Injuries

robpiper
robpiper Posts: 23
I only bought my first road bike around 8 months so I'm really new to cycling and all the possible injuries you can get.

I'm due to undertake a charity ride in the summer cycling End to End in 9 days (100 miles a day) and I've recently started upping my distatances during my training to ensure I'm ready for this. I'm now upto a 45 mile ride and plan a 50 mile ride this weekend. However, I've now noticed some niggling injuries which didn't occur on my shorter, daily commute to work but only during, or after, the longer ride.

In essence I'm getting pain at the tip of my fibula. At first, I thought this could be my IT Band so I've bought a foam roller and I'm doing exercises to strengthen this. However, I often get numbess down the outside of my foot and feel tightness up the outside of my calf during a ride. I've traced this up the calf and towards the tip of the fibula and I'm wondering whether this could be the problem? Is anyone aware of this? Also could it be how I have my cleats set up?

Fianlly, during my last ride after about 30 miles I started to feel pain in my Achilles which I've never felt before. I don't think I've strained it and think it may just be bruising. I wondering whether the tightness of overshoes over the top of my tights may have caused the problem since I've never experienced this before. Does anyone have any ideas?

When I bought the bike, the shop set me up on it so I believe it is fitted correctly. I'm a little relucatant to pay for another bike fit as they are quoting £180.

Comments

• dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    If you are planning to put in high mileage-you owe it to yourself to get a bike fitting-tell your fitter about these niggling problems (which typically rear their head when you up the miles) and get it sorted. The last thing you want is to have to take time off nearer to the challenge for silly little things.....
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • olake92
    olake92 Posts: 182
    You could start some stretching, foam rolling and gentle self massage to make your body more functional and therefore less prone to injury. Such things may also solve your existing niggles. I would still recommend making sure your bike fit is 'dialled in'.

Before seeing a bike fitter, you can do a lot of it yourself using Steve Hogg's website. Some of his blog requires payment to view, but the important bike fitting stuff doesn't.

Some stretches to start you off are here on Bikeradar, plus you'll find plenty more if you do some searching.

In terms of self massage, I find trigger point therapy (myofascial release) to be most effective, and the easiest to perform on your own. Google it and you'll get plenty of ideas. 5 minutes sitting down and gently pressing trigger points (or knots) until they release works wonders, usually takes 20-120 seconds for me per trigger point. If you're not sure what I mean by trigger point, use your foam roller on your quad or ITB (for example) and if you find an excruciatingly painful bit, that's the spot! Just like those 'knots' used in massage lingo.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about the human body to diagnose you online though!
    I'm on Twitter! Follow @olake92 for updates on my racing, my team's performance and some generic tweets.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Unless you have a pre-existing condition it is most likely the setup of your bike. As you ride further any slight setup issues become more apparent. In my case on rides over an hour the saddle was painful, I got inner knee pain, pain in the back of my ankles and lower back dull ache. Never had any issues in twenty years of mountain biking at all.

Read on the web various articles about how to set the bike up and can now ride for over four hours with no pain during or after riding. In my case the saddle was too narrow(now replaced), the saddle was too far back and my bars were too low. If I was doing 100 miles a day for nine days I would take time to make sure my bike is comfortable doing the distance well in advance. Good luck :)
  • Guys

Thank you for the help.

Olake92 - I'll definitely look at the links you've provided and also the self massage options.

Kajjal - The self set up will also be useful too.

Thank you
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    The pain in your lower leg is more than likely where your hamstring inserts. When you up the miles and tired your quads you can give your posterior muscles more of a workout than theyve likely ever had.

Ice, ibuprofen, rest. If it starts to hurt while riding, knock it on the head for the day. You can use ibuprofen before the ride to delay or stop the inflammation too.

I'd increase your volume and keep intensity low. That'll give your connective tissue time to adapt, and will be the type of riding you'll be doing. Then throw in the odd higher intensity ride when you feel uninjured.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    If you are only at 45 mile rides now - with aches & pains - then I think planning 9 consecutive days of 100 mile rides in a few months time may not be very sensible.

It takes a long time to get muscular and tendon strength up to a level where you could do this sort of riding...

Not trying to spoil the party, but I think it's a very, very big jump in a very short amount of time.
  • pcb24
    pcb24 Posts: 98
    I work with lots of cyclists with the same issues you mention. Numbness in the leg is a sign of nerve compression. Where you report the numbness and symptoms to be is the common peroneal nerve. The cause of the compression on the peroneal nerve could be multi-factorial. A bike fit as mentioned above would be a good place to start. It would be interesting to see your lumbar spine position (low back) as this is where the route of most nerve related problems stem from (not all).

With regards to your achilles tendon, tendonopathies are an over use injury. You mention stepping up your training but remember to build up slowly. Sudden and dramatic increases in distance, time or speed are the worst things you can do to your tendons. I would advise that you do not increase the volume or intensity just yet. I would decrease your training regime back a little until you get your symptoms under control. There is a lot of good research coming out for tendon rehab which is based upon isometric rehabilitation. I would suggest you start with simple heel raises, holding onto the wall and holding for 45 seconds, repeat x 5 each day. You can do bent knee and straight knee isometric heel raises.
    Cervelo S2
    Langster for the winter