Good rainproof jersey with excellent breathability ?

Comments

• Gore addict here!

http://www.tgstore.eu/oxygen-jacket-p-3489.html RRP £199.99

Use loyalcust2012 in the discount code on checkout. For a further 10% total £134.99 :D

Great jacket , can roll it up to put in back pocket of jersey. Does the job very well , unless it's absolutely pissing down , in which case you'll need a bin liner.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    ricky1980 wrote:
    But to be fair, i really don't think the breathability will help you much if you are dedicated enough to go out in pouring rain, i.e. you are training or doing hard work. therefore you are going to be oozing the wet stuff, so chances are you are going to get moist under the jacket.

This is my view and it was stated early on in the discussion I linked to, but then people disagreed.

Still I know that we are right. :mrgreen:

To those of you who think this does not apply - you are not putting in enough effort :D
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    To much of an obsession with keeping dry. People need to just accept that if they are outside they will at some stage encounter some rain. Once they get that in their heads, everything will be fine.
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    Garry H wrote:
    To much of an obsession with keeping dry. People need to just accept that if they are outside they will at some stage encounter some rain. Once they get that in their heads, everything will be fine.

i think the problem is getting soaked in current temperature range will likely cause pneumonia if you keep on riding for more than an hour...
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Which is why the Gabba makes sense as it's more likely to keep you warm, even if you get damp inside the garment in a downpour - also more breathable than most jackets so more comfortable in a wider range of temps and conditions....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • I wore a LS Gabba in a sportive with temps hovering around 6-7C that ended up being torrential throughout. The Gabba was great and warm despite being soaked through... until I punctured. I froze to death trying to replace my tube and ended up pulling out with a big fat DNF.:(

Wonder if it would have been different with some type of GoreTex or eVent type shell instead!
  • Garry H
    ricky1980 wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

i think the problem is getting soaked in current temperature range will likely cause pneumonia if you keep on riding for more than an hour...

So what you need is something that keeps the wind off you, and breathes a bit better, rather than something that says it will keep you dry, but won't.
  • Garry H

Wonder if it would have been different with some type of GoreTex or eVent type shell instead!

Probably not.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Dont know how anyone could call the Gore Phantom breathable - I got one and rarely wear it because it makes me sweat even when its really cold and even with the arms off.

Loving my Castelli fawesome gilet (same material as Gabba but with no sleeves at all), sooo much more breathable but good as a windstopper and whilst I have yet to try it in serious rain, it has taken freezing fog and all sorts in its stride. So impressed was I with this that I have just received a Gabba convertible - (long & short sleeve Gabba all in one!) from Italy where it was much cheaper than in the UK (still not exactly cheap though...).

I regret buying the Phantom every day and should really get around to selling it.

One of the best purchases I made was a Cannondale Morphis which is a light waterproof which converts into a gilet with mesh back. Cant buy them anymore though - when I lost alot of weight and needed a smaller size, I had to get it from ebay in America and get a relative living over there to take delivery and post it on to me!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The Phantom is warm. At this time of year I just wear a thin, wicking LS baselayer under it and I'm toasty. Baselayer plus merino mid layer only if sub-zero. Last April when it was still very cold I did a sportive (ice on the route in half a dozen places!) and had to whip the sleeves off once I'd properly warmed up.

It is very breathable though. The back panel on mine is like a very fine mesh; you can see through it if you hold it up to the light.
  • This might help.

I have the gore phantom and the castelli gabba short sleeve version.

Couple of points.
    Gore phantom is not waterproof, its resistant, big difference as i have found when cycling.
    I use the gore phantom when im commuting to work ect but wouldnt wear it on a proper bike ride as its not very breathable at all.

The gabba is AWESOME breathable but its no way waterproof, but resistant(although not as much as gore phantom i may add).

What makes it awesome is that it keeps you warm and you dont get the cold sweats like you do with the phantom. big point to gabba for this.

personally if its really pissing down with rain, id rather wear a gabba with a few layers and get wet through but warm, than wear a totally waterproof jacket and get cold and wet through from the inside out 8)
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Garry H wrote:

Probably not.

So what should I have done? Jog on the spot and do star jumps in between trying to swap my tube? :)
    personally if its really pissing down with rain, id rather wear a gabba with a few layers and get wet through but warm, than wear a totally waterproof jacket and get cold and wet through from the inside out 8)

Until you get a puncture and your soaked Gabba makes you cold whilst you try to replace the tube!
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    The ultimate in keeping dry and sweat free and it ticks the high price box as well

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Brooks-Oxford-Rain-Cape_44850
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Garry H
    Garry H wrote:

Probably not.

So what should I have done? Jog on the spot and do star jumps in between trying to swap my tube? :)

Until you get a puncture and your soaked Gabba makes you cold whilst you try to replace the tube!
    No, just grin and bear it or try an indoor pastime.
  • luv2ride
    Just come back from my first ride in my new Gabba long sleeve, a 20 miler at high pace (well as high a pace as the 20mph winds would allow anyway). Given the conditions I was working quite hard, and the last 7 miles were also in a very heavy downpour which included a fair amount of hail. Wore a long sleeve winter base underneath which kept me very comfortable @ 5-7 degrees.

Have to say that it performed brilliantly, and seems as good as they claim (very windproof, very breathable and pretty water resistant). Was bone dry when got home, no rain had got in, and most importantly for me (a sweaty Bessie), no dampness from within. Very highly recommended :D:D Just wish I'd got one ages ago!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    No. No. No. Buy the Assos RS Sturmprinz - anything less is a false economy.
    It is hand stitched by the last surviving pair of Selkman Indian children from fabrics woven on state-of-the-art monocoque carbon-fibre robotic looms from a blend of synthetic 127-ply nano-tube thread and jaguar gut, this jacket is guaranteed to command approving looks from around the peloton and lithe 23 year old waitresses alike. Waterproof to 30 atmospheres and yet fully breathable, this one-off outer-shell incorporates welded seam ventilated baffles extruded from certified northern Alaska tar-sands petrochemicals. In a nod to cycling history, the gold embossed zipper is hand-cast from the recycled Galmozzi frame, ridden to victory by Fausto Coppi in the 1959 Giro Italia. You won't be disappointed.
  • I have a GORE phantom ,it does make me sweat a lot ,i would say once the sleeves are removed it is more gillet than jersey /jacket ,it does keep you dry in light showers ,,,but gets damp..

I was considering a castelli Gabba but the price is just too much ,so aftera bit of digging around i decided i would try a SANTINI HARU jersey made from aquazero material.

Looked around and found them for sale at less than £50 ,(start-cycles ) i brought a xxxl and fits my 43 inch chest just fine ,,,They have xxxl and xxl in stock.

Had some good reviews ,,,Never worn it yet ,but when i do i will report back :)
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Pearl Izumi P.R.O Barrier Lite is good. I wore mine on a 100km audax on Saturday in wind, rain, hail and just generally awful conditions. It was light, waterproof and I didn't get too hot (mainly because I chose the appropriate layers underneath- LS Torm top and base). I love mine and would recommend them as a great packable jacket.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • luv2ride
    letap73 wrote:
    No. No. No. Buy the Assos RS Sturmprinz - anything less is a false economy.
    It is hand stitched by the last surviving pair of Selkman Indian children from fabrics woven on state-of-the-art monocoque carbon-fibre robotic looms from a blend of synthetic 127-ply nano-tube thread and jaguar gut, this jacket is guaranteed to command approving looks from around the peloton and lithe 23 year old waitresses alike. Waterproof to 30 atmospheres and yet fully breathable, this one-off outer-shell incorporates welded seam ventilated baffles extruded from certified northern Alaska tar-sands petrochemicals. In a nod to cycling history, the gold embossed zipper is hand-cast from the recycled Galmozzi frame, ridden to victory by Fausto Coppi in the 1959 Giro Italia. You won't be disappointed.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Changed my mind on the Gabba now!
  • apreading
    I have a GORE phantom ,it does make me sweat a lot ,i would say once the sleeves are removed it is more gillet than jersey /jacket ,it does keep you dry in light showers ,,,but gets damp..

I was considering a castelli Gabba but the price is just too much ,so aftera bit of digging around i decided i would try a SANTINI HARU jersey made from aquazero material.

Looked around and found them for sale at less than £50 ,(start-cycles ) i brought a xxxl and fits my 43 inch chest just fine ,,,They have xxxl and xxl in stock.

Had some good reviews ,,,Never worn it yet ,but when i do i will report back :)

Got me one of those Haru's from Start cycles - good spot, thanks!

Arrived today and its it looks so thin, stretchy and breathable that it is hard to believe it will stop water! I will take them at their word for now though. Its much lighter material than the Gabba and doesnt feel like it will be a windstopper in the same way. Perfect to plug a gap when it might be too warm for a Gabba though.

Went for the XXXL based on your advice and its about right - the XXL could be a better fit but possibly too tight and they didnt have it anyway. Only have XXXXL and small sizes now!

Cheers
  • ManxJ
    ManxJ Posts: 43
    I've decided I want a gabba but I can't decide between long sleeve and s/s! Any pros and cons?
  • ManxJ wrote:
    I've decided I want a gabba but I can't decide between long sleeve and s/s! Any pros and cons?
    Tough call there but I have short sleeves and this is what I find.

Pro; fantastic all round year top, you can use it in autumn when things get nippy but without sleeves you don't get too hot.
    For my body type I find some jackets have very tight arms so don't fit at all well, so fits better in short sleeve.

I have bought some nano arm warmers ( I know what you might say Lol) but means I can pick and choose depending on weather and allways take them off if get too hot.

Cons, buy whole jacket save money.

Basically try both out if possible but esp long sleeve one as arms tend to be tight with castelli jackets.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • ManxJ
    ManxJ Posts: 43
    ManxJ wrote:
    Tough call there but I have short sleeves and this is what I find.

Pro; fantastic all round year top, you can use it in autumn when things get nippy but without sleeves you don't get too hot.
    For my body type I find some jackets have very tight arms so don't fit at all well, so fits better in short sleeve.

I have bought some nano arm warmers ( I know what you might say Lol) but means I can pick and choose depending on weather and allways take them off if get too hot.

Cons, buy whole jacket save money.

Basically try both out if possible but esp long sleeve one as arms tend to be tight with castelli jackets.

Top man. There is a convertible one but I have no idea how it works. Tough call... I already have nano flex arm warmers and I'm under 70 kilos so Italian sizing doesn't bother me
  • luv2ride
    ManxJ wrote:

The long sleeve has chest vents to help regulate temperature, and the (nanoflex) arm warmers don't tend to be as windproof as the top itself, so probably won't you as warm. Assuming the material is exactly the same (only ever tried my LS version) the short sleeve probably just snatches it for versatility.

One thing to note, they come up slightly different fit for the same size depending which factory they come from. I sent a yellow in medium back as too tight (also tried the large which was way too big). Ended up with a medium again in black and fits like a dream :shock: :?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    menthel wrote:
    Pearl Izumi P.R.O Barrier Lite is good. I wore mine on a 100km audax on Saturday in wind, rain, hail and just generally awful conditions. It was light, waterproof and I didn't get too hot (mainly because I chose the appropriate layers underneath- LS Torm top and base). I love mine and would recommend them as a great packable jacket.
    I'll second that-it also packs away to nothing size, but it's not a jersey which was the original topic.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    I have a GORE phantom ,it does make me sweat a lot ,i would say once the sleeves are removed it is more gillet than jersey /jacket ,it does keep you dry in light showers ,,,but gets damp..

I agree - I wanted a Gabba but couldn't justify the price so went with the Phantom as it was on offer and around half the price of the Gabba.

I sweat like a pig in it ! I went out in the rain on Friday and didn't really notice the difference when I got back from a dry ride as I'm always soaking anyway. Bit disappointed with the 'breathability'.
  • apreading
    Gabba and Phantom are TOTALLY different - Gabba is much thinner but still windproof/water resistant. Even without the sleeves, I cant avoid sweating in my Phantom - even when its cold!
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    I have a Gabba LS and one of the best bits of kit I have bought.
    Whilst they don't stay dry in heavy rain they do stay warm and the rest of the time are very breathable.
    A bit hard to get hold of now until the new designs come in
  • luv2ride
    MikeWW wrote:
    I have a Gabba LS and one of the best bits of kit I have bought.
    Whilst they don't stay dry in heavy rain they do stay warm and the rest of the time are very breathable.
    A bit hard to get hold of now until the new designs come in

The Summer 2014 Castelli catalogue is available to view online. The Gabba looks unchanged for the new season (although have seen they now also do a white version if that's your thing)...
  • apreading
    Got a Gabba convertible from here: http://www.all4cycling.com/shop/en/cast ... 39976.html From Italy but really quick delivery, great company and got mine for only(!) £140 with a New Year voucher. Best of both worlds between the long and short sleeve. Not bad prices even now wthout the voucher and plenty of availability of that and the long/short sleeves.