42 YO, Unfit and looking to start commuting!

Cycool
Cycool Posts: 51
edited February 2014 in Commuting general
Hi All

Having had a brilliant new baby last July (well my partner, not me!) I am looking to save money and get a bit fit by cycling the 6 miles to my office! I have a bike already but it's a hardtail mountain bike, Trek 4700 Disc 2011, which I have kitted out with semi-slick tyres and lights. If all goes well I will upgrade this later as finances permit. I have a helmet which I look a bit of an idiot in and have ordered some lycra shorts and base layers and a day-glo commuter jacket. I have spare tubes and a repair kit in my rucksack along with tyre levers and a pump. I don't have a computer for it as I'm not looking to race to work but just hopefully a gentle ride in with a few small hills. I'm hoping to start the ride this Thursday and may start with 2 days a week to build me up to full 5 day ride. Can anyone offer any advice as to additional kit I might need and how to overcome the fear of looking like a complete muppet with my skinny legs and cycling gear! I guess we all have to start somewhere but fear that if I'm ridiculed on my first few tries it may put me off altogether on the idea.

Any advice gratefully received. :D
Trek 4500 Disc
Ribble 7005 Audax

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    shorts in -3°C ? hmm you're brave!

An idea of where or what sort of roads/paths you're commuting on would help ... but you're pretty much set.
    You need somewhere secure to park your bike - possibly a lock (mine is in my office so I don't bother).

If you do get ridiculed then laugh at the idiot(s) - cycling is a very good way to get fit and doing it whilst you ride to work saves both time and money.

Riding to work brings it's own issues - washing and clothing at work, as mentioned bike parking, getting wet on the way to/from - protecting your phone/wallet from that wet.
    Talking of clothing - full leggings at this time of year for most of us - trousers could work too - gloves are also handy as is a buff or something to put around your neck/ears/head as the temperature drops off ...

Most of us seem to have full mudguards on at this time of year otherwise we'll end up filthy - and all our kit does too.

If you have a smart phone you could record your ride on something like strava - not to compete with others, just so you can see how you're progressing - it can help with motivation - especially if there are segments up them hills! ;)
  • Cycool
    Thanks for the advice. It's not particularly cold here in Surrey at the moment and my legs never seem to get too cold (they're so thin I think the wind misses them!) but will definitely look into some longer leggings. I have a massive lock for the bike but it's quite heavy so may leave at work. We have a secure car park with bike rack so should be safe enough and we have shower facilities if needed. I guess I could use jeans at this time of year to get started and see how things go. Will look at getting some ear protection as my ears seem to get cold very quickly.
    Some good points to look into thanks!
    Trek 4500 Disc
    Ribble 7005 Audax
  • Cycool
    I'm not sure it'll be in all weather initially, I'm semi-brave rather than stupid and don't want to put myself off the idea. I have a lot of thermal gear and gloves etc as I do like to be cosy most of the time especially on the epic shopping expeditions with the missus! Will have a look at the straw reflectors, they sound like a good idea till the long sunny days come back.
    Trek 4500 Disc
    Ribble 7005 Audax
  • I use baggy shorts and lycra "leg warmers" so that I can use my shorts in the summer as well.

You don't really need a computer. Most smartphones have apps to track your ride (I use sports tracker, many use strava) if you're not interested in speed you can put it in your pocket, if you are you can buy smartphone mounts for your handlebars.

I'd also recommend a rack with panniers when you get a chance. Its much more comfortable to not have a sweaty back when you arrive at work.

Hope this helps.
  • Cycool
    Hmm yeah baggy shorts may be an option and possibly slightly less embarrassing initially, especially in this cold weather. Panniers may be an option but would prefer to not spend too much money now until I upgrade my ride later in the year. Plus I'd imagine my mountain bike is going to be heavy enough as it is for road use. Thanks for the advice. I have an android phone so may use this just to see if I'm getting any faster on my journey but really want to work up my fitness gradually instead of trying to force better times and faster rides. It'll be nice just being out in the fresh air for a change rather than my old habit of sitting in my car in traffic puffing on a ciggie and getting stressed out.
    Trek 4500 Disc
    Ribble 7005 Audax
  • slowbike
    I'm a bit further south in Sussex and it was -3° first thing ... hoping it's a little warmer on the way back, but it doesn't matter much.

I wouldn't ride in jeans - if they get wet they'll stick to your legs and sap away heat quickly. I've got a pair of walking trousers that I added some poppers to around the ankles to make them tighter when riding - I use these on casual rides.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Windchill is a big factor -leggings are a bit of a must, as are gloves and overshoes (or as I did for ages, deep heat and double socks!)

Look at planet x, good and cheap.

Other than that, just do it - you sound like you have the kit you need, and I can guarantee you will love it!
    Insert bike here:
  • "Other than that, just do it - you sound like you have the kit you need, and I can guarantee you will love it!"

This.

You can reward yourself with more gadgets for your bike after 3 months when you start realising some of the financial benefits. By then you should already be starting to appreciate the physical benefits.
  • I am 44 yo, unfit and relatively new to commuting, so very similar to you.

Worried about looking odd in your bicycle helmet? don't. Nobody looks odd in a bicyle helmet. Or we all do.Either way, welcome to the club!

I think you've got to put all worries of looking ridiculous to one side when you're on a bike to be honest. Personally, I'd never wear anything bright or garish normally, but on my commute I try go for bright colours all round. Luminous jacket, top, bright red socks even - you say you've got a new baby (congratulations by the way), I've got a young family too so I'm going to take all necessary steps to be as safe as possible and get back to them in one piece (if that doesn't sound too mawkish) so I make myself as easy to see as possible. And If I driver says to himself "look at that dayglo fashion disaster" well, at least he's seen me.

Having said all that my camo shorts do rock. As does my heinz beans foska shirt.

Enjoy the commute, and banish all fears about how you look!
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Juddlinski wrote:
    As does my heinz beans foska shirt.

Just googled that shirt - it is awesome! Want one. And the Coleman's Mustard one.

OP - don't forget lights - to see with on unlit roads or be seen by traffic on well lit roads.

When I started a 6 mile commute every day 2 years ago on hardtail mtb it took me about 30 minutes at first and I slept so-o-o-o-o well at night. You get used to it quickly. I found I was much hungrier at first so consider taking a bit of extra food at first, but try to ease this back again or you'll not get the full benefit of losing something off your waistline (if you need to) :) .
  • Cycool
    I have lights. 2 on front, 1 on back and one on rear of helmet. With hi-viz and reflective strips on my jacket I should be pretty visible. I'm not looking to lose weight as I'm about the right size for my height, it's mainly just to get fitter for when my little boy wants to play footie or go for a cycle later in life. Don't want to miss out on these things just because I've been lazy for years. Also I assume Sports Day at school still have a Daddy's Race and don't want to embarrass the little man! :oops:
    Trek 4500 Disc
    Ribble 7005 Audax
  • Cycool
    My commute will be 6 miles on well lit main roads but may look at getting better lighting. I'm definitely not looking to keep up with junior as he could probably outpace me already in a rolling race (he's 6 months so not walking yet). I'm definitely looking forward to getting a child seat and going off on adventures with him in a couple of years, and also getting my partner back on her bike. Just keeping my fingers crossed for a dryish day tomorrow or i'll be in the car again.
    Trek 4500 Disc
    Ribble 7005 Audax
  • First of all well done for starting :-) that's the hardest part. I am mid 40s and 17.5st, and commute 10miles each way 3 times a week.
    It was hard at first but it does get easier. I also started on a hardtail, and moved up to my Planet X XC bike last autumn.
    It seems you are sorted with the headgear etc. My advice would be lights, and treat all car drivers are stupid until proven otherwise (which will be never!!).
    Good luck and have fun, I know I did (and still do).
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Cycool wrote:
    My commute will be 6 miles on well lit main roads but may look at getting better lighting. I'm definitely not looking to keep up with junior as he could probably outpace me already in a rolling race (he's 6 months so not walking yet). I'm definitely looking forward to getting a child seat and going off on adventures with him in a couple of years, and also getting my partner back on her bike. Just keeping my fingers crossed for a dryish day tomorrow or i'll be in the car again.

My little one spend many a mile being dragged behind in a trailer.

Now she is so desperate for a road bike she asked to postpone christmas until she is big enough to get one (she's 8 in April).

Happy days!
    Insert bike here:
  • redhanded
    redhanded Posts: 139
    Baggy shorts with lycra shorts/tights underneath are my preferred commuting gear as you can stick stuff in the pockets and the baggies are pretty versatile for general use anyway.

If you are organised, you can take clean clothes in at the start of the week, and the dirty clothes back at the end and cycle in between so you minimise what you are carrying on the bike.

I also leave a lock at work, although it can be handy having one with you if may be stopping off en-route at shops.

If you are bringing in work clothes, I recommend setting these all out, or even packing them the night before. I used to do this in the morning before setting off - not a good idea given my befuddled mind just after getting up - so when arriving at work, discovered I had forgotten to pack trousers. To save work colleagues the sight of me sitting around in baggies, I needed to nip out to a local M&S and buy some, but you may not be as lucky to have shops close by...
  • Cycool
    Have ordered some long winter trainer trousers (tights) from Wiggle so hopefully will be warmer tomorrow. Legs definitely felt the chill this morning. Thoroughly enjoyed pootling in to work though instead of sitting in the car and am looking forward to the ride home, even with cold legs.
    Trek 4500 Disc
    Ribble 7005 Audax
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Good for you. I never, never regret having cycled in when given the choice.

And here I am sat with a cast on a broken hand having come off on the ice last week :-(
  • notnot
    notnot Posts: 284
    Good on you for starting cycling. 6 miles is a nice distance for getting fitter.

I'm not sure you need much, if any, more kit than you've got - when the weather's not horrible, I find 6 miles comfortable to do in normal casual clothes (though you may have higher dress standards when at work than I do, and if you're really going for it you may want a change of clothes in case you're sweaty ;) ). Of course, if you like the idea of buying more riding gear, go for it :) What's likely to let you get faster most quickly, though, is getting fitter as you get more used to riding longer distances. Enjoy!
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    when I was 15 I used to cycle 6 miles in workclothes and steel toe capped boots
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Yeah, you'll get faster, I've literally cut mine in half. My minimal commute in is 6.6 miles, when I started it took me ~45 minutes, now I can do it in under 22 minutes if I get lucky with traffic and lights.

As others have said you don't need cycle specific gear unless and until it becomes a way of life, hobby, passion rather than just a way of getting to and from work. That said, upgrading your bike and kit does make you faster...
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Cycool
    Well I've cycled 3 times to work and back so far and it is truly knackering for me. The cold wasn't too bad with jeans, Brashers (I know, not ideal), dhb commuting jacket, altura ear warmer, Met helmet (ugly as hell, looks like a mushroom on my little head) and some Altura gloves (toastie!). My lights work well apart from back light which is very wobbly so will replace this week. I have my GoPro camera mounted on my handlebars at the moment but may mount it to helmet in future (I love my gadgets!) and have ordered a Garmin Edge 200 to track my progress. sadly my bike needs some attention as currently only have 2 working gears which are OK on flat but downhill the bike is going faster than my little legs can cope with. Having no knowledge of how to fix it I have booked in my bike for a service this Thursday so hopefully they'll be able to sort this for me. My time so far has been 40 mins for the 6 miles which I'm happy with for now. Takes about the same in the car with all the traffic. I'm enjoying it all so far and feel happier on my bike than in the car so hopefully i'll keep at it. Aiming to build up to 5 day commute in Summer and then get my little boy out for rides at weekends. Anyway i'll keep you posted on my progress and thanks everyone for the encouragement! Have also cut out the fags from 20 a day to 1 or 2 a day, and hopefully none in a few weeks! :D
    Trek 4500 Disc
    Ribble 7005 Audax
  • Cycool
    Cheers Oxo. I intend to learn a little about maintaining my bike as I'm sure it'll get expensive using the LBS all the time but for the first service I thought I'd get it done professionally so nothing goes wrong halfway along my route. I've looked at Strava and I believe I can upload my data from the Garmin 200 to it so hopefully will feed my geeky side and keep me interested (if I improve!)
    Trek 4500 Disc
    Ribble 7005 Audax
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Needs a like button :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Cycool
    Morning all, in car today =( Bloody traffic was horrible. Also have a bit of a cold coming and my bike goes in for service tonight so will be driving again tomorrow and possibly Friday. Will try and get out at weekend to make up for it I think. I do, however, have an issue. My bum feels like its pretty badly bruised from cycling yesterday. I only had jeans on so no padding other than saddle but how does everyone cope with these problems? Can I get a better saddle or is it just a case of breaking through the pain barrier? God I feel old and battered. Just want to get back out there!
    Trek 4500 Disc
    Ribble 7005 Audax
  • First of all - nice one, I was probably in a similar situationto yours although a bit younger (34 at the time), did 8.5 miles each way 3 times a week.
    3 years on and I do at least 13 miles each way 4 or 5 times a week, in about 50 minutes - not bad for a fat lad on a hybrid :)

Re saddle - from memory, yes it was pretty uncomfortable to start with, but I've either developed resistance to it or just lost all sensation down below!

Keep it up though!
  • Cycool
    Cheers Woopidstanker, I feared it may be a case of grin and bear it for a while. Why is getting fit never easy?
    Trek 4500 Disc
    Ribble 7005 Audax
  • You've only been doing it for a week or so, am I correct?
    Think I really started to notice the difference 2 or 3 months into it - leg muscles feeling great etc...
    Great fun doing it through the winter too! Snow storms, the lot! :)
  • Cycool
    Yeah 3 times I've done the 6 mile commute so far. It is really hard for me as I am/was a smoker of probably 15 a day. I'm down to 1 or 2 a day but am going to fully quit in next few weeks. My aim is to get fit in time for my little son to start cycling and not embarrass him with wheezing and puffing after a mile or so. As a side effect I am also going to be saving about 70 quid a week, which is a massive incentive while my partner is off on maternity leave. All this is really helping me to commit to the commute and all the help and encouragement here is also keeping me going.
    Trek 4500 Disc
    Ribble 7005 Audax
  • slowbike
    It depends what the pain is - pressure points or rubbing sores?

Normal underwear isn't best for riding - seams add points where it can rub and that's uncomfortable.

Padded undershorts or padded shorts are the way to go .... but there is an element of your arse getting used to being on a saddle!
  • Aye definitely padding!
    And you will soon find yourself pedalling along happily and realise that you are not out of breath - if I can anyone can :)