Max hr

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
Done a quick calc on the Internet brings mine out at 188bpm

Just been on ex bike and struggled to get above 60%.

I thought I was trying enough to get above 60%. Could the max be way out?

It's a second hand hr monitor works fine. Occasionally hr% would hit 61/2% then drop to 57% and even 49%!!

Could this be interference from laptop playing DVD in front of me or mobile nearby? Batteries dying maybe?

Comments

• NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    More likely due to calculated max hr's being shit
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    The only way to find out your max heart rate is to measure it. You have to do strenuous activity until your heart rate stops increasing and record that rate. Any other method will not give you the correct number.
  • Thanks guys just wondering why my heart rate was limited at around 102/4bpm? I wasn't giving it the beans but thought it would have risen??
  • Don't rely on calculators to get your max HR. From your post I'm going to guess you're fairly new to taking cycling seriously as exercise, so apologies if anything I say may sound patronising!

How did you get to your max HR on the bike? Did you do a proper test or just get on and start riding for a few mins to see how high you could get it? That's not going to tell you much at all, especially if you're not used to exercise, you're likely not to be able to judge or stand much intensity as a cycling beginner, to gauge yourself. A very quick search on this site brought this up: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/science-a-better-formula-for-fitness-872/. If you're using something like this as a guide and you have a naturally lower HR then you're going to overdo it trying to work to those figures.

If you've only just started exercising you'd be better off avoiding hard structured workouts anyway, just do enough at a pace that should initially feel too easy, build up slightly and keep going for a while till you feel like you've 'done a bit' but could do a little bit more. Otherwise you'll be sore, feel like carp and recover slower. Better yet, if the weather allows, wrap up and get out on the real bike (note to self: get out on the bike and stop reading posts :oops: ), it'll be more fun and you'll feel better for the fresh air.

If you really want to do a HR test to find out your max: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/training-heart-rate-training-1022/. Mind you, that link isn't very realistic for most people who won't want to fork out for a test, and you can do it yourself if you've a mind to put in a REAL, HARD, effort. For that reason alone, you really should build up to it first though, getting in a couple of months regular riding, and some stretching post-ride, as the test will really take it out of you, and the riding before-hand will enable you to better judge your effort and pace yourself when it comes to it. Just to cover myself, I should probably tell you to see a doctor as well, just in case you try to sue me after you get a heart attack :wink:

There's a few different ones, a lot of them tell you to ride up a long hill, which is silly unless you live in suitable countryside. This is one I've done, from a book I don't recall, but the general pregression is the same in most tests. PS: It hurts, the test is quite short, but very hard. You'll need a nice long quiet stretch, preferably straight. if there IS a hill you can use and time to start it once you've done the spins and 5 mins steady riding afterward, that's good as it will help you to up your effort.

Warmup:
    Easy ride for 5 mins

spin pedals light and fast for 1 min

ride steady 1 min, repeat to 3 repetitions

Another 4 mins steady riding (bringing you up to 5 mins ride after last spin effort)

Ride for another 5-10 mins, increasing effort till you're riding at a sustainable pace but feel like your working a bit

Check your HR, now try to increase pace by 1MPH if you're on a flat, or HR by about 10bpm (see note at end regarding the HR option) every 2 minutes

When you are unable to increase your MPH, or your HR...try harder! Still can't do it? Nows the time to MTFU and SPRINT! when you're done you should be on your knees holding onto the bike to stay upright, or just not giving a f...and laying on the verge and wishing you hadn't read this, you may be crying with the physical relief (I know I was, in a manly way of course :oops: ), I've even read of some people throwing up :twisted: . Sounds cruel but that's the reason they tell you to get a proper test, cos it's such hard work you might not be able/willing to put in the necessary effort without a whip! I'm assuming your monitor will also record your Maximum HR, which is actually liable to peak just AFTER you stop. Don't forget to make a note in case you lose it! 10 mins rest and you should be able to muster the energy to get home..slowly. Eating a snack bar and sports drink or weak squash will also make you feel a bit better before you toddle off home.

THAT NOTE I MENTIONED: There will probably be a delay in HR readings as you work harder, you probably won't actually see your HR react immediately, it could take 30 secs or more, individuals react differently. I'm lucky enough to live near a very flat bit of country road so was able to measure by MPH, which made it less complicated.

Heh

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad
  • wilo13 wrote:
    Out of interest why do you want to know your Max HR?

Wanting to do some zone training for base endurance - my mate did it for a while nd now beasts me when we're out I can't have that can I?!
  • After all that waffle, I forgot to mention, I know that my bike puter does funny things near my pc, it makes my 'wheels' go round though I'm not going anywhere and and there are no speed readings, increasing my ride time without adding mileage, brings down my avg speed. On rides, power cables and such can also affect my readings, including HR I believe, allthough I can't PROVE that it's the over-head line that's keeping my HR reading much lower than usual on an otherwise similar climb. If you've got your laptop stuck right in front of you, like inches away, then you may be getting a similar effect.

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad
  • wilo13 wrote:
    wilo13 wrote:
    Out of interest why do you want to know your Max HR?

Wanting to do some zone training for base endurance - my mate did it for a while nd now beasts me when we're out I can't have that can I?!

Well if that is the case your better off working out your HR zones based on your Threshold HR.

Do a test:

1. 15min warm up of easy spinning with a few 30 second bursts of a really high cadence.

2. Do a 30 minute all out effort (Record your average heart rate for the final 20 minutes of this effort).

That figure should be close or a good estimation of your Threshold HR.

Plug the figure into this HR zone calculator:

http://www.indoorrider.com/hr-calculator/

Bobs your uncle!

Sweet thanks wilo I'll look into this. How often do you retest?
  • After all that waffle, I forgot to mention, I know that my bike puter does funny things near my pc, it makes my 'wheels' go round though I'm not going anywhere and and there are no speed readings, increasing my ride time without adding mileage, brings down my avg speed. On rides, power cables and such can also affect my readings, including HR I believe, allthough I can't PROVE that it's the over-head line that's keeping my HR reading much lower than usual on an otherwise similar climb. If you've got your laptop stuck right in front of you, like inches away, then you may be getting a similar effect.

It's about 3 ft although my phone was very close as well as the computer on the exercise bike
  • 220 minus the age you feel.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    220-age works exactly equals my measured max.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    jotko wrote:

Congrats - you must be in the 0.1% of the population where 220-age actually means something....
  • Imposter wrote:
    jotko wrote:

Congrats - you must be in the 0.1% of the population where 220-age actually means something....

Me too. The law of averages says that there are going to be a few of us.
    Even a clock that is not working is right twice everyday.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • I'm 41, I can manage a few sportives and ride a couple of times a week when I can. I do have times when I'm off the bike for a while and loose some fitness. Last time I checked resting HR it was about 60, My maximum recorded HR often gets over 195bpm and it hit 206 last August. I'm not sure what this means other than the 220 - age is way off for me.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    That calculation puts my max at 188bpm, but I can go over 200bpm on the monitor if I need to. These calculations are rubbish.

Max heart rate isn't very useful anyway. A lot of people can't even push to their max. Functional threshold HR is much more useful for training zones.
  • ednino wrote:
    That calculation puts my max at 188bpm, but I can go over 200bpm on the monitor if I need to. These calculations are rubbish.

Max heart rate isn't very useful anyway. A lot of people can't even push to their max. Functional threshold HR is much more useful for training zones.

Functional threshold? Is this lactate threshold as wilo said?
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    yes, same thing he's talking about.
    Its the max power you can maintain

Also safer than trying to push your heart rate to silly numbers for a test