planking

gubber12345
gubber12345 Posts: 493
Whats do you guys think of planking as a way of building up a good strong core.from what I read its supposed to be extremely good for it.

any view's on this and are any of you doing it and if so whats your opinion on it....worth doing or not.

PS
I tried it tonight and got to say it was pretty tough doing it for 5 x 30 secs at a time,but could feel it engaging the muscles.
Lapierre Aircode 300
Merida

Comments

• macroadie
    macroadie Posts: 172
    I like planking esp since it has various ways you can make it more difficult. I mix it up with deadlift and side planks. Do you do any other exercises?
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Plank is a good fundamental one.
    Try this vid for some tips on core workouts. I've taken a few from there which I use regularly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVct9di8 ... CF1E0F8EEF
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Whats do you guys think of planking as a way of building up a good strong core.from what I read its supposed to be extremely good for it.

any view's on this and are any of you doing it and if so whats your opinion on it....worth doing or not.

PS
    I tried it tonight and got to say it was pretty tough doing it for 5 x 30 secs at a time,but could feel it engaging the muscles.

Strengthening the core is useful if you have some kind of pre-existing weakness, or back problems, or similar. The benefits of strengthening an otherwise 'normal' core is a bit less clear to me, to be honest. Nothing wrong with doing it, and it certanly won't do any harm, but I can't really see why you would need to from a cycling point of view...
  • macroadie wrote:
    I like planking esp since it has various ways you can make it more difficult. I mix it up with deadlift and side planks. Do you do any other exercises?
    Yeah I do a little 45 min workout of the planking with a few sets of lunges and squats.then alternate nights with a cycle/turbo session.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • I thought all cyclists just did this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tom-Danielsons- ... 193403097X

Includes planking.
  • Imposter wrote:

PS

Strengthening the core is useful if you have some kind of pre-existing weakness, or back problems, or similar. The benefits of strengthening an otherwise 'normal' core is a bit less clear to me, to be honest. Nothing wrong with doing it, and it certanly won't do any harm, but I can't really see why you would need to from a cycling point of view...
    Dont really have any problems as such but do think my core is a bit weak, I really struggle when on the drops and cant stay down on them for any length of time at all, I thinking weak core so I'm try and strengthen up and see how it works out for me.

gonna try a few tt's this yr and since I dont have a tt bike the drops will be my next option....or maybe a set of clip on bars.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Dont really have any problems as such but do think my core is a bit weak, I really struggle when on the drops and cant stay down on them for any length of time at all, I thinking weak core so I'm try and strengthen up and see how it works out for me.

gonna try a few tt's this yr and since I dont have a tt bike the drops will be my next option....or maybe a set of clip on bars.

Maybe your drops are in the wrong position, or you are simply not used to riding in that position for sustained periods?
  • TakeTurns wrote:
    Plank is a good fundamental one.
    Try this vid for some tips on core workouts. I've taken a few from there which I use regularly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVct9di8 ... CF1E0F8EEF
    Great little vid TT....some good ideas to mix it up a bit.thanks
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • Imposter wrote:

Maybe your drops are in the wrong position, or you are simply not used to riding in that position for sustained periods?
    Had a bike fit done imposter so if anything its more than likely not used to the position.maybe I should incorporate a few cycles where I just stay in the drops.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    1377.jpg
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I thought all cyclists just did this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tom-Danielsons- ... 193403097X

Includes planking.

Good book!
  • dw300 wrote:
    1377.jpg
    :lol::lol: dont think I'll be doin that anytime soon
    Lapierre Aircode 300