Do this wheelset go with this frameset, opinions please

ascurrell
ascurrell Posts: 1,739
edited January 2014 in Road general
Hi Guys, got these wheel and frameset, not bought to go together but thought I would get peoples opinions [I know mine]
Any comments and constructive criticism welcome, please be gentle with me.

Basically if it's negative I will probably put the Giant wheels up for sale or swap so if anyone interested get in touch.

Thanks all in anticipation, Alan

DSCI0607.jpg
DSCI0605.jpg
DSCI0604.jpg
DSCI0608.jpg
DSCI0602.jpg

Comments

• ascurrell
    ps. I know I had the front wheel wrong way round in a couple of pics
  • Do you have a partner? Ask your partner, people on this forum have horrible taste... just have a look at the stuff they ride... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Looks cack IMO, but then white rims almost always do.
  • get some new decals for the frame and wheels and it'll be fine. sure there's a thread on here somewhere :shock:
  • ascurrell
    Three replies and three different answers, certainly dividing people.
    Regarding comments, my Wife isn't that keen and we normally never agree on anything !!

Looks cack !! Wonder what they're like in dark lol

Change decals, not sure that would be easy without damaging frame ??? interesting.

The frameset actually came off bikeradar sales forum, it isn't new but never been built up, Velo Vie are a bike shop in Arizona USA. They now have a few different bikes.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Not really a fan of white wheels or black frames but think they do look pretty good together.
    Would get a better idea with tyres on and it depends what all the other bits are too.
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    frame is ace but the wheels dont suit a black frame
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • dont change the decals, just put more on, never have enough decals
  • Put on some black tyres, black finishing kit with white saddle and bar tape and it'll look more balanced colour-wise.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    Looks ok to me, but is it just looks you are after?
  • zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    No, in my opinion, but then I've never been a fan of white wheels.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Black tyres, bars stem and saddle and i think it will look pretty good. :wink:
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    Great to see that frame built up after a year wasted gathering dust in my garage!! I forgotten how nice it is. In my humble opinion, the wheels don't suit. Stay black. Enjoy.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    black wheels are needed IMHO
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I ride white AC's. They look amazing. Lots of people hate them. They still look amazing!
    Insert bike here:
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    I think it's fine. Stick with those 3 colours for the rest of the build and it should look good.
  • ascurrell
    Thanks for all the opinions, they vary but all appreciated.

Personally I think black wheels would suit better.

The remarks about looking better with a bit more kit on I think is spot on, problem is I've got so much to choose from except wheels that don't match.
    Anyone got any black ones for a decent price or swap / part ex shimano,

Cheers all appreciated
  • ascurrell
    djhermer wrote:
    Great to see that frame built up after a year wasted gathering dust in my garage!! I forgotten how nice it is. In my humble opinion, the wheels don't suit. Stay black. Enjoy.

Hi, yes it's been a while, haven't really ridden a bike since I bought the frameset [well for four years and four Operations] anyway decided to make a start. It's my first carbon frameset [my ti airborne has been in loft for 4 years] and what I like about it is it's rarity. I'll keep you updated with it's gradual build.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    i think they clash with your bars and saddle
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • ascurrell
    Don;t you like my wood effect bars and saddle ??
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273

This - and I am talking from experience.

I started here
    8325792481_50d1a64e1a_z_d.jpg

But ended here
    9320862564_0b57c0ae8a_z_d.jpg
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ascurrell
    Actually they both look good IMO but the final is is a better and not so in your face.

I love yellow [or flashes], I like Black with flashes of green and yellow but of course wouldn't go with the Velo Vie frameset. Out of interest what wheels has your bike got now,
  • mpatts wrote:
    I ride white AC's. They look amazing. Lots of people hate them. They still look amazing!

I agree with this. :-)
  • smidsy wrote:

I started here

But ended here

I have nothing against Aer420's as I have a pair myself but they just dont work in the top pic. Bottom pic configuration looks far better.
  • smidsy wrote:

I started here

But ended here

I have nothing against Aer420's as I have a pair myself but they just dont work in the top pic. Bottom pic configuration looks far better.

+1 on the excellights, transformed my trek 1.5, fluid over cracked surfaces, instantaneous accelleration on the sprint, smooth power transfer on hills..... okay, feels exactly the same as the bontrager 32 spoke I had on before but look nicer and save a whole 200g or thereabouts :shock:
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    OK, here is mine - excuse the poor picture:

1186789_10151489556860378_1252378157_n.jpg

Personally, its important what I think of it, not what everyone else does. Otherwise I'd be riding an Allez.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, I have now cut the stem.

I keep meaning to switch the bar tape to Black mind.
    Insert bike here:
  • mpatts wrote:

Personally, its important what I think of it, not what everyone else does. Otherwise I'd be riding an Allez.

nice! white wheels go with the white frame but you need some white high 5 tabs for your bidon, or some milk
  • ascurrell
    After all you comments and input I am on the look for another set of wheels so if anyone has any going for a good price approx £150 budget
    or
    interested in buying my giant ones on here, just a thought,
    seriously thanks for confirming my fears,
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    mpatts wrote:

How do the bars stay on after you've cut the stem? Or did you mean steerer? :wink:
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ascurrell wrote:
    After all you comments and input I am on the look for another set of wheels so if anyone has any going for a good price approx £150 budget
    or
    interested in buying my giant ones on here, just a thought,
    seriously thanks for confirming my fears,

Have a look at PX AL30's weigh about 1650gms + skewers, different spoke counts available.