42 YO, Unfit and looking to start commuting!

13»

Comments

• Cycool
    Cycool Posts: 51
    Also not a big fan of Ebay or Gumtree, had bad experiences in past on ebay and try to avoid if possible.
    Trek 4500 Disc
    Ribble 7005 Audax
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I'll give you comments on the Allez as I have one - it was my first roadbike and has now been brought back into service as a dry/damp commuter and winter training bike.

Mine has carbon forks - the only bit I don't "like" about it is the groupset - its Shimano 2300 - I'm planning on changing that to 105 (or possibly tiagra) later in the season. It's the same geometry as my carbon bike and just a kilo or two heavier.
    The only changes I've made to it are replacement wheels & tyres and normal running maint... I got a course PB on my commute yesterday morning and I've ridden the same course many times on the carbon bike - so the bike itself won't hold you back.
  • Cycool
    Cycool Posts: 51
    Thanks for that, they do seem to get favourable reviews from owners and nice looking bikes. Will keep my eye out on second hand prices, I may get lucky. Would prefer this over the new Felt but the Felt has very good reviews on Wiggle and may be a good alternative for upgrading later. Wish I could afford the Ribble... maybe some flowers and a bit of begging coming up!
    Trek 4500 Disc
    Ribble 7005 Audax