm seat post, I guess it will take a 34.9mm front mech clamp?
    Can anyone confirm this.
    Many thanks
    James
  • Mine arrived today,but not had time to check it over fully.I'll get to it tonight after work.
    I will give a full list of frame measurements/weight etc
  • DrDeal
    Yes seat clamp and front mech is 34.9 top swing, not sure how to measure top tube as it's on a curve. The headset is indeed 1.1/8

I also found planetx / on one couldn't tell me anything, maybe these frames were leftovers from an old SAB warehouse somewhere that nobody knew about.
  • Frame out the box weight 1.5kg or 3.4lbs.
    Top tube 23"
    Seat tube 20"
    Down tube 26"
    Head tube 5 1/2"
    Chain stays 17"
    34.9 front mech fits as seat tube seems to taper down in size.

75DAE50E-83FB-49D3-9BD5-53FD1C200B91_zpszx5jafqm.jpg

8603D865-DC27-45B7-8B93-B9629CEB939F_zpsscmbmiey.jpg

B893BFB5-B3DF-4AF0-8958-6499CDE24703_zpss1kbv5a7.jpg

C0A433F4-02C5-4E74-9898-7B8860BE873F_zps4c0km7ze.jpg

A3FA659C-F266-40ED-B4AC-FF43B9A2C380_zpsumovrsfc.jpg
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Reminds me of a Corratec Superbow... and odd to see v-brake mounts/bosses on a frame these days. Post pics when she's fully built please.

You can measure the effective top tube length, the horizontal distance between the centre of the seattube and the centre of the headtube - http://www.bikecad.ca/effective_top_tube_length
  • It's looking good - are you going to have it all black - stealth look?
    Did you have any problems with soft aluminium threads like DrDeal did?
    Also, what type of headset does it take - your pics look like it's integrated?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cricket that BB looks high in that pic, very distinctive frame there.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • My brother does the Hydrodipping and was thinking May do part of the frame in some design using that.
    Possibly red seat clamp and headset to tye in with the rims.
    No problems with the threads as I ran a tap through to clean the rear mech hanger.
    BB threads were fine.
    Not sure on what headset I be going for yet,sent DrDeal a message to see what he's fitted.
  • DrDeal
    Here's one I made earlier... (budget was £500)

SabArco.jpg
  • DrDeal
    A quick comment after some riding today. The headtube angle is slacker than I'm used to, resulting in a slower steering response but I don't have any problem working with that.

As the Rookie mentioned, BB is high. I will experiment by repositioning the seat forwards so I can lift the seatpost a little. As it stands, the seat feels a little low compared to my road bikes although set exactly the same.

I found ride quality to be very compliant, it feels more supple than my ally framed bikes with locked out susp and it's on skinny tires at this time. I didn't feel any flex through BB, and got the sense of 'direct drive' that I like. Overall it's turned out well and should serve me well for what I want it to do.

Full bike weight as photographed is 10.5kg, but I have plenty of places to chop weight when my budget recovers.
  • Looks Mintd
  • DrDeal
    Thanks Bawgixer, keep us updated on how yours progresses :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looks good, geometry a little quirky, but as I always say, is what you like. For the money though, hard to beat, lighter than many new alu frames for the same money. I like it.
  • Few more bits added waiting on new seat clamp,post,carbon bars/stem,headset and grips.
    Chain still to go on and trim a few cables then set her up.

0C377397-4581-41F9-A467-2B05853C026F_zpsisvuupef.jpg

6FDE09C8-E988-49EE-A9E8-3BBB4BA26CD8_zpsacknvm1d.jpg
  • nick1962
    nick1962 Posts: 156
    Is the 20 inch size quoted by On One from the centre of the bottom bracket to the top tube ?
  • Nick 1962
    20" measured on the frame shown id BB centre to the top of the seat tube
  • nick1962
    Cheers for the quick response bawgixer.I'm 5ft 9in so I'm guessing standover should be fine for me?
  • I'm 5'10 inside leg of 32" and the old nut sack got plenty of breathing space :D
  • nick1962
    Cheers again,depends on the size of the sack I suppose :)
    http://i.imgur.com/GFNem6k.jpg
  • Good job on that, did you have a chance to see how it runs already?

Too bad it seems like prices of PlanetX stuff are going up again...
  • Ha I noticed that the frame creeping up in price.
    Not had run yet,wait on a few bits still so it's flung together with mix n match stuff just now,
    But it is is fully working.

BC5E44FA-8345-4D17-8C82-CE76A4BB4798_zpsf3iggjbm.jpg
  • Think I found a use for the V-brake mounts :D

1ABD7C47-552C-4718-A2E6-D1F16D47B1D0_zpsk2ncxism.jpg
  • It's even better than before, has 'custom ride' written all over :D

Liking the gopro mount - haven't seen one like that before
  • I've just ordered one of these even with the lack of info from Planet X!

Does it come with any sort of headset fittings as standard?