Total noob question about turbo trainers

Jules Winnfield
Jules Winnfield Posts: 299
Right, ive noticed that a few people i follow on Strava use turbo trainers quite a lot and i want one myself at some point. Now obviously i realise that you are not actually moving cos you are riding a stationary bike, but how can your iPhone, Android phone or Garmin GPS actually tell you how far you have travelled if your GPS point is fixed and not moving?

I mean if i had a turbo and i started the timer on my Garmin 510, then it would only tell me how long i have been "riding", not the distance. Yet on Strava, all the info is available to see.
Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set

Comments

• JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Dunno about options for a phone, but with a garmin you use a speed/cadence sensor which measures wheel revolutions and works out the distance from that.
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    Distance will be calculated by wheel size, but it doesnt really mean much on a turbo.
  • JackPozzi wrote:
    Dunno about options for a phone, but with a garmin you use a speed/cadence sensor which measures wheel revolutions and works out the distance from that.

Ahh, i got you. So because i have a Garmin 510, i take it all i need is to get is a GSC 10 wireless speed/cadence sensor and that will give me the "distance" i have travelled when using a turbo?
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Yes, a GSC10 is all you need, although I believe there are other slightly cheaper options out there, any ANT+ speed/cadence sensor will work.
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    And if it's a manual entry you can put in whatever mileage you want.....