Mavic Cosmic Elite, Ksyrium Elite

Gunnsie
Gunnsie Posts: 171
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to upgrade my wheelsets and was wondering what's peoples thoughts on the: -

Mavic Cosmic Elite

Or

Mavic Ksyrium Elite

Would these be much of an upgrade to my Shimano RS10 wheels?

Cheers!!!

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Do a search and all will be revealed (by about a million other threads) :roll:
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Cosmic elite = a bit average and probably overpriced I'd say

Krysium elite = fantastic wheels and there's usually a deal to be had somewhere. Not cheap to fix if something goes wrong.
  • Gunnsie
    Thanks very much Pete, Ksyrium were my top choice out of the 2.... Will keep an eye out for any deals.

Solboy, very helpful, thanks!
  • If you can get them anywhere for less than at http://www.4thebike.de please let us know as common knowledge is that they currently have the lowest prices in europe.

Well, that's what I think anyway.

I bought ksyrium elites there at 75% of the lowest uk price! even accounting for shipping to the uk. That was only ten euros BTW.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Ksyrium Elite are a good step up from RS10, you'll feel it under acceleration. Personally I think they feel stiff but quite wooden.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Haven't tried either but Fulcrum Quattros seem better regarded than Cosmic Elites for a similar type of semi aero alloy wheel. Ribble had them at a good price the other day. Might be worth a look.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Haven't tried either but Fulcrum Quattros seem better regarded than Cosmic Elites for a similar type of semi aero alloy wheel.

If that is true it says a lot.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Gunnsie
    Can anyone tell me the difference between the Ksyrium Elite and the Ksyrium Elite S at all?

I can get hold of a set of used Ksyrium Elite (non S) with used Gatorskin tyres for £250... is this a good deal?

Cheers!
  • If you can get them anywhere for less than at http://www.4thebike.de please let us know as common knowledge is that they currently have the lowest prices in europe.

I bought ksyrium elites there at 75% of the lowest uk price! even accounting for shipping to the uk. That was only ten euros BTW.

Is there anyway to get that site to display english? their price seems to good to be true...
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    edited January 2014
    Just use chrome brower as it will translate the site for you, bought Mavic Ksyrium Elite S from them a couple of months ago. Came with tyres and in Mavic box. 10 euro to ship to ireland, loads of users on boards.ie bought them without issue.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    The maybe a good wheel but Ksyrium Elites look like they belong in the cycling equivalent of The Fast and the Furious, they're covered in transfers/stickers and the rims look slightly odd with the black and silver finish.
  • Gunnsie
    OK, so what other wheelsets are there out there for £250 that would be better than the Mavic Ksyrium Elite?
  • Dowtcha wrote:
    Just use chrome brower as it will translate the site for you, bought Mavic Ksyrium Elite S from them a couple of months ago. Came with tyres and in Mavic box. 10 euro to ship to ireland, loads of users on boards.ie bought them without issue.
    They must be the 2013 version at that price?
  • Gunnsie
    If you can get them anywhere for less than at http://www.4thebike.de please let us know as common knowledge is that they currently have the lowest prices in europe.

Is there anyway to get that site to display english? their price seems to good to be true...

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... bike.de%2F
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    That price is insane. £320 delivered to the UK :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Dowtcha wrote:
    They must be the 2013 version at that price?

Just checked and I bought them on the 11/11/13 and guys on boards.ie have been buying them since the summer of last year so yes they are 2013 wheels. Has something change with the Ksyrium in the last 6 months? These wheels are the same Ksyriums that you will pay 600 euro on other sites. They are the latest Ksyrium and come with a Mavic warranty.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    They are a no brainer at that price!!

Bozman, you could hardly describe the graphics as OTT. I actually really like the way the look. For OTT, have a look at almost any deeper section carbon wheel. Elites are subtle in comparison.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Gunnsie wrote:
    Can anyone tell me the difference between the Ksyrium Elite and the Ksyrium Elite S at all?

I can get hold of a set of used Ksyrium Elite (non S) with used Gatorskin tyres for £250... is this a good deal?

Cheers!

Hi Gunnsie,

The "S" denotes that the wheelset is equipped with tyres (in this case Mavic's Yksion Pro Griplink and Powerlink) plus there are a number of small updates which help shave some weight over the previous non "S" Elite model.

Hope that helps.

Mike
    Mavic Community Manager
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Gunnsie wrote:
    OK, so what other wheelsets are there out there for £250 that would be better than the Mavic Ksyrium Elite?

I paid less than that for new Campagnolo Zondas with Shimano freehub.They outscored the Ksyrium Elites in the German magazine 'Tour'. For all intents and purposes though I would of thought that mid-price Mavic/Fulcrum 5/ Zonda are so close as to make no difference.
  • Gunnsie
    Ok, thanks Mike that is a big help. Well I managed to knock him down to £225 and they come with a set of Gatorskins, a 105 cassette and the Mavic QRs. I'll let you know what I think once I have cleaned them up and been for a blast on them.
    Chris
  • Gunnsie wrote:
    Ok, thanks Mike that is a big help. Well I managed to knock him down to £225 and they come with a set of Gatorskins, a 105 cassette and the Mavic QRs. I'll let you know what I think once I have cleaned them up and been for a blast on them.
    Chris

Welcome to the dance Chris! ;-)

Ride safe!

Mike
    Mavic Community Manager
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    adamfo wrote:
    Gunnsie wrote:

I paid less than that for new Campagnolo Zondas with Shimano freehub.They outscored the Ksyrium Elites in the German magazine 'Tour'. For all intents and purposes though I would have thought that mid-price Mavic/Fulcrum 5/ Zonda are so close as to make no difference.

Adam the Zondas would be an equivalent of Cosmic Elites, they are not a patch on the Kysirium Elites. Fulcrum 5 aren't on the same page. I think you may have the wrong Elite flavour.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • yakk
    yakk Posts: 589
    Would probably agree with Adamfo re Zondas, ie <30mm rim height(well, 30 rear and approx. 26 front), 1555g, similar to Elites, not 'aero' like Cosmic elites. No rim tape needed (slight weight saving). Feel nice to ride. Also cheaper, can often be had with discounts at Ribble etc for around £250.
    Enjoy your wheels, sounds like you have a deal with cassette/tyres.
    Yak
  • Gunnsie
    Thanks for all your help guys..... hoping to get some time over the weekend to clean them up and chuck them on the bike and ride.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    adamfo wrote:
    Gunnsie wrote:

I paid less than that for new Campagnolo Zondas with Shimano freehub.They outscored the Ksyrium Elites in the German magazine 'Tour'. For all intents and purposes though I would have thought that mid-price Mavic/Fulcrum 5/ Zonda are so close as to make no difference.

Adam the Zondas would be an equivalent of Cosmic Elites, they are not a patch on the Kysirium Elites. Fulcrum 5 aren't on the same page. I think you may have the wrong Elite flavour.

Sorry, I meant Fulcrum 3. I've got a back issue of one of the British rags where Fulcrum 3 won the grouptest.The Ksyrium Elites did OK too. The Zonda/Fulcrum 3 are almost identical apart from spoke spacing on the rear.

http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/collect ... s/racing-3

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/wheels ... tid_10.jsp

The tests in Tour magazine are far more in depth than those in the British press and include a wind tunnel.

The Cosmics are heavy deep rim wheels.
  • Took the plunge on a set of the Ksyriums, hoping they will turn up by the end of the week. Found 4thebike.de's Friederike very helpful!
  • harrijames wrote:
    Took the plunge on a set of the Ksyriums, hoping they will turn up by the end of the week. Found 4thebike.de's Friederike very helpful!
    I did the same and they arrived yesterday. Couldn't be happier.
  • Mart74
    Mart74 Posts: 111
    harrijames wrote:
    Took the plunge on a set of the Ksyriums, hoping they will turn up by the end of the week. Found 4thebike.de's Friederike very helpful!

Have they got an advisory max rider weight limit on them? I noticed they've not got many spokes
  • I'm not too sure, I'm 87kg so hoping they'll be fine with a little TLC every now and again. I've got a set of 32 spoke handbuilts for the winter.
  • Mart74
    Mart74 Posts: 111
    harrijames wrote:
    I'm not too sure, I'm 87kg so hoping they'll be fine with a little TLC every now and again. I've got a set of 32 spoke handbuilts for the winter.

Similar weight to me. I could do with an upgrade :lol: